Ted Roof

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting..... I like what Ted brings as far as recruiting and knowing about the Institute, but his defense leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder if we could move him to Recruiting Coordinator/ Director of Player Personnel/ Linebacker coach and bring in a more aggressive DC.

I do understand that he has been handicapped with talent and depth though.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Who would we hire or who would want to come here? It's obvious we have no $. Our staff is one of the lowest paid in the ACC. Only option I could see is an up and comer who will leave for a higher paying job in a few years or another Groh type at the end of his career still trying to hold on to a job.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I personally like Roof and think he's a great fit. You can't really judge him based on this year's results. Injuries, bad offense, etc. all combine to make this defense look rough. They're just really overworked IMO. And when the offense is as bad as it is, the morale of the whole team suffers.

Look at our defensive numbers over the past several years. Roof hasn't been any worse than any of the other guys we've had, save Tenuta. Continuity is better than continuously replacing the DC IMO.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I personally like Roof and think he's a great fit. You can't really judge him based on this year's results. Injuries, bad offense, etc. all combine to make this defense look rough. They're just really overworked IMO. And when the offense is as bad as it is, the morale of the whole team suffers.

Look at our defensive numbers over the past several years. Roof hasn't been any worse than any of the other guys we've had, save Tenuta. Continuity is better than continuously replacing the DC IMO.
CM,

it will interesting to see what you think after next yr when he won't have SIX SRS and 2 JRs playing on DEF-- THIS should have been his big yr to carry team,we knew OFF would struggle,the OFFhas been carrying the DEF for yrs with high scoring and TOP.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
CM,

it will interesting to see what you think after next yr when he won't have SIX SRS and 2 JRs playing on DEF-- THIS should have been his big yr to carry team,we knew OFF would struggle,the OFFhas been carrying the DEF for yrs with high scoring and TOP.

I'll be sure to let you know! ;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Look at our defensive numbers over the past several years. Roof hasn't been any worse than any of the other guys we've had, save Tenuta. Consistency is better than continuously replacing the DC IMO.

FWIW, I hate the practice of repeating something so often that people begin to think it's true. It is simply NOT TRUE that the quality (or lack thereof) of our offense is a significant factor in our defensive performance. We are #90 giving up 4.85 yards/carry (rushing defense) in the 1st quarter while giving up 4.83 yards/carry for the whole game. Yes while we give up 6.7 yards/passing attempt for the whole game, we only give up 6.5 yards/attempt in the 1st quarter. However, we give up 7.0 yards/attempt for the 1st half. Fwiw, for all games, our 6.7 ypa puts us at #50 D in this category. 6.5 ypa would've put us at #42 and 7.0 ypa at #63.

You are right that Roof has not been significantly worse than previous DCs, but he's not been significantly better.

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, I hate the practice of repeating something so often that people begin to think it's true. It is simply NOT TRUE that the quality (or lack thereof) of our offense is a significant factor in our defensive performance. We are #90 giving up 4.85 yards/carry (rushing defense) in the 1st quarter while giving up 4.83 yards/carry for the whole game. Yes while we give up 6.7 yards/passing attempt for the whole game, we only give up 6.5 yards/attempt in the 1st quarter. However, we give up 7.0 yards/attempt for the 1st half. Fwiw, for all games, our 6.7 ypa puts us at #50 D in this category. 6.5 ypa would've put us at #42 and 7.0 ypa at #63.

You are right that Roof has not been significantly worse than previous DCs, but he's not been significantly better.

We were terrible on D last year too, until Roof started scheming more aggressively. He did that because he/CPJ knew that even if we allowed the other team to score, our offense was good enough to come right back and score as well. This year, our O obviously isn't as good, so Roof is scheming more conservatively like he did at the beginning of the season last year. Granted, we should still not be this bad at playing conservative. (I personally don't like that. I'd rather take chances and be aggressive, but whatever. I'm not the coach, which is probably a good thing.)

You have a good point though. Maybe I'm just too trusting, but I still like Roof. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next year.

Who would we hire or who would want to come here? It's obvious we have no $. Our staff is one of the lowest paid in the ACC. Only option I could see is an up and comer who will leave for a higher paying job in a few years or another Groh type at the end of his career still trying to hold on to a job.
Charlie Kelly. Roof was hired to be in position to ascend to the top job, because CPJ was tettering on the precipice. Then 2014 happened. Now what do you do with him?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I was not crazy about the hire, but I think overall he has done a good job. I have stated so several times, especially last season. IMO he (nor anyone else) can really change what we can do on defense from a scheme perspective. We will only be successful if we send numbers and take a lot of chances. His hands have been tied this year because our offense cannot win a shoot out that they could have last year. He cannot take the chances he took last year because games would probably get out of hand. In order to have a better defense we are going to have to get better on offense. That is just reality IMO unless we suddenly get a mature front 4 that can apply pressure without bringing extra numbers. We have not had that in a while, and we are not going to have that next year. Over time our freshmen and sophomores may be able to apply a consistent pass rush with only 4, but that is more than a year away and they will have to develop/mature.

One side note here. We can get a lot better at the fundamentals, especially tackling. That would help a lot regardless of how aggressive we are. This is the only area where I feel like Ted can have a sizable impact, and should have a sizable impact on what we are able to do on the field.

I personally see no reason to change DCs unless Ted just wants out. Feel free to disagree, but go watch other games with your favorite DC and imagine what they could do with our roster. A lot of defenses are successful because of the front 3 or 4 guys, and that is true from high school to the pro levels.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't anticipate seeing CTR gone next year. I think the D is wrapping up better than they were two years ago.
AJG (#15) has shown signs of WOW, but has messed up too, same with some of the other "up and comers".

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Bud Foster may be needing a job next year.

I like Ted and think second half of the season last year Ted is the Ted we need every game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At least we have stopped recruiting 6-'5" defensive tackles .
Now recruit one star every year and let him play as a freshman on a gt signature aggressive defense!