Tech vs Va postgame

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all the "ugly win" comments. I thought UVA was tough on both sides of the ball. Our offensive execution and effort seemed to be there, but what looked like good plays turned into 2 yard gains. B Backs were grinding out 3 yard gains. It felt like Virginia had 12 in the box. A couple of false starts were ugly, but thankfully we haven't seen any of those in a long time. TQM made some good plays tonight and it's pretty obvious he's been beat up this season.

I mentioned the reverse above. Not sure JC is the guy you want running that.

I enjoyed the game tonight. Agree with @Jerry the Jacket this is the best game I've seen this year. Our guys are tough. I'm proud of the team.

To Hell With Georgia!

I don't get all the "ugly win" comments. I thought UVA was tough on both sides of the ball. Our offensive execution and effort seemed to be there, but what looked like good plays turned into 2 yard gains. B Backs were grinding out 3 yard gains. It felt like Virginia had 12 in the box. A couple of false starts were ugly, but thankfully we haven't seen any of those in a long time. TQM made some good plays tonight and it's pretty obvious he's been beat up this season.

I mentioned the reverse above. Not sure JC is the guy you want running that.

I enjoyed the game tonight. Agree with @Jerry the Jacket this is the best game I've seen this year. Our guys are tough. I'm proud of the team.

To Hell With Georgia!
The false start down in the red zone on our first possession of the game prevented an almost certain TD, because until then TQM had been eating them alive. Cottrell would have been the better choice for the reverse.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Sheesh, are all others schools running Yahoo message boards or something?
Lots of butthurt here but some are classy (i.e., "great game!"). Fans are definitely different than the Miami ones.

They're still having nightmares that started with Sisson... poor fellas...

Attachments

• gt-va-forum.jpg
    gt-va-forum.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 155

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The uva dl stopped our blocking cold, used good technique to break free for any cut back, and as coach said the back 8 for uva was good. This was a very well coached defense.
Even though we played a mistake free offensive game and got our long plays at mid field we could not prevail inside the 30. The ability to finish (failed 4 and short) and in the red zone looked like the ol was out matched physically - either too lean or too heavy. Let's give it to uva defense- they are a some what talented group that is way way way coached up.

As coach basically said - WW had an amazing game (thank goodness he showed up.)

The st play won this game because the offense didn't loose it.
The defense did all it could (@ this stage of implementation w this set of players) against a super talanted who is also way way coached up.

Best game of year and I m at a wedding sneaking off to look at swarm chat!!!

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I haven’t posted here in a while. Just like to say what an awesome win and a complete team effort.

Wells is lethal. I said I needed a Wesley wells jersey when he made consecutive extra points earlier in the season.

Also, big shout out to Saint Armour. On uva last play, the qb leaped. Had SA not hustled his butt off to stick the qb, they would’ve gotten that first down.

Also big shout out to uva’s Kicker

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The offense certainly left points on the field, but it’s interesting to note, we scored 21 points in 9 drives (I give the offense 1 point credit for the 2 pt conversion on the kickoff return).
This is 2.3 points per drive and UVA was holding teams to 1.9 points per drive before last week.

While this doesn’t excuse us for not scoring more when we had the opportunity, it should be noted that we performed better than most teams facing UVA this year. We did not have a “bad” offensive showing. We had an average showing. Thankfully our D also had a solid night and ST had a great one.

Last edited:

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Great win for our team! Cavalier defense had us figured out offensively but with true grit we hung in there enough to come out with the win. Our special teams take a lot of grief but yesterday they were the difference, great job. It would be fantastic to beat the leg humpers Saturday, but in any case, my hat is off to this team for accomplishing what they have despite a miserable start.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
AJ was a good athlete and quality player for us but he is not going to be able to touch this guy. J Thomas is the most fluid athlete I have seen at Tech in a long time. Makes plays effortlessly. Did you see him catch the punt? Like I would catch a tennis ball up above his head. Watch him on kickoffs and punts. He WANTS the ball. He thinks he is going the distance every time.
I will add that he is one of the most under rated athletes we have had based on recruiting sites. could be viewed as a 5 star kid when said and done. He is just a stud!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
For some reason I never felt like we were going to lose this game. I thought we were starting to wear them down in the 3rd/4th quarter, but they just kept fighting. They are a tough bunch and well coached. Winning this game (as tough as it was) helps prepare us for next week where we will be underdogs. UGAg is a momentum team. We will have to withstand their initial onslaught and keep punching. If we can hang with them going into the 4th we can knock them out. We have nothing to lose next week, we just need to keep punching and see what happens.

Jacketbacker17

Jolly Good Fellow
Best college football game that I have ever been to!!!! Go Jackets baby!!!!
Yeah it was a great one to be at. It’s jusg a shame that nobody was there to support. It’s smbarrasing that we were only at 50% attendance today. Had the basketball players calling out the fans. We’ve all gotta get on board and support these boys in both sports. It’s embsrrasing going to games with half attendance. And then we want to complain about recruiting. He wants to come to a place that fans don’t show up and support you? Pitiful.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Keys to the game. Turnovers and special teams. Rinse repeat. So much focus on O and D, yet if you simply play cleaner than the other guys then it seems the odds are in your favor.

It would be interesting if someone looked back on this season and prior seasons and looked at how often those two things alone affect the outcome of the game. Seems acutely true of us this year in W's and L's when it's between two evenly matched teams i.e., not Clemson or the scrubs on the schedule.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Wells has ice in his veins. Won the game as a walk on freshman. Incredible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better freshman. Why did it take 4-5 games to figure out he was the best kicker on the team? Offense looked about like I thought they would. Bronco beats up on CPJ for whatever reason, his defenses just know how to defend the offense. I thought TO had a nice drive early in the game and then he didn’t get much of a chance after that when we went for it on 4th down instead of yet again not taking the points (very frustrating). Overall it was a great team win though. Our defense almost blew it, but for whatever reason they don’t blow it like Teds defenses always seemed to do. I think we’re going to beat Georgia. Go Jackets!