Tech vs Va postgame

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Going for Two is the correct call. It's a very rare situation where you are up by 4 points, an extra-point gives you a 5 point lead, and a two-point-conversion gives you a 6 point lead. Read my post here about how many possessions a lead is worth. Four, five, or six points are all .5 possession leads. In this situation you should try to score as many points as possible, there is essentially risk, no impact on the game, in the short-run while the extra points might pay off later in the game... and they did.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I also was surprised by the 3rd down pass call prior to our fg. I wonder if maybe WW kicks better from the left hash and a pass would either result in a td or keep ball on the left hash.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Man I thought that was the best college football game I have seen this year. It was a freaking war. Both teams were battling their arses off. I really thought when they stopped us on fourth and short in the second half we were done. They just seemed to want it more than us at that stage in the game. But to our guys credit, they refused to let that dishearten them. They stayed in there and slugged it out, toe to toe to the very end and then carried it on into the overtime. That catch by Brad was just short of miraculous, Wells made so many clutch kicks, Harvey was once again a weapon that helped us win another close one. The line play was a dead standoff on both sides of the ball for both teams. I certainly saw plenty to critic but at the end of the day we just outlasted them. You could say we were lucky to win but I think you would have had to say the same for them if they had won. Now it's on to Athens where I think we have a legit shot to shock the world. Momentum is a funny thing.

Go Jackets!

To Hell with Georgia.

I wasn't planning to go to this game, I had to take my wife to the airport at 2:30 PM to make her flight. But as I was going home and passing Tech downtown I spontaneously whipped up the 10th street exit, turned left on Spring Street and drove to my 3rd street parking deck and whipped through the I-75 tunnel, bought a ticket and got inside about midway through the 1st quarter. What a game! My advice to everybody is, Be Spontaneous! You never know what great moments you might miss.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Okay, maybe this is just me, but every game we play on Fox Sports South or Raycom is absolute chaos. Like, things happen in those games that don't usually ever happen, to the point where I feel uneasy if we have a game scheduled on one of those channels.

Well, more than likely it is going to be a Coastal game. They don't call it "Coastal Chaos" for nothing. Any conference division with Jekyll/ Hyde characters like both Techs, Miami, and Virginia is going to be crazy. Just the way it is.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't planning to go to this game, I had to take my wife to the airport at 2:30 PM to make her flight. But as I was going home and passing Tech downtown I spontaneously whipped up the 10th street exit, turned left on Spring Street and drove to my 3rd street parking deck and whipped through the I-75 tunnel, bought a ticket and got inside about midway through the 1st quarter. What a game! My advice to everybody is, Be Spontaneous! You never know what great moments you might miss.

Let me get this right Lex...you want a bunch of engineers, button down business types, typical Tech geezer fans to be uh, "spontaneous"? Hmm...nope ain't happening.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well, more than likely it is going to be a Coastal game. They don't call it "Coastal Chaos" for nothing. Any conference division with Jekyll/ Hyde characters like both Techs, Miami, and Virginia is going to be crazy. Just the way it is.
Correction. There is only one Tech. There is also Virginia A&M, better-known as Vippy-Sue.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Going for Two is the correct call. It's a very rare situation where you are up by 4 points, an extra-point gives you a 5 point lead, and a two-point-conversion gives you a 6 point lead. Read my post here about how many possessions a lead is worth. Four, five, or six points are all .5 possession leads. In this situation you should try to score as many points as possible, there is essentially risk, no impact on the game, in the short-run while the extra points might pay off later in the game... and they did.
You never know what’s going to happen, so I usually disagree with going for two that early. Here’s a scenario for you...say we are up 11-7 and miss the two point conversion and Virginia score a TD. Now we are down 3 and a field goal ties where it would have given you the lead had you taken the XP.

For me there are two schools of thought that make sense. If you’re going to play the numbers, then the reasons for going for two only make sense in the fourth quarter. Other than that you should take the Xp.

The other philosophy is much more fun, and actually has some merit....always go for two.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
The number of fans in attendance was embarrassing given the momentum the team has, game time, and incredible weather. The fans that showed up were loud and proud and did their best to make up for those who couldn't bother to make it out to support our student-athletes.
I finally made it to a game (travel baseball and competitive cheer kept me from other games). I was surprised by the light attendance but it was rocking at the end. My theories were that UVA does not travel well (band does not travel either) and that many students:fans had already left town for the Thanksgiving holiday. That being said I think it’s time to get more aggressive in recruiting new fans. Winning is the best way obviously but also figure out other alternatives.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I think it's crazy to chase points in the 1st quarter when anything can happen with 3/4+ of the game to go. In fact, I think CPJ stated this in a game earlier this year or last year when he chased early, was unsuccessful and said he knew better in the postgame press conference. For example, there could be another safety, which caused the situation to begin with. I totally disagree with CPJ's call. But it worked and made a difference in the end.
it was after the wake game last year