Tech vs Va postgame

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it was a great one to be at. It’s jusg a shame that nobody was there to support. It’s smbarrasing that we were only at 50% attendance today. Had the basketball players calling out the fans. We’ve all gotta get on board and support these boys in both sports. It’s embsrrasing going to games with half attendance. And then we want to complain about recruiting. He wants to come to a place that fans don’t show up and support you? Pitiful.
Yeah the attendance was shameful:rolleyes:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few thoughts:
1. Winning a hard fought scrappy game against a very tough opponent is not "ugly". The game I watched looked like a great title bout between evenly matched opponents. These are the kind of games with the greatest amount of value attached to them. A blowout win last night would have been great but certainly not expected.
2. The flow of the game went about as I expected. The guys we have available to spy Perkins are not fast. As long as he was playing they were going to possess the ball. That is like kryptonite for option teams. Perkins kept plays alive for seemingly forever. I give props to our D, big time, for having to cover and run all over the field for all those minutes and not let this thing get away from us.
3. Going to the EZ on 3rd and 1 was a great call by UVA, SO LONG AS THEY HAD ALREADY DECIDED TO GO FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN. I am still scratching my head on that one. Calling for a FG after that just looked dumb. If you knew you were going to kick, just run on down 3. Call me thankful.
4. UVA was as successful as they were on D because they loaded the box with all 9 defenders inside the tackles and under 8 yards of depth much of the time. They absolutely dared us to throw and gave our WRs no respect. It is tough to get a hat on everybody when it is all jammed up like that. Their backside players were superb all night reading their keys and staying disciplined. They flowed hard to play side when they needed to and stayed home when we ran misdirection, almost as if they had our plays. I wouldn't be surprised if they had lip readers on a camera relaying our calls ( I have zero evidence, just saying I wouldn't be surprised). Their D is physical up front and very fast in the back. The field was small.
5. IMHO this was the worst officiated game I have seen in a long while. They missed sooo much out there that was obvious from the stands. A few off the top of my head: Off pass interference in south EZ, Camp getting held, obvious face mask on Howard, not reviewing the fumble/incompletion that UVA recovered (never had control), multiple holding calls, missed OL movement.
5. Last night was the very definition of a team win. Special teams came up huge with a great game. The defense overcame a very bad match up and did just enough. The offense had to wait a bunch and still execute against a well prepared and physical team.
6. If you think we were lucky and didn't deserve it, consider this: last game we had a punt hit our player, causing a turnover, and we did enough to overcome it and win. UVA had it happen last night and couldn't. That single play was a bit of a gift, but punting them down to the 1, getting the safety, returning the KO, and every single FG, were all well earned and great plays in their own right. When STs makes plays, your team has earned it just as much as hitting a well blocked 3o play for a TD. It is about time we enjoyed some of those. Having a lopsided win where the team across from you lays down (like Louisville) is not my measure of a great game necessarily.
7. Despite the average to below average crowd size, the home fans impacted the game. They were disrupted and flustered many times. Good for us.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Wells has ice in his veins. Won the game as a walk on freshman. Incredible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better freshman. Why did it take 4-5 games to figure out he was the best kicker on the team? Offense looked about like I thought they would. Bronco beats up on CPJ for whatever reason, his defenses just know how to defend the offense. I thought TO had a nice drive early in the game and then he didn’t get much of a chance after that when we went for it on 4th down instead of yet again not taking the points (very frustrating). Overall it was a great team win though. Our defense almost blew it, but for whatever reason they don’t blow it like Teds defenses always seemed to do. I think we’re going to beat Georgia. Go Jackets!
Agree except for one point, Uva bailed us out at the end of regulation. Before that botched fake spike play, our D let them march down the field with ease.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's crazy to chase points in the 1st quarter when anything can happen with 3/4+ of the game to go. In fact, I think CPJ stated this in a game earlier this year or last year when he chased early, was unsuccessful and said he knew better in the postgame press conference. For example, there could be another safety, which caused the situation to begin with. I totally disagree with CPJ's call. But it worked and made a difference in the end.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I think it was Tariq
Wells has ice in his veins. Won the game as a walk on freshman. Incredible. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better freshman. Why did it take 4-5 games to figure out he was the best kicker on the team? Offense looked about like I thought they would. Bronco beats up on CPJ for whatever reason, his defenses just know how to defend the offense. I thought TO had a nice drive early in the game and then he didn’t get much of a chance after that when we went for it on 4th down instead of yet again not taking the points (very frustrating). Overall it was a great team win though. Our defense almost blew it, but for whatever reason they don’t blow it like Teds defenses always seemed to do. I think we’re going to beat Georgia. Go Jackets!

Regarding the first question in your post: “Why did it take 4-5 games to figure out he was the best kicker on the team?”, I will repeat my answer to this question for the umpteenth time:

It took Wells a little while to adjust to place-kicking off of the ground in college, after he had been used to place-kicking off of a kicking block (tee) in high school.

Why can’t some folks understand this??

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it was a great one to be at. It’s jusg a shame that nobody was there to support. It’s smbarrasing that we were only at 50% attendance today. Had the basketball players calling out the fans. We’ve all gotta get on board and support these boys in both sports. It’s embsrrasing going to games with half attendance. And then we want to complain about recruiting. He wants to come to a place that fans don’t show up and support you? Pitiful.

From the TV the south endzone especially looked bad. We almost need to do what ATL United does at the Benz and close off sections to make the stadium look more full if we aren't going to sell out tickets.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Someone said there are difference between HS and college from the way you can kick and it took him a while to get used to it.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the first question in your post: “Why did it take 4-5 games to figure out he was the best kicker on the team?”, I will repeat my answer to this question for the umpteenth time:

It took Wells a little while to adjust to place-kicking off of the ground in college, after he had been used to place-kicking off of a kicking block (tee) in high school.

Why can’t some folks understand this??

Huh?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A few thoughts:
1. Winning a hard fought scrappy game against a very tough opponent is not "ugly". The game I watched looked like a great title bout between evenly matched opponents. These are the kind of games with the greatest amount of value attached to them. A blowout win last night would have been great but certainly not expected.
2. The flow of the game went about as I expected. The guys we have available to spy Perkins are not fast. As long as he was playing they were going to possess the ball. That is like kryptonite for option teams. Perkins kept plays alive for seemingly forever. I give props to our D, big time, for having to cover and run all over the field for all those minutes and not let this thing get away from us.
3. Going to the EZ on 3rd and 1 was a great call by UVA, SO LONG AS THEY HAD ALREADY DECIDED TO GO FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN. I am still scratching my head on that one. Calling for a FG after that just looked dumb. If you knew you were going to kick, just run on down 3. Call me thankful.
4. UVA was as successful as they were on D because they loaded the box with all 9 defenders inside the tackles and under 8 yards of depth much of the time. They absolutely dared us to throw and gave our WRs no respect. It is tough to get a hat on everybody when it is all jammed up like that. Their backside players were superb all night reading their keys and staying disciplined. They flowed hard to play side when they needed to and stayed home when we ran misdirection, almost as if they had our plays. I wouldn't be surprised if they had lip readers on a camera relaying our calls ( I have zero evidence, just saying I wouldn't be surprised). Their D is physical up front and very fast in the back. The field was small.
5. IMHO this was the worst officiated game I have seen in a long while. They missed sooo much out there that was obvious from the stands. A few off the top of my head: Off pass interference in south EZ, Camp getting held, obvious face mask on Howard, not reviewing the fumble/incompletion that UVA recovered (never had control), multiple holding calls, missed OL movement.
5. Last night was the very definition of a team win. Special teams came up huge with a great game. The defense overcame a very bad match up and did just enough. The offense had to wait a bunch and still execute against a well prepared and physical team.
6. If you think we were lucky and didn't deserve it, consider this: last game we had a punt hit our player, causing a turnover, and we did enough to overcome it and win. UVA had it happen last night and couldn't. That single play was a bit of a gift, but punting them down to the 1, getting the safety, returning the KO, and every single FG, were all well earned and great plays in their own right. When STs makes plays, your team has earned it just as much as hitting a well blocked 3o play for a TD. It is about time we enjoyed some of those. Having a lopsided win where the team across from you lays down (like Louisville) is not my measure of a great game necessarily.
7. Despite the average to below average crowd size, the home fans impacted the game. They were disrupted and flustered many times. Good for us.

The 3rd down pass call into our end zone by UVA's offensive coordinator had their fans screaming for his scalp last night for the reason you cited. If you are going to go for the TD, why not run for the first down with your do it all quarterback? It really did not make sense to kick the field goal in that situation. Playing "clean" makes all the difference in the world. There was only one turnover last night (I think) and we got it. One question I have is did someone get their hand on the ball on the last field goal try by UVA or did the kicker just miss it that much? Looked like one of Tevin's helicopter throws (just kidding).

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Agree except for one point, Uva bailed us out at the end of regulation. Before that botched fake spike play, our D let them march down the field with ease.

I was a bit frustrated with coach for passing on that last play before we kicked the long FG. We had a minute left, I wanted to burn some more clock and get a little closer to the goal posts. Had we been able to run some more clock or force them to burn another timeout, it may have not made it to OT. When we scored that FG, I turned to my wife and said we left to much time on the clock.

But overall I thought CPJ called a much better game than the Virginia coach.

Milwaukee

Banned
I think it's crazy to chase points in the 1st quarter when anything can happen with 3/4+ of the game to go. In fact, I think CPJ stated this in a game earlier this year or last year when he chased early, was unsuccessful and said he knew better in the postgame press conference. For example, there could be another safety, which caused the situation to begin with. I totally disagree with CPJ's call. But it worked and made a difference in the end.

I agree, but the card says go for 2 there and the card doesn't account for time remaining, but I think it should. I never chase in the 1st half, personally. And I've currently won 11 titles in 19 seasons on NCAA 06 so believe me I know what I'm doing. #legend #stillplaysPS2

Milwaukee

Banned
I was a bit frustrated with coach for passing on that last play before we kicked the long FG. We had a minute left, I wanted to burn some more clock and get a little closer to the goal posts. Had we been able to run some more clock or force them to burn another timeout, it may have not made it to OT. When we scored that FG, I turned to my wife and said we left to much time on the clock.

They still had plenty of timeouts, the shot to the End zone was a perfect call imo.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
The number of fans in attendance was embarrassing given the momentum the team has, game time, and incredible weather. The fans that showed up were loud and proud and did their best to make up for those who couldn't bother to make it out to support our student-athletes.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but the card says go for 2 there and the card doesn't account for time remaining, but I think it should. I never chase in the 1st half, personally. And I've currently won 11 titles in 19 seasons on NCAA 06 so believe me I know what I'm doing. #legend #stillplaysPS2
That is the difference between you and me. I go for 2 every time in the game and I've won 10 titles in 10 years. Up your game man :):).

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agreed. I was against it at the time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

That was a tough situation to call. Knowing that the 48 yarder is going to be made (in hind sight) makes it a lot easier decision. A run for no gain pretty much ices the game. If they lose their second TO right there, they probably don't get into FG range before the clock runs out in regulation. Keeping that second TO proved costly. However, in real time, with an unproven deep kicker, I think I would have tried to go with whatever play gives me the best chance to move the sticks, burn more clock with a fresh set of downs and shorten the ensuing kick to the point it was closer to a "gimme", regardless if it was a run or a pass. What makes a pass a riskier play there was opening up the potential for a sack, pushing us out of range, let alone clock management. I guess coach really trusts his senior not to take one. On the flip side, we rarely lose yards when we run.

D@mned if you do and d@mned if you don't.