TECH VS MIAMI POSTGAME

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You're asking the wrong people. If you really want these answers, simply call the GT medical staff and demand they answer to your satisfaction what all of these terms really mean.

Let us know what you find out.
I don't really need to. Its obvious that he was in fact cleared to play. Unless you think several medical professionals were willing to risk their livelihoods and the school was willing to risk considerable lawsuits for an outside chance at a bowl game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't really need to. Its obvious that he was in fact cleared to play. Unless you think several medical professionals were willing to risk their livelihoods and the school was willing to risk considerable lawsuits for an outside chance at a bowl game.

Well, if you are sure of your answers, why keep asking other people on these boards?

JacketFan137

Banned
cleared to play and being an emergency qb is two totally different things.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I was just giving my opinion on the topic being discussed like everyone else. If you want me gone so badly just permanently ban me and get it over with.

Nope. Just wondering why you are so persistent in this. Sufficient explanation has been given. You are not satisfied with said sufficient explanation. You've made your point. I'm just wondering why we now have several pages of innuendo that is damaging to the reputation of one of our student athletes. As was seen above, his parents see and read this stuff.

My takeaway: If we want to keep our student athletes on our team and not give them additional reason to hit the transfer portal, then maybe we should consider giving them the benefit of the doubt when things happen that we don't like. It would be the classy thing to do.**

**the bolded part is not aimed specifically at you or any other font but at the fanbase in general.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
i never said this wasn’t a team sport. i just don’t know why you chose to demean our student athletes calling them nfl jock sniffers
You’re right, I re-read my post and that was what I wrote but not what I meant. The point I was trying to make was all this NFL talk moved us from where our strength normally is- the whole is better than the sum of the parts. We marched in a regime which was all in on getting guys to the NFL and not centered around GT winning games. You get guys in the NFL by improving individual skills, not teamwork. Yes, better skilled players can make a better team but we’ve seen decades of GT football where much lesser talented players playing as a team have bested way more talented teams playing as individuals on a team. Look no further back than 2016. No way we deserved to win, but we played team ball not “get me ready for the NFL” ball. The team that played like that lost.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
I've had a couple of days to think about that game after seeing it in person. I was incredibly disappointed that we didn't win that one; it was like the UVA game in that we should've, could've, would've and didn't. The last 2 Miami scores were because of desperation on our part, so I think the real score is 21-7 (our last was almost a give-me) But it could have been a W...we were even at half in terms of first downs, although Miami had the ball twice as long as us. At the end, we had more yards than Miami. Heartbreaking loss, and I hate it became a blowout.

Pyron was struggling. I don't know if he was already hurt - he was passing fast and high, and of course had the 2 interceptions. So not playing as well as he did last week, but we were moving the ball - just not finishing drives as usual. Great to see Dante on the field!!! I didn't see Pyron get hurt - he just didn't come back in the game and we were still in a position to come back at that point, so it really bothered me that they put Gibson in. I didn't realize Pyron was hurt and Sims was "unavalible" - I thought maybe someone gave up on Pyron, which was hard to swallow at the time. 2 of the interceptions were on the 2 yd line/endzone so if we had finished drives....!!!

D was struggling with the run. 11 and 4 were running ALL over us!!! We never got to the outside or set the edge. WHY are no adjustments made at half? I like that Key wants to not second guess playcalling and allow his people to do their jobs, but when we can't execute or there is a ongoing issue, we need him to tell them to make some adjustments. And for the love of Pete, STOP making ends cover people in the backfield!!!

The one thing I'm proud of our guys for is that they did not engage in the extra curricular activity that Miami was trying SOOOO hard to get going. I have always hated Miami and their attitudes in general and what you didn't see on TV is what I saw in the stands. Every play into their sideline meant some Miami player was trying to start crap with our players. At half, they started something on the field. Under CGC, this would have resulted in about 5 different personal foul penalties throughout the game at inopportune moments. Hats off to Key for getting this under control because Miami made it hard to stay in control of your emotions I'm sure.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
And of our three RBs who had the most yards per carry? Again? Smith, of course. For the sake of all that's holy, give the guy 20 carries and let's see what happens. RB by committee simply stalls out the RBs without getting them into the flow of the game.
If they didn't get Jamyr Gibbs 20+ carries every game (they didn't) then you can forget anyone else getting it.

If I had landed a top player like Gibbs, he'd be my feature back immediately and he'd get a minimum of 20 touches every game, regardless of game script. If we were behind by 28 points in 4th quarter he'd still be getting carries and catches becuase he was our best talent on the field and gave us the best chance at success.

I am still ANGRY how little we used the best recruit to GT since Calvin Johnson. CGC was a goof in more ways than one. Gibbs usage rate was criminal.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I've had a couple of days to think about that game after seeing it in person. I was incredibly disappointed that we didn't win that one; it was like the UVA game in that we should've, could've, would've and didn't. The last 2 Miami scores were because of desperation on our part, so I think the real score is 21-7 (our last was almost a give-me) But it could have been a W...we were even at half in terms of first downs, although Miami had the ball twice as long as us. At the end, we had more yards than Miami. Heartbreaking loss, and I hate it became a blowout.

Pyron was struggling. I don't know if he was already hurt - he was passing fast and high, and of course had the 2 interceptions. So not playing as well as he did last week, but we were moving the ball - just not finishing drives as usual. Great to see Dante on the field!!! I didn't see Pyron get hurt - he just didn't come back in the game and we were still in a position to come back at that point, so it really bothered me that they put Gibson in. I didn't realize Pyron was hurt and Sims was "unavalible" - I thought maybe someone gave up on Pyron, which was hard to swallow at the time. 2 of the interceptions were on the 2 yd line/endzone so if we had finished drives....!!!

D was struggling with the run. 11 and 4 were running ALL over us!!! We never got to the outside or set the edge. WHY are no adjustments made at half? I like that Key wants to not second guess playcalling and allow his people to do their jobs, but when we can't execute or there is a ongoing issue, we need him to tell them to make some adjustments. And for the love of Pete, STOP making ends cover people in the backfield!!!

The one thing I'm proud of our guys for is that they did not engage in the extra curricular activity that Miami was trying SOOOO hard to get going. I have always hated Miami and their attitudes in general and what you didn't see on TV is what I saw in the stands. Every play into their sideline meant some Miami player was trying to start crap with our players. At half, they started something on the field. Under CGC, this would have resulted in about 5 different personal foul penalties throughout the game at inopportune moments. Hats off to Key for getting this under control because Miami made it hard to stay in control of your emotions I'm sure.
I thought the defense played the run much better in the 2nd half until Gibson came in then they went flat and collapsed after the failed 4th down try

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re right, I re-read my post and that was what I wrote but not what I meant. The point I was trying to make was all this NFL talk moved us from where our strength normally is- the whole is better than the sum of the parts. We marched in a regime which was all in on getting guys to the NFL and not centered around GT winning games. You get guys in the NFL by improving individual skills, not teamwork. Yes, better skilled players can make a better team but we’ve seen decades of GT football where much lesser talented players playing as a team have bested way more talented teams playing as individuals on a team. Look no further back than 2016. No way we deserved to win, but we played team ball not “get me ready for the NFL” ball. The team that played like that lost.
Not to get side tracked, but the push to getting players to the pros and not focusing on winning is what led to the downfall of CPH and the basketball program where we are still struggling to get to some relevancy. I do not think it was as severe with Collins as it was with Hewitt, but I understand the point you are trying to make. Having said that, who exactly did Collins and staff help to get to the NFL? That is where I struggle with your assertion.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to get side tracked, but the push to getting players to the pros and not focusing on winning is what led to the downfall of CPH and the basketball program where we are still struggling to get to some relevancy. I do not think it was as severe with Collins as it was with Hewitt, but I understand the point you are trying to make. Having said that, who exactly did Collins and staff help to get to the NFL? That is where I struggle with your assertion.
Hewitt - while he doesn’t deserve to be compared to Collins at all, really!! - is interesting there because it illustrates the levels of success you can have even with a “similar” method. Hewitt had much more success with even a more superstar-based approach.

The competence of the coach is not the same thing as the potential of the approach. GT has to do better about not getting taken for a ride this time.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow

Pyron's dad is posting on The Hive and he said Zach is playing through an injury from the F$U game that was affecting him still - might be causing what you saw.

As for the extra-curricular stuff... that's why I've referred to them not as the U, I refer to them as ThugU ever since the Erickson/camouflage wearing days.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Having said that, who exactly did Collins and staff help to get to the NFL? That is where I struggle with your assertion.
I think the best example is Nate Cottrell. Cottrell wouldn’t have made the NFL if CGC didn’t make him focus on ST 100%. Jalen Camp and Tyler Davis are two other guys that I think benefited from CGC

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
nm
View attachment 13514
keep in mind his family has read all the comments related to the rampant speculation about his injury. really low moment for our fanbase
Let me preface by saying I’m not bashing Jeff on twitter and never would. I’ve expressed my opinion on how I’d feel if a player refused to play in a game when considered healthy enough to play and I stand by those comments.

…but this idea of “they’re amateurs” and “they’re kids” goes out the window the moment they start making six figure amounts of money to play the sport. You can’t have it both ways - can’t be an amateur and a kid and also get paid a bunch of money to play an amateur sport. It’s one or the other. The moment you cross the threshold you are dipping your toe into being a professional athlete. And like it or not your are going to be the subject of public scrutiny - and few are going to feel bad for you.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt - while he doesn’t deserve to be compared to Collins at all, really!! - is interesting there because it illustrates the levels of success you can have even with a “similar” method. Hewitt had much more success with even a more superstar-based approach.

The competence of the coach is not the same thing as the potential of the approach. GT has to do better about not getting taken for a ride this time.
Did he? The 2004 team had no superstars and they made the NCAA Championship game. He then recruited a bunch of McD AA and never got to a Sweet 16. If he had continued to focus on winning team basketball and not play players out of position to help them get to the NBA, he would have been more successful after 2005. Playing Thad Young on the wing instead of the post was especially maddening and ultimately useless since he ended up in the post in the NBA. The same for Iman who did not play PG in the NBA and may have been the worst passing guard I have ever seen.

Anyway, back to football. Yes, Collins is a worse coach. No argument there. I just confused as to who he helped get to the NFL.

JacketFan137

Banned
nm

Let me preface by saying I’m not bashing Jeff on twitter and never would. I’ve expressed my opinion on how I’d feel if a player refused to play in a game when considered healthy enough to play and I stand by those comments.

…but this idea of “they’re amateurs” and “they’re kids” goes out the window the moment they start making six figure amounts of money to play the sport. You can’t have it both ways - can’t be an amateur and a kid and also get paid a bunch of money to play an amateur sport. It’s one or the other. The moment you cross the threshold you are dipping your toe into being a professional athlete. And like it or not your are going to be the subject of public scrutiny - and few are going to feel bad for you.
the problem is we do not know the extent of the injury and how severe, and most of these speculative posts are almost all questioning his character, calling him a quitter etc. it’s a bad look for the fanbase considering we don’t know anything.

that second part is just flat out not true. money doesn’t make these people less than human and not have emotions. whether they are making millions or playing at a d3 school, they are still very young. sims can’t even drink yet. you should still be a decent human being and have some level of sympathy for kids risking long term health issues for not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I think the best example is Nate Cottrell. Cottrell wouldn’t have made the NFL if CGC didn’t make him focus on ST 100%. Jalen Camp and Tyler Davis are two other guys that I think benefited from CGC
Camp possibly, but Tyler Davis did not improve his draftability here even a little bit, he was 100% drafted off his prior body of work and measurables.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
nm

I wouldn’t apply that standard to young actors thrown into the spotlight and hounded by the media, and I wouldn’t apply it to these players either.
Did he? The 2004 team had no superstars and they made the NCAA Championship game. He then recruited a bunch of McD AA and never got to a Sweet 16. If he had continued to focus on winning team basketball and not play players out of position to help them get to the NBA, he would have been more successful after 2005. Playing Thad Young on the wing instead of the post was especially maddening and ultimately useless since he ended up in the post in the NBA. The same for Iman who did not play PG in the NBA and may have been the worst passing guard I have ever seen.

Anyway, back to football. Yes, Collins is a worse coach. No argument there. I just confused as to who he helped get to the NFL.
I guess it depends on if the 2004 team would’ve won it all if the superstar hadn’t been a 1-and-done the year before. 🙃 I think Hewitt’s recruiting and coaching both slid a bit later in his tenure, but didn’t necessarily blame it on a pro mindset. 🤷🏻‍♂️

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell was a practice squad player for a year and is now a free agent. Camp was drafted and cut before the season started. He is now a practice squad player. Davis was already on some draft boards before he transferred to Tech. He has been on and off active roster for three years now. Between the three of them they have 202 career total yards.

Last edited: