TECH VS MIAMI POSTGAME

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
OK... I am going a different direction. I will give the benefit of the doubt here and say he's not healthy to go. If so, WHY IS OUR COACHING STAFF INSINUATING OTHERWISE?

I have seen a lot of speculation about what constitutes an "emergency" since we have been told for 3 weeks, Sims is good to go in an "emergency." This would have been an easy thing to dispel during a press conference by saying something to the effect of: "Sims is hurt. He was going to go in an emergency, but we are not going to put him in a bad situation when we have other quarterbacks available. We expect our back ups to be ready to play and we expect their teammates to execute around them; this type of situation does not constitute an emergency where we would potentially jeopardize the health of a player."

OK, Key is caught off guard in the heat of a post game press conference... fine. Then say it now.

Everything around this situation sounds like individual factions doing damage control.
Our coaches aren't insinuating anything to the effect that he's healthy. KEY HAS SAID NOTHING TO THAT EFFECT!!! This is all built up on rumors and then people trying to find hidden meaning in what Key actually says in these press conferences, jumping to conclusions, and then running with it endlessly to disparage one of our players.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have posted it before that if it is a foot injury, they can take a lot of time to heal. Only the person with an injury can tell how much pain it causes.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Our coaches aren't insinuating anything to the effect that he's healthy. KEY HAS SAID NOTHING TO THAT EFFECT!!! This is all built up on rumors and then people trying to find hidden meaning in what Key actually says in these press conferences, jumping to conclusions, and then running with it endlessly to disparage one of our players.
Well, they haven't exactly said he isn't... and that's more my point. In a golden opportunity to put the issue to bed (which really hasn't expired yet, either), it could have been said that he is not fully recovered, and what constitutes an emergency has not happened, therefore we aren't playing Sims.

Instead, we got this odd exchange of "he is cleared to play.... but he wasn't available... but he is cleared to play... but I will leave it at that."

That is what is feeding the narrative...

JacketFan137

Banned
I have posted it before that if it is a foot injury, they can take a lot of time to heal. Only the person with an injury can tell how much pain it causes.
there’s also a difference between being able to step on the field and being able to do what jeff sims does that is special.

if he can’t run like normal he won’t be as effective and frankly it’s unsafe to have no legs and play behind our o line lol

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, they haven't exactly said he isn't... and that's more my point. In a golden opportunity to put the issue to bed (which really hasn't expired yet, either), it could have been said that he is not fully recovered, and what constitutes an emergency has not happened, therefore we aren't playing Sims.

Instead, we got this odd exchange of "he is cleared to play.... but he wasn't available... but he is cleared to play... but I will leave it at that."

That is what is feeding the narrative...
Baloney. That's not what he said. Key never uttered the words "cleared to play"

Go back and watch the tape. He says "emergency basis" and "not available to go in".

No one on this board can say definitively whether he was cleared to play because Key has not answered that question. In all likelihood, that means that he's only available to play if, and only if, the rest of the QBs are injured. Regardless of which interpretation is correct, it's speculation at this point. Speculation that calls into question the character of Sims. It's BS and needs to stop.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How can you be not cleared to play but be available in emergency situations? That makes no sense. I assume cleared to play here means the medical staff has evaluated him and made a determination based on his health. His health doesn't change if others get injured.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Baloney. That's not what he said. Key never uttered the words "cleared to play"

Go back and watch the tape. He says "emergency basis" and "not available to go in".

No one on this board can say definitively whether he was cleared to play because Key has not answered that question. In all likelihood, that means that he's only available to play if, and only if, the rest of the QBs are injured. Regardless of which interpretation is correct, it's speculation at this point. Speculation that calls into question the character of Sims. It's BS and needs to stop.
Forgive me for not properly typing, with attributed quotations, who said what, but by "exchange" I meant there was a conversation between multiple people that was unnecessarily cryptic and misleading.

My point is - just say he is not healthy. Why dance around it with this cryptic "emergency" stuff? Or, as I said in my initial post, simply state that we have not reached "emergency" status because we have healthy options at QB. And why change the response to "he was unavailable" when asked if he was cleared to play?

Let me be totally clear.... I am not faulting Key for what he said, I am faulting him for what he has failed to clearly say. Which begs the question, why is he not saying it?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, if we took Collins approach of not talking about injuries, we wouldn’t be in this situation. We are having multiple pages of arguments over what an “emergency” is, and the only people who know aren’t going to comment. Even if Sims was “medically cleared” it doesn’t mean he’s 100% or confident in his ability to play on the injury.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is the correct interpretation based on what I was told pre-game Saturday.
I see that, and I can agree with that. Why not state that and stand by it? Why change to "he was unavailable" instead of saying, we have healthy QBs who have to step up?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I see that, and I can agree with that. Why not state that and stand by it? Why change to "he was unavailable" instead of saying, we have healthy QBs who have to step up?

Why did he need to? I followed his press conference without reading into it all the conspiracy that a few members of the internet commentariat have so far. He said Jeff was available for emergency only and at the time he was unavailable to go in. Those two statements are not opposed to each other. If it's not an emergency, which it wasn't, then he's unavailable. His only other reply was that he was standing by what he said. That's normal. If a reporter starts getting pedantic about the words you used, simply say I stand by what I said and move on. To keep calrifying would only cause further confusion. Could he have said it clearer the first time? Sure. That doesn't make what he said wrong.

The big takeaway here is that Sims injury status is not our right to know. Key shared what he thought was reasonable and refused to delve further into it. Not sure why we are making this a mountain worth dying on...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
What does that even mean? Every other QB on the roster? So if Pyron, Gibson, Puma, and whatever walkon QBs we have all get injured then he comes in?
and at that point, why would we put Jeff in? If we are that far down the list on QBs, we've lost the game already. Just put a RB or WR back there and run wildcat.

I agree we don't have all the details and shouldn't be villifying anyone without a better understanding, but there is way too much smoke around this to be nothing.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Why did he need to? I followed his press conference without reading into it all the conspiracy that a few members of the internet commentariat have so far. He said Jeff was available for emergency only and at the time he was unavailable to go in. Those two statements are not opposed to each other. If it's not an emergency, which it wasn't, then he's unavailable. His only other reply was that he was standing by what he said. That's normal. If a reporter starts getting pedantic about the words you used, simply say I stand by what I said and move on. To keep calrifying would only cause further confusion. Could he have said it clearer the first time? Sure. That doesn't make what he said wrong.

The big takeaway here is that Sims injury status is not our right to know. Key shared what he thought was reasonable and refused to delve further into it. Not sure why we are making this a mountain worth dying on...
Just to be involved in the large number of posts using the term "pedantic," I take issue with the bolded. If he is available in an emergency, then the lack of emergency doesn't make him unavailable, it makes it a non-emergency.

At any rate, I don't see any situation rising to the level of "emergency" this season, and next season I don't see any of the parties involved still being here, so... i'll not kick this horse again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How can you be not cleared to play but be available in emergency situations? That makes no sense. I assume cleared to play here means the medical staff has evaluated him and made a determination based on his health. His health doesn't change if others get injured.
He could take snaps and just handoff. Could do the same with the Clemson backup though.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

Is this truly that hard to understand? Sheez

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Forgive me for not properly typing, with attributed quotations, who said what, but by "exchange" I meant there was a conversation between multiple people that was unnecessarily cryptic and misleading.

My point is - just say he is not healthy. Why dance around it with this cryptic "emergency" stuff? Or, as I said in my initial post, simply state that we have not reached "emergency" status because we have healthy options at QB. And why change the response to "he was unavailable" when asked if he was cleared to play?

Let me be totally clear.... I am not faulting Key for what he said, I am faulting him for what he has failed to clearly say. Which begs the question, why is he not saying it?
Just to annoy you?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
He could take snaps and just handoff. Could do the same with the Clemson backup though.

IIUC, we only had 3 QBs dressed for the game. Sims was the #3 option emergency backup. Your assumption about handing off is correct.

From what I have been told, there's a drop-off from Gibson to Phommachanh based on injuries Phommachanh is working through. We are pretty much down to the dust bunnies under the bed at the QB position right now.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Is this truly that hard to understand? Sheez
Yes, it is actually. Try explaining it to me. Why would a player who is not cleared to play by our medical staff be available to play if a couple of other guys get injured? Forgive my ignorance but I always thought not cleared to play meant the injury is substantial enough that we cannot risk letting him play in this game. Maybe it means something completely different to Georgia Tech's medical staff. If it does then please share that info.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, it is actually. Try explaining it to me. Why would a player who is not cleared to play by our medical staff be available to play if a couple of other guys get injured? Forgive my ignorance but I always thought not cleared to play meant the injury is substantial enough that we cannot risk letting him play in this game. Maybe it means something completely different to Georgia Tech's medical staff. If it does then please share that info.

You're asking the wrong people. If you really want these answers, simply call the GT medical staff and demand they answer to your satisfaction what all of these terms really mean.

Let us know what you find out.