TECH VS MIAMI POSTGAME

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
the problem is we do not know the extent of the injury and how severe, and most of these speculative posts are almost all questioning his character, calling him a quitter etc. it’s a bad look for the fanbase considering we don’t know anything.

that second part is just flat out not true. money doesn’t make these people less than human and not have emotions. whether they are making millions or playing at a d3 school, they are still very young. sims can’t even drink yet. you should still be a decent human being and have some level of sympathy for kids risking long term health issues for not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things
I’m not saying you should personally attack someone…even a professional. Yes, we are all humans and deserve to be treated as such.

But the accusations made are that a player was deemed healthy and refused to play…a player who is now making a lot of money specifically because he plays for the team he’s being accused of refusing to play for. That’s going to draw criticism, much of which is warranted IF the accusations are true.

Now, does that mean people need to be nasty? No. But the point I’m tying to make is that what is considered “inappropriate” changes when a player starts making a lot of money for playing the amateur sport.

To restate my opinion on the root of this matter - if a player is healthy enough to play, but refuses to do so when asked by their coaches then they should be dismissed from the team…full stop. Do I know that that happened for sure? No. So I won’t have an opinion one way or another on Jeff unless it becomes public what truly happened.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Mods, this snarky response lacks civility and the poster should be rebuked. Oh, wait, the poster is a Mod…! 😳

Sometimes, a bit of a curt answer serves to point out that people keep rehashing the same arguments, getting the same answers, and then ask the same question again and again repeatedly. If you think a curt answer is uncivil, you might want to be careful wading through these threads...

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell was a practice squad player for a year and is now a free agent. Camp was drafted and cut before the season started. He is now a practice squad player. Davis was already on some draft boards before he transferred to Tech. He has been on and off active roster for three years now. Between the three of them they have 202 career total yards.
Yeah I mean I’m agreeing with you lol. Even if those three were good examples, only having three examples isn’t good.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
First and foremost let’s hope Sims and Pyron heal up. Sims has been injury prone and Pyron will hopefully learn that he will need to start sliding if he wants to get thru college football without serious injuries. Pyron is the QB of the future but hopefully Sims comes back to compete. If Sims leaves not sure where he will go and start. Need to get the head coach named so we can clear up some of this mess, salvage a decent recruiting class (can’t rely on transfer portal), and clarify the roster moving forward.

JacketFan137

Banned
First and foremost let’s hope Sims and Pyron heal up. Sims has been injury prone and Pyron will hopefully learn that he will need to start sliding if he wants to get thru college football without serious injuries. Pyron is the QB of the future but hopefully Sims comes back to compete. If Sims leaves not sure where he will go and start. Need to get the head coach named so we can clear up some of this mess, salvage a decent recruiting class (can’t rely on transfer portal), and clarify the roster moving forward.
it is pretty ironic everyone was crazy excited for pyron playing the way he did against vt but then we see the exact reason why your qb shouldn’t be playing like that.

unless of course your name is josh nesbitt and no form of logic applies to you

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan
it is pretty ironic everyone was crazy excited for pyron playing the way he did against vt but then we see the exact reason why your qb shouldn’t be playing like that.

unless of course your name is josh nesbitt and no form of logic applies to you
Why shouldn't he play like he does? He will always play aggressively, thats just who he is. Yeah, he needs to learn to not take as many unnecessary hits, but if you go back and watch the contact on the play he hurt it, it wasn't anything insane about it. Just a fluke thing. Will he learn that he needs to be a little smarter about protecting himself? Absolutely. I have seen him slide this year more than all the years combined he's played....so he's slowly learning.

JacketFan137

Banned
Why shouldn't he play like he does? He will always play aggressively, thats just who he is. Yeah, he needs to learn to not take as many unnecessary hits, but if you go back and watch the contact on the play he hurt it, it wasn't anything insane about it. Just a fluke thing. Will he learn that he needs to be a little smarter about protecting himself? Absolutely. I have seen him slide this year more than all the years combined he's played....so he's slowly learning.
its a balancing act. rg3 learned the hard way in the nfl. qbs like lamar, russ and kyler learned how to give themselves up and have stayed relatively healthy for “running” qbs.

playing like pyron did vs vt is fun but we clearly need our qbs to start protecting themselves or we wouldn’t be starting zach gibson

PVdad

Georgia Tech Fan
its a balancing act. rg3 learned the hard way in the nfl. qbs like lamar, russ and kyler learned how to give themselves up and have stayed relatively healthy for “running” qbs.

playing like pyron did vs vt is fun but we clearly need our qbs to start protecting themselves or we wouldn’t be starting zach gibson
I’ll let him know you said that. 😏

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Pyron's dad is posting on The Hive and he said Zach is playing through an injury from the F$U game that was affecting him still - might be causing what you saw.

As for the extra-curricular stuff... that's why I've referred to them not as the U, I refer to them as ThugU ever since the Erickson/camouflage wearing days.
thanks for that info. I think Pyron is special for us. I loved his energy and attitude after the game last week. And I can't help but always root for "tough" kids.

Yes, it is definitely ThugU....I remember watching them try to twist Justin Thomas' ankle several times back in the day. Duh U is on the bottom of my pile of teams; I'd even root for UGA to beat them. (OH no, blastphemy I'm sure, but I really, really dislike Miami!!!)

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, it is actually. Try explaining it to me. Why would a player who is not cleared to play by our medical staff be available to play if a couple of other guys get injured? Forgive my ignorance but I always thought not cleared to play meant the injury is substantial enough that we cannot risk letting him play in this game. Maybe it means something completely different to Georgia Tech's medical staff. If it does then please share that info.
There's a difference between injuries where attempting to use the injured anatomy will cause permanent damage, injury where use will set back healing substantially, injury where use will delay healing, and injury where use will hurt a lot and not be very effective.

There's plenty of room in there for a player to be cleared to play but playing not being a good idea. In those cases, you'd only play if all the other ideas are worse.

I'm honestly baffled that this is difficult for you to understand, and must assume you are some sort of mollusk like space alien who has no personal insight into vertebrate injuries. There isn't a secret code being transmitted in the coach's words unless he stands next to a flag with gold fringe.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There's a difference between injuries where attempting to use the injured anatomy will cause permanent damage, injury where use will set back healing substantially, injury where use will delay healing, and injury where use will hurt a lot and not be very effective.

There's plenty of room in there for a player to be cleared to play but playing not being a good idea. In those cases, you'd only play if all the other ideas are worse.

I'm honestly baffled that this is difficult for you to understand, and must assume you are some sort of mollusk like space alien who has no personal insight into vertebrate injuries. There isn't a secret code being transmitted in the coach's words unless he stands next to a flag with gold fringe.
Im baffled that you guys can't understand what cleared to play means and you keep trying to turn it into something else. It's really not that difficult. Cleared to play but not playing due to further risks is not the same as not cleared to play. It changes the entire argument. Did you learn proper english as a kid?