TECH OFFENSE

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Let me see.
Cam, Tebow, Lawrence, Watson, have each won NC with a shotgun spread. Even Bama is running their offense from the gun.
The offense seems to be doing fine.

I think GT will be fine running it. Perhaps even flourish.

We are probably the most scheme obsessed fanbase in the country (washington st may be up there because of Leach, too). Fact is, the best schemes are mainly the ones with the best players. If we had a Cam, Tebow or Watson running the 3O, I doubt we would have heard any complaints. But guys like that don't want to run it, so here we are.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So to just throw some more out. I think Oliver is going to be the starter. Tough guy that brings game, and he can throw as well as any we have. Broke every passing record at his high school. Just saying.

No one has said the cupboard is bare at QB. But our ineffective pass attack last year makes everyone wonder a bit. LJ was hurt, the young guns were very green. I think that explains things a bit regarding our current group.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Maybe if we start winning, EVERYONE WILL SHUT UP AND BE ON THE SAME PAGE.

Our fan base is worse than high school girls. Myself included. I’m the girl that watches and randomly shouts something, duck down, and watch what happens.

COME TOGETHER. RIGHTTTT NOWWW. OVER ME.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah, now hold on a minute. That is suspiciously like one of those "false equivalency" things so popularized the last couple of years. When you see 6-4, 230-pound clodhoppers running the shotgun "option" it tells you all you need to know, when from under center the QB has .8 of a second or less for the first read. That offense is to "instant" as say instant oatmeal would be: it is all in the advertising. (Temple had one of those guys last season, or at least from the two games I watched on YouTube. Hard to watch.) It is really one "option" decision and from there just a typical route tree progression downfield. But I confess, if it is not clear, that I am not a fan of the offense and yep, I know Clemson won two NCs with it. It is the Doctor Fell syndrome to me: I just don't like it.

It's much better than the 30-QB-Keeper offense we've been running the past 2 years. You got to have at least the threat of a pass completion in the year 2019 and we've definitely taken steps in the right direction here.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
So to just throw some more out. I think Oliver is going to be the starter. Tough guy that brings game, and he can throw as well as any we have. Broke every passing record at his high school. Just saying.
Hard runner, can pass well (contrary to popular opinion and what we've seen so far) and above all is a gamer who plays hard and really wants to win. He definitely ticks all the boxes. From a physicality perspective he is also probably the frontrunner among the 3 as well. Not afraid of contact or to take a hit.

I still think James Graham will be the starter, but I also felt like Jay Jones should have been the starter a couple years ago so take that for what it's worth. (I still stand by that - he would've been great in our offense).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Hard runner, can pass well (contrary to popular opinion and what we've seen so far) and above all is a gamer who plays hard and really wants to win. He definitely ticks all the boxes. From a physicality perspective he is also probably the frontrunner among the 3 as well. Not afraid of contact or to take a hit.

I still think James Graham will be the starter, but I also felt like Jay Jones should have been the starter a couple years ago so take that for what it's worth. (I still stand by that - he would've been great in our offense).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah Jay just got throttled by JeT. Nothing he could do about that. Hope hes found success.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Let me see.
Cam, Tebow, Lawrence, Watson, have each won NC with a shotgun spread. Even Bama is running their offense from the gun.
The offense seems to be doing fine.

I think GT will be fine running it. Perhaps even flourish.
Well, said he in the day's first non sequitur, Ohio State has run the thing forever, even with third string QBs, and come up short. Gimme gunslingers and pass magnets and I'll beat you running the Notre Dame box. As I said, it might be personal, and I still don't like the thing.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well, said he in the day's first non sequitur, Ohio State has run the thing forever, even with third string QBs, and come up short. Gimme gunslingers and pass magnets and I'll beat you running the Notre Dame box. As I said, it might be personal, and I still don't like the thing.

Ohio St won a natty in 2014

GTFLETCH

Banned
I agree.... If we are going into Clemson, who do you want out there... we all saw what he did running the ball last year..... After the Clemson game who knows.... But I think TO gets the start in Death Valley

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree.... If we are going into Clemson, who do you want out there... we all saw what he did running the ball last year..... After the Clemson game who knows.... But I think TO gets the start in Death Valley

agreed - Having a guy under center who already has some real-game experience is a good idea for game 1 @ Death Valley!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Everyone is entitled to personal preferences. Me? I liked our old offense in a bunch of ways, but I can't imagine not being excited about seeing more passing, having a prayer on 3rd and more than 4, an actual 2 minute offense, etc.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue who is going to start. I'm not even counting out Yates if he picks things up quickly. We know they can all throw decent enough now. We know Graham is probably the best athlete. Who's got it between the ears? Who really *gets* the position?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The inverse is....if you are a real competitor......you do not want to share playing time......you want to be out there all the time. It is difficult to balance.
Words like "real competitor" and "all the time" seem to lead to an either or place.

We had highly competitive project managers in my engineering consulting company . Those that needed there way all the time were moved to the side and ended up leaving. They then moved from company to company and eventually were happy at a smaller consulting company.

It not an either or situation at gt football unless u are a stud. If he demands to play every down u bet he will. When we again get a deddrick mills like player on campus , coaches will ,like coach did, play him day one and will play him as much as he can. Parker braun played day one and nearly every down because when he was tired he was way better than anyone we have.

For the rest of the players the starters need to give up some of to their teammates so they can improve. It's for the long term good of the team.

I am interested to see how the players react to the ATL and commitment to give quality playing time to guys that show it in practice. I here from twitter coach Collins and gt football interviews they intend to play ( not just extra points) a lot of players like they did at temple.

Last year Clemson played 70 players per game and beat out several other top programs for Hunter Rayburn, ol who flew under radar till sr yr. He is from Pensacola high where I am on football booster club. They were Ffrank w him and told him he may redshirt but would see the field. He was the first sub #55 at center ( 3rd string) in spring game .
Andy wanted to offer but Sewak said no .

We will be way better with fired up 5th year seniors that surround the few stud players we can recruit.

For those that missed the clemson spring the 2 freshmen wr are being compared to best ever at Clemson. These are wr that are ranked as top s in nation These studs came to play on team w T Lawrence and will play day one.

20190406_151550.jpg

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in the spring practice thread and it's what I hope to see next year:

I've hinted at this, but what I'd like to see us play is a Wildcat shotgun. Here's what I mean:

#16, Jesse Ertz, is what I hope to see from our QBs this year. I love that guy! A great runner and his ability that way made everything else in the offense work. I might add that their RBs look like a collection of former BBs; i.e. like Tech will be. Oh, and the D is pretty good too.

We might have to wait a year or two for this, but the material at QB is there and, if we use it right, we can go aways with it. And, of course, it remains to be seen if Coach is as good at his job as Bill Snyder was. Let's hope so.

Btw, sorry for the length of the film. Couldn't find anything else that got the gist of what they were doing.

Update: Ertz looks a lot like Tobias, doesn't he? But what I want is a QB who isn't afraid to run and an OC who will build that into the game plan. I don't care who that is. One other thing: KSU usually had about the same recruiting rankings as Tech over the last 10 years.

Last edited: