TECH OFFENSE

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Downs is a good kid. Cant fault him one way or the other.

I still think he would be in Atlanta if not for his uncle. We might still see him here yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Final signing day is after season is over.
Maybe .....? Could we give them a lesson 10/05/2019?? I think so, and optimistically by dec we could be full.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Football is football. Different schemes do the same things with different tweaks. Shotgun spread RPOs utilize short quick passes to do what our run game did with options and tosses etc. What scheme is run doesn’t really matter imo. I’ve said repeatedly that there are many different ways to skin the cat. How well a coordinater preps for opponents, calls plays in game, and adjusts in game is what makes an offense great, good, mediocre, or bad (talent on hand being a big ingredient in level of success).

Our last play caller was deemed by most to be very good at those things with available talent. We will see how good P does. I don’t see anything ground breaking in what he’s done prior but he certainly appears to be a capable OC.

What makes an offense elite? A combination of good calls and good talent. What makes an offense exciting? Big plays. Regardless of scheme big plays and scores make an O exciting imo whether garnered through run plays or pass plays.

Most other preferences on scheme boils down to personal tastes. Some like a finesse game where players are spread out more and OL play patty cake. I prefer a more downhill run oriented scheme with drive blocks and cuts getting defenders on their asses. Regardless of preference any scheme that succeeds should be appreciated. Winning ain’t easy.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Football is football. Different schemes do the same things with different tweaks. Shotgun spread RPOs utilize short quick passes to do what our run game did with options and tosses etc. What scheme is run doesn’t really matter imo. I’ve said repeatedly that there are many different ways to skin the cat. How well a coordinater preps for opponents, calls plays in game, and adjusts in game is what makes an offense great, good, mediocre, or bad (talent on hand being a big ingredient in level of success).

Our last play caller was deemed by most to be very good at those things with available talent. We will see how good P does. I don’t see anything ground breaking in what he’s done prior but he certainly appears to be a capable OC.

What makes an offense elite? A combination of good calls and good talent. What makes an offense exciting? Big plays. Regardless of scheme big plays and scores make an O exciting imo whether garnered through run plays or pass plays.

Most other preferences on scheme boils down to personal tastes. Some like a finesse game where players are spread out more and OL play patty cake. I prefer a more downhill run oriented scheme with drive blocks and cuts getting defenders on their asses. Regardless of preference any scheme that succeeds should be appreciated. Winning ain’t easy.
Good post. If it’s any consolation, Coach P has set records wherever hes been. Granted, none of those have been at a major P5 school but like you said, he does seem capable.

Also, I imagine we will be seeing more run than pass. I know you’ll like that. I will too actually.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Interesting to read all the speculative speculations here on this board about the offense. LOL

My guess (uhh, speculation) is that at this early stage of spring practice, the offensive coaches are placing a priority on trying to determine:

— Which QBs can throw the most accurately;

— Which backs and receivers can run the best routes and have the best hands to catch passes; and

— Which offensive linemen can pass-block the most consistently.

Then the playbook will open up more toward work on the running game during the later stages of the spring practice.

This is just my speculative guess.

LOL

What’s great is we have a staff that can draw from many systems and create their own system to build what best suits the players we have. I don’t think we will see the same exact offense year in and out. This is a good thing.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Interesting to read all the speculative speculations here on this board about the offense. LOL

My guess (uhh, speculation) is that at this early stage of spring practice, the offensive coaches are placing a priority on trying to determine:

— Which QBs can throw the most accurately;

— Which backs and receivers can run the best routes and have the best hands to catch passes; and

— Which offensive linemen can pass-block the most consistently.

Then the playbook will open up more toward work on the running game during the later stages of the spring practice.

This is just my speculative guess.

LOL
I haven't seen a practice so I know about what everybody else seems to know. But my guess is identifying skills and installing offense and defensive schemes. I wouldn't be surprised if several guys went from one side of the ball to the other before August. I would be very surprised if we saw anything other than the standard RPO because coaches will try to hammer it in regardless of skills. They just do,and it is what they know. I remember two ill-conceived notions with Johnson, trying to please: that diamond formation for a quarterback who was a level above his skill set, and signaling plays in from the sideline. Things got better when those were dumped. Coaches like familiarity and most aren't good at much else.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Coach P offense at Coastal

Thanks for the links.

Did anyone think the line splits are wide?
The Baylor offense is predicated on wide splits that have line calls like Coachs did.

To me this looks like run heavy baylor offense. I think we can do this! Wonder it's going to be at spring game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I feel like the opener is a no-lose scenario for us. NOBODY expects us to win. And I would bet big money that very few people outside the GT community expect us to even be competitive at all. Especially given the new coaching staff and “having players for a spread option offense” (I say that in quotes because it’s a popular fallacy that the kids we have can only play that style of football). So if we get crushed then that’s what everyone expects. If we compete at all then we’ve gone beyond most of the expectations people outside our community have for us. And if we win... heaven forbid the game is actually close or we keep it close for three quarters then we blow away expectations of the outside world and people really start talking about GT as a potential #biGTime program that kids will come to and we start giving the top teams a run for their money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have nothing to lose. Let's go after them with both barrels blazing. At the very least, we should dirty up Lawrence's uniform a little bit.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Back more towards the topic. I think Graham wins the spot. Why?
Electric runner with a cannon arm, his talent maybe to hard to resist.

Being from south Georgia, that is what I thought too. He was electrifying in high school but the knock on him has been that LJ and Tobias have a firmer grasp of the system. Maybe so. Given LJ's injury history I would not be surprised to see James starting by the middle of the season, if not before. We will see. Quarterback is the least of my worries as pertains to this year's team. I am far more concerned about the lines. Please recruit linemen, for the love of God.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Being from south Georgia, that is what I thought too. He was electrifying in high school but the knock on him has been that LJ and Tobias have a firmer grasp of the system. Maybe so. Given LJ's injury history I would not be surprised to see James starting by the middle of the season, if not before. We will see. Quarterback is the least of my worries as pertains to this year's team. I am far more concerned about the lines. Please recruit linemen, for the love of God.

We’ll see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have nothing to lose. Let's go after them with both barrels blazing. At the very least, we should dirty up Lawrence's uniform a little bit.
Well, that would be better than 'Bama did. I think they decked him once, and every time they got in his face he found the gap they left. So we might want to be a bit careful because he has what the coaches think are four first round drafts as receivers. I actually think how we play Clemson will tell us a lot about how good the coaching staff is. Not the score. They are going to ring us up, period. But how do we play them, and do we compete until the bell?

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually think how we play Clemson will tell us a lot about how good the coaching staff is. Not the score. They are going to ring us up, period. But how do we play them, and do we compete until the bell?

The last few years in offense (especially in Clemson) I've felt that we might as well have started each drive off at 3rd and 10.

Im hoping to see a little bit of fight on offense and a better defensive effort.

Is 2014 the last year the we beat Clemson?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the links.

Did anyone think the line splits are wide?
The Baylor offense is predicated on wide splits that have line calls like Coachs did.

To me this looks like run heavy baylor offense. I think we can do this! Wonder it's going to be at spring game.

Baylor offense is the closest thing to the Air Raid + Flex Option we'll get in terms of how devastating it can be in the air or on the ground. That offense is beautiful on the ground or in the air. It truly takes advantage of personnel.

We can only hope GT's offense looks like Baylor's offense.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Baylor offense is the closest thing to the Air Raid + Flex Option we'll get in terms of how devastating it can be in the air or on the ground. That offense is beautiful on the ground or in the air. It truly takes advantage of personnel.

You mean Baylor’s old offense under Briles?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Is that offense NFL style?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Looks at Seattle. It would seem our past passing offense of scrambling around and the taking off with a an run or deep ball was also nfl style
If we run primarily RPO, does that mean we are running an NFL style offense? How do you define NFL style, one team runs it, two, three? What about percentages? At least 50% run it? What?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing the acronym "RPO" pop up in posts about what our new offense will look like. I wonder if there are some who do not fully understand what this term means. "Run/Pass Option" is a specific set of plays that are designed to run block while the QB can make the decision to give it to a RB or pull it out and fling it to a WR. "Read Option" and "RPO" are not the same thing. RPO takes a high degree of mastery, and I would bet we will see a lot more Read Option than RPO (if any). It is an exciting play, though.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If we run primarily RPO, does that mean we are running an NFL style offense? How do you define NFL style, one team runs it, two, three? What about percentages? At least 50% run it? What?

More than none? I wouldn't overthink it. NFL style just means our players will be able to do things that translate to the next level; O-linemen learning to pass block, WR's learning to run routes, QB's learning to read a defense from the pocket. Whatever an NFL style offense is, passing it 5-10 times a game ain't it.