TECH OFFENSE

slugboy

Staff member
It's hard to answer this question on just stats, but last year GT was 14th in offensive efficiency, and Temple was 73rd. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff
I'd think our offense will score more and get more yards, but be "less efficient". Our players should be better than Temple's, but I think we'll end up somewhere in the middle in FEI. It won't be 13th. It'll feel worse than it is, because we've had a pretty reliable system that players are schooled in for years, as we learn to throw the ball and make different reads and blocks.

In defense (sorry, not this thread, I'll try not to derail things), Temple was 37th in defensive efficiency and GT was 111th. https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef. I think our players, even in the front 7 where people are worried, are as good as Temple's and better in the backfield. It's year 1, so I think we'll be close in defense--gut feel is around top 50.

Special teams I expect to get better. Our kicking and punting is good, and the rest of the squad should play better.

slugboy

Staff member
Funny thing about passing stats. Bubble screens and screen passes are counted as passing yards, while Option pitches and rocket tosses are not. Even though they are essentially very similar plays.
That's one reason why I'm more interested in total offense or offensive efficiency rather than rushing or passing offense. Points are points, yards are (pretty much) yards, and first downs are first downs.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
So to just throw some more out. I think Oliver is going to be the starter. Tough guy that brings game, and he can throw as well as any we have. Broke every passing record at his high school. Just saying.
I agree with this. We know he can run it and he has impressed coach with his pass coverage reads, and his accuracy, as I posted in another thread. And I think it is very important in this first year to have somebody who has played at this level. This could really be a fun year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Ok, for sure i’m all about talking about the new offense

It's going to be hard for people to let go of the old one, whether they loved it or hated it. As I said in one thread or another, we are obsessed with scheme.

In the interest of getting back on track, anyone want to make wild predictions with totally limited information?

Who will win the QB job and how many TDs will he throw?

Who will be our leading rusher and how many yards?

Same for receivers?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's going to be hard for people to let go of the old one, whether they loved it or hated it. As I said in one thread or another, we are obsessed with scheme.

In the interest of getting back on track, anyone want to make wild predictions with totally limited information?

Same for receivers?

Graham
Mason
Carter

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Same for receivers?
Johnson 14
Benson 872
T. Davis 43/572

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 09 ,10, 11 I supported baylor and went to games ( quit sending $ when the sex stuff came out- baylor sure paid Briles a lot for silence)

I am not very optimistic we will have a good first few years as it took baylor 2 years to get going. This new offense and the baylor offense requires a high degree of communication between qb and wr as they read the defense . The defenders are good at camouflaging the coverage to make the reads hard.

In first 2 years Baylor had a semi bend but dont break defense and then they went to lots of safeties and lb that could run.
This looks like what we are going to try. I hope we do because having plenty of fast guys to practices our passing against will improve our offensive passing attack.

Once baylor got going on offense and the defense quickly either stopped them or got off field , they wore out their opponents db. This offense and defense will attract stud players.

I expect good and bad all in one year

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Good point. But the bigger the hype the bigger the expectations. The bigger the expectations the greater the fall of you fail. New staff better win to back up the bluster. Hopefully the play on the field will make the hype look humble instead. They (the coaching staff) haven’t done anything on the field yet.

Maybe now is the right time to hype things to get fans excited and recruits interested. Maybe the staff will try to dial expectations back before Clemson. But if you are gonna talk big you either deliver or become a laughing stock.

Hype does a lot of things.

Without it, we don't raise hundreds of thousands on 404 day and we wouldn't have a borderline top 20 recruiting class as it stands right now.

Of course winning is the ultimate goal. We need more talent and more fan support and money to do so. Thus, the hype.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Same for receivers?

It's hard to see Graham riding the pine 2 years in a row so...

Graham / 22
Griffin / 8
Sanders / 7

Adonicas is kind of a dark horse for me but according to the practice thread, he's looking great in practice.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This era of college football is all about getting the players and I can’t believe I’m typing that. But, after CPJ retired I took a step back and re-evaluated my beliefs and realized I was mentally living in the past. Just look at it and you’ll see the successful teams get the players and the good/great coaches get out of their way. Collins will succeed because he’s already proven that kids want to play for him and he has shown the dedication to his system just like CPJ was dedicated to his system. We aren’t close to top top tier level yet, but we’ve already started moving up in the 2nd tier just based off commitments (which mean nothing until they sign). But, Collins did just sign our best RB since Dwyer in a limited recruiting window.

Animal02

Banned
This era of college football is all about getting the players and I can’t believe I’m typing that. But, after CPJ retired I took a step back and re-evaluated my beliefs and realized I was mentally living in the past. Just look at it and you’ll see the successful teams get the players and the good/great coaches get out of their way. Collins will succeed because he’s already proven that kids want to play for him and he has shown the dedication to his system just like CPJ was dedicated to his system. We aren’t close to top top tier level yet, but we’ve already started moving up in the 2nd tier just based off commitments (which mean nothing until they sign). But, Collins did just sign our best RB since Dwyer in a limited recruiting window.
Successful teams have been essentially buying their way to NC contention. A race that Tech and the vast majority of schools have opted NOT to do.

As a head coach Collin as proven nothing in reality at this point.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Successful teams have been essentially buying their way to NC contention. A race that Tech and the vast majority of schools have opted NOT to do.

I don’t disagree about the first part. And I understand the line of thinking about proving nothing as I’ve always been of that mindset. But to be fair, our first game isn’t until late August so while we have no data on wins and losses (not Collins fault) we have plenty of other data to which to judge. Did we have a mass exodus when he was hired? No. Is he building relationships at GT? Resounding yes. Do the current players like him? All we’ve seen point to yes. Did he hold together the 2019 signing class? Yes, and he added to it. Are the fans excited? Yes. All that to say while we can’t judge on wins and losses (cause we can’t), all other aspects we can judge are positive. I’m a CPJ homer, but I haven’t checked out message boards like this in years. And a few connected UGA friends of mine have all muttered under their breath that GT hit a home run with Collins because they know you gotta get the players first and foremost. When Griffin signed my texts blew up from UGA friends.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer

Actually you mean Tech and the vast majority of schools can’t afford to do it, right?