Tech fans are awful

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If anyone wants to see me... just look for the only guy standing in section 107 home side on every 3rd down. Sometimes I can guilt the others into stand and sometimes I cannot...
You on left(107) and flea in middle( 106) and me on right(105) & we need to get rowdy.
By way flea said the ol and coaches at bc game had to scramble to figure out the 3/3/1 defense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Though I'd like to see sell outs the lack of them doesn't bug me as much as the fans who do show up but just sit quietly in their seats all game. (Well they do at least cheer for TDs etc, a little)

But come on! Crowd noise can actually affect the opposition's ability to communicate. Which can lead to timeouts burned, failure to convert, etc. I favor screaming like a nut every down we are on D, especially in big games / during important parts of games, but I don't expect all fans to do so. 3rd down though? Everyone in the stadium should be up and making noise for every 3rd down when we are on D. That's really only asking for a little effort / contribution.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Last week or so we were bombarded on this forum about wearing gold. I sat in the N stands on Saturday with a lot of Mercer fans and I took notice of who was wearing what. The men and women from Mercer were mostly all wearing orange tees. Those tees were pretty uniform in color. There was a lot of gold in the stands but also a lot of navy and other colors. The Tech fan women are the worst offenders not wearing gold, or even navy for that matter. There was a noticeable difference in the numbers of Mercer couples both wearing team colors and the much fewer Tech couples who were both wearing team colors. So like most things lets blame the women (for the lack of gold color in the stands).

I blasted my daughter (GT alumni) with these facts and she responded that the GT team color clothing is made for men and it does not fit women (even tho she wore a poorly fitting gold Tee). The Mercer women seemed to be doing just fine in those colorful orange Tees. Any thoughts?
I would have to agree with your daughter about gold. I have two daughters and a wife that have said the same thing. Heck we can't even agree on the proper shade of gold if you look at the uniform threads on this forum. Good luck getting a woman to wear an already tough color and risk being ostracized because of the shade. I'm just glad they are willing to go to a game and cheer on our Jackets! Also we have to understand that we are fighting a tradition of not really sticking to any tradition when it comes to colors our fans wear. I know many alumni remember wearing Gold and White when they were students. As an alumni of the 90's I remember people wearing mainly Navy, Yellow or White to games when I was in school. When I went to games in the 80's a lot of people wore black too. The fact of the matter is that we just don't have a very strong tradition or an appealing color palate on which to build a strong tradition. Not to beat a dead horse but our deal with Russell has not helped on this front either.

Last edited:

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I was sick and sporting a sore throat and still managed to go to the game with both my kids. After screaming for stops, I am sporting no voice at work today. It was all worth it though. Our tickets are right next to the visiting band section, we needed to be loud to drown those folks out. I about fell over when I heard them play an uga song.... Not to mention their fights song sounded like "Hooray for Mr. Touchdown" from Revenge of the Nerds.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Slightly off topic, but it would be interesting to know what, if any, GA State's football has had on GT's attendance. When I was in school, GA State students use to go to a lot of our games with their GT friends, especially since GA State dorms (before GT acquired them) were right across the street from BDS. GT gave them the Fall Saturdays most kids in the South grew wanting in their college experience....tailgating with friends then going to football games. (True story, a girl I dated my sophomore year that went to State use to say "If GT didn't have football games for me to attend, we probably wouldn't be dating" She was kidding. I think.) A lot of GA State alums would also go to GT games as they adopted GT as their team.

GA State's average attendance last season was 15K+ per game at the Dome. Granted, you have to figure not all were there to watch GA State. But say 3-5K of those fans would have gone to GT games. That's revenue of about $15,000-$25000 per game, or $105K-$175K per season. That's not a lot of money, but that's certainly enough to get 2 extra staff members for recruiting, or upgrades in our weight room.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It's always the dude with the GT Columbia PFG shirt that sits on Clash Of Clans during media timeouts that makes me cringe the most. Hope there's not any in my section Saturday.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, I am not sure what to make of this thread. There is some weird criticism being thrown around.

I agree that the attendance is disappointing - we could have more butts in the stands for sure. And the student section looked particularly bad at the beginning and end of the game. Lots of empty bleachers.

For the record, I love wine and cheese and sometimes bring it to my tailgate. If that's a cardinal sin of football tailgating I don't care. Wine makes me happy.

I also love yelling when the opposing team is huddling on 3rd down (@GTpdm can attest to this). There are plenty of folks around us in lower west that do the same.

I've got a metric crapload of Tech gear in a variety of colors, but I always wear either white or gold to games. I haven't had much trouble finding Tech stuff made for women, but that might get a little harder in the future with Tailgater's Alley no longer around. I think Tech's female fans look great! (Maybe I am biased because I am one.) I've seen everything from jerseys to homemade gear (PJ Davis' family makes some cool shirts to support him) to regular clothing that is Tech colored and it all looks pretty good to me.

GO JACKETS!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
What happened to Tailgater’s Alley!!?? Most females I’ve seen at games wear white. There’s nothing wrong with that. I don’t think women in general like to wear gold colored clothing.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmmm....I dunno if I'm preaching to the choir. Too many Tech fans sitting on hands during 3rd downs for me to think all here make noise. If the numbers were flipped and 80% did make noise......id be more inclined to agree.
Even worse, people in my section get upset with people standing up and yell at us to sit down.

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know if it was the heat, the opponent or something else, but the crowd on Saturday felt the most dead since the 10-7 G-W game in 2008.

FYI, this sidewalk fan will be there +1, cheering his butt off no matter what...as has been the case for many, many years. Now that I live in Atlanta (after years in Tallahassee), all I need is a tailgating crew...