Tech fans are awful

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
When I've brought fans to games at Tech I'm always a little embarrassed by the lack of die hard support.
The gold back seats in the east are the worst, I get it it's hot but those seats are the best in the stadium and more than 3/4 of the people that have them are inside the stadium away from the game.
I remember the Miami game in 14, that was a solid atmosphere but in the upper west seats it was the most wine and cheese crowd I've ever witnessed. I felt out of place cheering out loud!! My wife said the same thing. I'll never buy a ticket up there again. There's only a small fraction that really cares about GT competing at a high level, the rest could care less. GT people get to caught up in not being "one of them" insert rabid fanbase. Kind of strange.
My parents are from up north but live in the south now. Some of my other relatives wanted to see what college football was all about in the south. I tried to get them to come to a Tech vs UNC game but my parents took them to an Auburn game instead because they wanted to show them what my parents thought was a better time. Worst critique I've ever received personally. None of my siblings even went to auburn.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been going to Tech games for 55 years. I started going to games in 1961 when you had to practically murder someone to get a ticket to get in. If I had too name reason/reasons for an apathetic anemic fan base there are many, and each contribute to anemic crowds. Let me name the ones that come to mind; Atlanta (the parking, traffic, competition from a hundred other things to do), weather (early fall day games where at BDS 93degrees = 103/113 in the East stsands), competition (Mercer = meh!), apathetic student body (they drive and create the enthusiasm), TV (you can sit in the comfort of your own home get things you like to eat without waiting in a long sweaty line). Now, is it worth going and experiencing in person, YES! Going to a Tech game is the fountain youth for me, and as I walk in I become a 10 year old boy again. I'll go as long as I can. Oh the Irish newspaper thought our fans were fanatical! And I claimed a whole castle for Georgia Tech....not bad for a sidewalk fan. ;)

14291919_10205176756417053_2126251193629328798_n.jpg

I've been going to Tech games for 55 years. I started going to games in 1961 when you had to practically murder someone to get a ticket to get in. If I had too name reason/reasons for an apathetic anemic fan base there are many, and each contribute to anemic crowds. Let me name the ones that come to mind; Atlanta (the parking, traffic, competition from a hundred other things to do), weather (early fall day games where at BDS 93degrees = 103/113 in the East stsands), competition (Mercer = meh!), apathetic student body (they drive and create the enthusiasm), TV (you can sit in the comfort of your own home get things you like to eat without waiting in a long sweaty line). Now, is it worth going and experiencing in person, YES! Going to a Tech game is the fountain youth for me, and as I walk in I become a 10 year old boy again. I'll go as long as I can. Oh the Irish newspaper thought our fans were fanatical! And I claimed a whole castle for Georgia Tech....not bad for a sidewalk fan. ;)

14291919_10205176756417053_2126251193629328798_n.jpg
And a damn good sidewalk fan you are too !!!

How can you call someone's thoughts about what they think is BS. That is a low rent comment. You must be low rent yourself? Politely and respectfully disagree, but to call it BS is actually BS. The thought that Paul is not somewhat responsible for this is a tunnel vision and might mean you are part of the problem also.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense is awful. Fans are awful. Anything else? Not our record. And in general, our fan showing in Ireland was outstanding, imo.

That's straight up. I'd guess 20k Tech fans in Dublin, almost everyone wearing colors. I was rockin' a sweet gold scarf I bought outside the stadium. And LOUD! Best fans I've seen in a while.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I do believethat Johnson's attitude and demeanor is alot of the problem. He really does not promote the program and certainly does not endear himself to reporters. I personally think he bears some blame for the last two AD's leaving.In short, he only cares about himself, not the Institute.

I tend to agree that our current and previous head coaches, while greatly respected by their peers (which I think is the highest praise of all), have been a bit lacking in the "glad handing' and "baby kissing" department. but the issue being discussed here predates both CCG AND CPJ imo. I find it somewhat ironic that these 2 guys have had their critics within the fan base as they both seem to embody the "Tech mentality" - i.e., no BS or schmoozing, technically proficient at their craft, etc. Seems like the prototypical "Tech man" to me.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
6th row 105 40yd line.

In our area we all stand and yell.
Behind us row 20 not so much.
We have player and coach relatives near us .
I heard that a coach's father who was sitting in special wheel chair area on EAST side got so overheated that they took him to the players auditorium with the player prospects to watch the game. Nice plan.

WEST STAND FANS THAT CAME AND CHEERED ARE AWSOME.

In a tune up game it is hard to keep cheering with the db back 6 yds.

Cant wait for clemson . It will be wild as I think we will pull out all the stops

On regular sundays we drive back in time to see blue angels return to naval air station pensacola where they practice during week.

Attachments

• 20160911_184938.jpg
    20160911_184938.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 40

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
The idea that a guy who's taken us to the Orange Bowl 2x in 8 yrs is the problem is idiotic at best. CPJ doesn't have the time or inclination to kiss anyone's ***. I commend him for it. IDK what the fan's problem is,but I'm at every game and my section is loud. There's not enough hours in the day to worry about other sections. Students can get with it or stay out. I'm sure there's Pokemon to be caught around the stadium...

I'll be in section 204 row row 4 seats 31&32 with my wife at the Clemson game.
I am in Section 225, row 26, seats 1 and 2. There are usually empty seats around me, but probably not for the Clemson game. If you are looking for a place to tailgate, I will send that info in an email the week of the game. I assume you still have the same email address. I would enjoy meeting you.

The Rev.

Georgia Tech Fan
As I hear complaints about GT fans not attending games, I would suggest that it be taken into account that so many GT grads get jobs in places far and wide and not so near the ATL but they still love the Jackets. I've watched GT games at diehard GT alum parties while living on the west coast. I've met GT fans where I now live here in Big Ten territory who, like me, make the effort to get to GT games within reasonable distance (ND, VT, etc.). But folks, let's not look at attendance at BDS and be too hard on ourselves. We're not going to be UGA or UT in terms of attendance and GT fans have too much of an inferiority complex over that kind of thing.
(But I will add, Supersize, that the 'watching-the-game-in-a-Dublin-bar' story is pretty sad. I'll see you at the GT - Miami game in three weeks.)

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to agree that our current and previous head coaches, while greatly respected by their peers (which I think is the highest praise of all), have been a bit lacking in the "glad handing' and "baby kissing" department. but the issue being discussed here predates both CCG AND CPJ imo. I find it somewhat ironic that these 2 guys have had their critics within the fan base as they both seem to embody the "Tech mentality" - i.e., no BS or schmoozing, technically proficient at their craft, etc. Seems like the prototypical "Tech man" to me.
Totally agree 4shot. Been going to games since 1969. Our fan base are fickled. Always have been. Unless it has been big games most of the time stadium is partly full no matter who the coach is and no matter how good we are supposed to be. Go back and look at "gimmee" games and see what attendance has been. Rare when we had even close to a full stadium

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
- some teams can afford to schedule games like this and others can not.
- teams build a bigger, more rabid fan base by beating the big boys they traditionally play as often as not.
- many try to make rocket science out of this. It is not. And the new potential customers you try to reach resent that you try to preach to them that it is.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I am in Section 225, row 26, seats 1 and 2. There are usually empty seats around me, but probably not for the Clemson game. If you are looking for a place to tailgate, I will send that info in an email the week of the game. I assume you still have the same email address. I would enjoy meeting you.
I'm looking for a place for the Miami game that next Saturday. I may try to go meet @flea77 after the game, but a few cold ones before the walk through sounds like a plan. Plus I'd love to meet you, wizer and his famous youngin.