Tech fans are awful

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Last week the upper north stands were full of Mercer fans and they stood out in their bright orange tees. This week the high school bands dominated the upper north stands but they left their seats early in the game and left a lot of vacancy. One whole section east of 217 was full of Mercer fans the week before but in the Vandy game it looked like maybe 15 people total in that whole section and they were GT fans moving to a better seat it appeared. The gold stood out around the stadium but the vacant seats stood out more from my view. Maybe we should paint the seats gold.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Last week the upper north stands were full of Mercer fans and they stood out in their bright orange tees. This week the high school bands dominated the upper north stands but they left their seats early in the game and left a lot of vacancy. One whole section east of 217 was full of Mercer fans the week before but in the Vandy game it looked like maybe 15 people total in that whole section and they were GT fans moving to a better seat it appeared. The gold stood out around the stadium but the vacant seats stood out more from my view. Maybe we should paint the seats gold.
How about we get a bunch of these in Old Gold
tumblr_inline_nhv14bg2ZF1sjnmot.gif

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It was worse for mercer.
Vandy was a poor draw and has very few fans. One more excuse is the heat.

Since we had pretty good crowds in 15 after 14, isnt it kind of expected for there to be a drop off right after 16.
Things will pick up(3-0 several long playsand defense swarming at end).

Imo
We have a hill and a gtaa that accepts their place as a former dominant football power. That's what is embarrassing and leads to empty seats.
Gtaa and marketing are two parallel lines that never meet.

Actually I have seen evidence to the contrary this year. Some nice ticket offers to Gwinnett Co school admin for students with on field pre game perks as well. I'm not saying marketing can't get better but the "market" is small.

View attachment 1890 This guy @Supersizethatorder-mutt ....
He barked nearly the entire game.
He sticks our like a ruby in a goats butt!

I swear it was Jarrod from Subway!

ATTACH]1890[/ATTACH]

Im in section 101...I'd love to heckle his dumb *** if he comes back. Just need to devise some kind of signal.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He was aware of my feelings for him before he left.
During out kickoff he would say "goo dogs sic em"
The last straw was when he bumped into my kiddo.
I threatened him with bodily harm (to keep it G rated here) if he got close to my kid again.
He soon after left.

Man you've got some good restaint, it would have been Game On if that idiot touched my kid, especially after listening to barking the whole game...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Actually I have seen evidence to the contrary this year. Some nice ticket offers to Gwinnett Co school admin for students with on field pre game perks as well. I'm not saying marketing can't get better but the "market" is small.

That's positive, but re the market ... we had 41,900 in attendance Saturday vs a seating capacity of 55,000. So we only need to fill 13,000 more seats. Work the #'s ... Students (what % go to games ... establish a target and create programs ... Parents weekend, Greekfest, etc.)

Second, hit the Alumni. How many are in each County of Georgia? How do we organize an outreach to get 2,000 non-season ticket holders to attend? Dinner and date. Organize special offers, dinners, programs at local hotels and get them to the game via Marta.

Third, hit the corporate market. Take the Top 50 firms in Atlanta and offer tickets as part of the company's reward and recognition program. That should be good for 2K seats.

Fourth, hit the high school market. Promote Tech at all the top schools a) in Atlanta (primary focus) and b) state. The Nr 2 school district in the state is St. Mary's (all those Navy dads) ... how many times has Tech reached them?

Fourth ... relo's to Atlanta. I know lots of business people that move here and sure, their home team is Cal or Michigan and they will never attend those games. But they will attend a Tech game. Easy ... download the mail list of the newly arrived, offer them a GREAT package to buy a season ticket for 4 (wife, kids). Track the renewal rates.

Special programs for alumni, kids.

Turner Field has a similar seating capacity ... ask them for how to market in an urban environment.

Strengthen the schedule. If we are not playing an ACC school, we should be playing Notre Dame or an SEC school.

And finally ... win. Nothing keeps folks coming than winning.

If Tech was really serious about it, I would volunteer my time to start a committee and work with their marketing department. We all want the same thing ... to fill the stadium.

BTW ... did anyone notice that Bobinski's major achievement was a strategic plan. If they only NOW have a strategic plan, I guarantee they have no plan to market effectively. Again ... all this is FIXABLE without a lot of money. It just takes organization and follow up.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Strengthen the schedule. If we are not playing an ACC school, we should be playing Notre Dame or an SEC school.

This seems like the easy answer, but it's not. Two things make this unrealistic. For one, another P5 school has to agree to play us home and home. Most aren't looking to add but 1 P5 OOC game a year, same as we do. (uga game excluded) Secondly, a lightly attended cupcake game each year brings in more money than a sold out P5 opponent every other year. (Assuming a home & home rotation)

Fourth, hit the high school market. Promote Tech at all the top schools a) in Atlanta (primary focus) and b) state. The Nr 2 school district in the state is St. Mary's (all those Navy dads) ... how many times has Tech reached them?

Have to be careful in the HS arena. The NCAA would likely consider this to be a recruiting violation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I respectively disagree. A slightly stronger schedule generates more coverage (tv, etc) and in turn, can drive better outcomes (season tix sales, merchandising, recruiting, etc.) You have to look at the whole thing as a system to develop a long-term winning program.

Re HS, I'd have to check. Sending free tix to the principal's office for the A kids seems innocent enough. Maybe not. Good point.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I wish all of Div. 1 college football would just increase the number of Conf. Games and completely stop playing fcs schools.

I'd like to see the ACC add an extra conference game, but require all schools that don't already have a permanent OOC rival to schedule at least 1 P5 team in their OOC games to keep things relatively even. Even better than that though would be add 2 teams and split into 4 pods where you play each team in your pod then rotate through 2 games in the other pods each year. That'd give you a chance through a 4 year career to play each conference opponent at least once home & away. That'd be a 9 game schedule as well, but with ND as one of the two additions we wouldn't have to worry about the odd ND game popping on the schedule every few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I respectively disagree. A slightly stronger schedule generates more coverage (tv, etc) and in turn, can drive better outcomes (season tix sales, merchandising, recruiting, etc.) You have to look at the whole thing as a system to develop a long-term winning program.

Re HS, I'd have to check. Sending free tix to the principal's office for the A kids seems innocent enough. Maybe not. Good point.

If you add an extra P5 Home and Home, you are essentially saying GT will only have 6 home games every year. You don't make enough extra money on a single game to cover the lost revenue from a second game. While TV coverage is great, we get the same amount from the ACC regardless, so that doesn't impact the budget. Season ticket sales is a decent argument to have, but history has shown that even winning seasons and better opponents haven't moved the needle significantly for GT in those regards. So ultimately, I think you get to this:

8 conference games (4 home)

Home & Home with uga (.5 home)

Home & Home with P5 (.5 home)

Group of 5 FBS (1 home)

FCS creampuff (1 home)

This is where we generally are now, with the occasional year with ND thrown in. Giving season ticket holders free tickets to the FCS game is great marketing if used by the fans. I know I always make sure my extra tickets for that game are used.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The issues we face with the fan support are numerous, and there is not a single fix (save a three or four year run of ten win seasons and beating UGA consistently). Ultimately, I'm of the opinion that if you can't be bothered to go to games when you're a student, you will become an alum who can't be bothered to attend, either. So, the longterm solution - to me, at least - would be to find creative ways to engage the student body to attend games. They are the ones responsible for creating a culture and environment for the rest of the fans. When they're sitting, the rest of the fans are sitting. Similarly, when they get jacked up, it spreads to the other fans, except the 75 year olds in the west stands.

The issues we face with the fan support are numerous, and there is not a single fix (save a three or four year run of ten win seasons and beating UGA consistently). Ultimately, I'm of the opinion that if you can't be bothered to go to games when you're a student, you will become an alum who can't be bothered to attend, either. So, the longterm solution - to me, at least - would be to find creative ways to engage the student body to attend games. They are the ones responsible for creating a culture and environment for the rest of the fans. When they're sitting, the rest of the fans are sitting. Similarly, when they get jacked up, it spreads to the other fans, except the 75 year olds in the west stands.
Careful now.....I'm 72 and in the upper east, and I get jacked up whether the students do or not. Not all us old farts sit on our butts the entire game, and I assume there are a few in the west stands who don't too. But I DO get your point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think I sit about two or three rows behind you.
I will wear my helme this game do come say hi if I dont look to crazy.
That's positive, but re the market ... we had 41,900 in attendance Saturday vs a seating capacity of 55,000. So we only need to fill 13,000 more seats. Work the #'s ... Students (what % go to games ... establish a target and create programs ... Parents weekend, Greekfest, etc.)

Second, hit the Alumni. How many are in each County of Georgia? How do we organize an outreach to get 2,000 non-season ticket holders to attend? Dinner and date. Organize special offers, dinners, programs at local hotels and get them to the game via Marta.

Third, hit the corporate market. Take the Top 50 firms in Atlanta and offer tickets as part of the company's reward and recognition program. That should be good for 2K seats.

Fourth ... relo's to Atlanta. I know lots of business people that move here and sure, their home team is Cal or Michigan and they will never attend those games. But they will attend a Tech game. Easy ... download the mail list of the newly arrived, offer them a GREAT package to buy a season ticket for 4 (wife, kids). Track the renewal rates.

Special programs for alumni, kids.

Turner Field has a similar seating capacity ... ask them for how to market in an urban environment.

And finally ... win. Nothing keeps folks coming than winning.

If Tech was really serious about it, I would volunteer my time to start a committee and work with their marketing department. We all want the same thing ... to fill the stadium.

BTW ... did anyone notice that Bobinski's major achievement was a strategic plan. If they only NOW have a strategic plan, I guarantee they have no plan to market effectively. Again ... all this is FIXABLE without a lot of money. It just takes organization and follow up.

Dont let them beat you down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I'd like to hear you try and sell that first point to CPJ.

Animal02

Banned
And the empty seats in the lower east between the 40s