Tech Defense

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I would say CB. If they can shut down the receivers in press then it gives the DL more time to get to the QB and the LBs have less space to cover.
I would say CB. If they can shut down the receivers in press then it gives the DL more time to get to the QB and the LBs have less space to cover.

If you are right and I believe you probably are, then that is why we're seeing CGC recruit CBs when we already have a lot of DBs on team, at least that is what makes sense to me.
Many on our boards have wondered why we appear to be going after so many CBs presently.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I think DL is most important in any D this one is no exception.

When 32 NFL GM's were asked to name the two most important positions on the team 31 of them said "1. QB, 2. pass rusher". The other one said "1. QB, 2. shutdown corner".

My opinion only, but I think it's much harder to find a shutdown corner than it is to generate a pass rush. You can disguise blitzes or run stunts and games up front to get pressure if you don't have Khalil Mack, but if you're 1-on-1 with a WR there's nowhere to hide: you either shut him down or get roasted.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
When 32 NFL GM's were asked to name the two most important positions on the team 31 of them said "1. QB, 2. pass rusher". The other one said "1. QB, 2. shutdown corner".

My opinion only, but I think it's much harder to find a shutdown corner than it is to generate a pass rush. You can disguise blitzes or run stunts and games up front to get pressure if you don't have Khalil Mack, but if you're 1-on-1 with a WR there's nowhere to hide: you either shut him down or get roasted.
Given enough time, a qb can pick any defense apart. No cb can effectively cover a receiver for very long. An effective rush can save an average cb. The NFL (as you stated, 31/32 GMs) agree, so that's where they spend their $. Pass rushers > db.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/nfl-highest-paid-positions-2014-9
The best passing defense is one that never gives the quarterback time to throw the ball.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
They said pass rusher. Not dl rusher.

Big difference. Many of the best pass rushers are olb. Some of course are in odd fronts that blitz the olb a ton so you can say a 3-4 olb is a glorified dl but its not really either.

Now. We have bad lb imo so eh. But my point is focusing just on dl is not it. Its far more and pass rusher has a ton more behind it.

However given my choice. Yes. I want lawrence taylor over deion sanders.

Why? FEAR.

Of course the rule changes whimped the sport out but a guy like LT makes the ol and qb play totally different and no db can affect that much

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
They said pass rusher. Not dl rusher.

Big difference. Many of the best pass rushers are olb. Some of course are in odd fronts that blitz the olb a ton so you can say a 3-4 olb is a glorified dl but its not really either.

Now. We have bad lb imo so eh. But my point is focusing just on dl is not it. Its far more and pass rusher has a ton more behind it.

However given my choice. Yes. I want lawrence taylor over deion sanders.

Why? FEAR.

Of course the rule changes whimped the sport out but a guy like LT makes the ol and qb play totally different and no db can affect that much
You're right. It's not the DL that's valued by the NFL, it's the rushing DE. That's why he's the second highest valued position by average salary.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Would you pick Lawrence Taylor or Deion Sanders? I’d pick LT but because I think he would have a greater effect overall with his contribution to stuffing the run game also.

Choosing otherwise is reasonable too and you may pick a better example than Sanders. Having both sure would be nice.

Edit: 33 stole my thunder

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I vote DL also, you need respectable DT’s or your pass rushing DE or LB will just get double-teamed into oblivion. given enough time any QB will find an open man no matter how good your DB’s are

slugboy

Staff member
Would you pick Lawrence Taylor or Deion Sanders? I’d pick LT but because I think he would have a greater effect overall with his contribution to stuffing the run game also.

Choosing otherwise is reasonable too and you may pick a better example than Sanders. Having both sure would be nice.

Edit: 33 stole my thunder

You can’t screw that choice up. Taylor makes the backfield look better, and Deion made the DL look better.
It’s like “how would you like $10 million—wire transfer paid by us, or direct deposit?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

1. I think there’s a little bit different dynamic in the NFL than college. Most teams have decent athletes upfront that can pressure the quarterback to a degree. The draft creates some semblance of parity. Most teams have at least one decent pass rusher, most have more.

2. DL does way more than pass rush. Most importantly they are the front line in shutting down the run or allowing your defense to get run all over.

3. As far as shut down corners go, the DL has a lot to say about that. In other words, the DL can make the secondary look like world beaters or like toast. I’d much rather have a defensive line that can shut down the run and put fear in the heart of the quarterback without the need of blitzing linebackers or db’s than any other defensive position group and it’s not even close.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The only two stats the ultimately matter in determining how successful a defense is are (in this order):
1. PPP (aka PPD) - points per possession (aka points per drive): This tells the story much better than a simple "Total defense" number because it accounts for the different paces that different teams play at. We will probably have a significantly higher number of possessions to defend than we did in the CPJ years, so our total defense could look worse while our points per possession could be better. I like this better than sacks/TFL's/turnovers/etc because there are lots of different ways to be successful on defense (maybe a lot of sacks or turnovers or maybe a lot of 3 and outs). So, what I really want to know is where we stack up on this with the rest of the country. What is the PPP (or PPD) ranking?

2. YPP - yards per play: This also says a lot about how successful a defense is. The PPD stat could be affected by the starting field position (which is a product of special teams and offense more than the defense) and by turnovers or lackthereof (a lot of times turnovers have more to do with luck than with defensive play, which can change from year to year, ypp takes this out of the picture). What is the YPP ranking?

These are ultimately the only stats that matter for determining the level of success for any defense.

For now, since we can't really know anything about our D yet, I'd be interested in those rankings for MSU, UF, and Temple immediately before, during, and after CGC's time as DC/HC at those programs.
+1

This ^^^

Doesn't matter if you have 6 possessions or 26 possessions, what counts in the end is points given vs points scored.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You're right. It's not the DL that's valued by the NFL, it's the rushing DE. That's why he's the second highest valued position by average salary.

rushing DL or OLB...von miller. Clay matthews before he got old...kahlil Mack, etc etc all rush OLB that play off the line or on.

True rush DE even harder to find now it seems. There are just a few dominant ones not many though. Most guys flex alot now.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
A top 40 D would be a big time accomplishment for CGC next year.

That UF D is swarming, thumping, and balling in those highlights. Tight coverage and hot pressure on the QB. If Tech can get the kind of D CGC had at UF....Tech will win a lot of games down the road.

You wouldn't happen to have a Hargreaves or Tabor laying around on the Flats would you? Florida has had multiple years of outstanding defensive backs. Maybe we can get a DB tradition started here as well. We will need to be much better on defense this year than we have been because offense is going to be a work in progress for a while at least. I do not see any reason why we cannot have a top 40 defense this year to go with outstanding special teams. That combination will win a lot of ball games right there. Coach Gailey used that formula to beat a number of ranked teams including Auburn (twice), Miami, and a few others. Too bad, he never could beat UGA.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Ibeeballin, But I really don't know anything about UF did not watch them play at anytime . I only have two questions, I have we have been told we will run a fast pace offense which is fine till you have a few 3 and outs and the defense has to go back on the field. Question 1 what kind of offense did UF run those years? Question 2 do we really have the depth on defense for us to run a fast pace offense if we have a few 3 and outs?

I have a friend who is a UF grad and huge fan. He thinks we got a winner in Coach Collins. What I noticed in watching Florida games with him is that the DBs, in particular, play fast and challenge receivers. They were all about pressure and dictating to the offense what they (the offense) is going to be able to do. Defensive ends were outstanding. Big, fast, and generally arrive in a bad mood. It helps that the Gators are usually in the top ten or so in recruiting but they have had their share of busts lately, particularly on the offensive line. Truth to tell, the Florida defense has generally been better than the offense for some time now.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Looks like he had an improved D at Ms St year to year. Looks like he inherited a pretty talented D at UF and they played at a high level for him.

Yep. It really does not matter who the coach is, the Gator defense always had good players but Gator fans will say that Coach Collins got them to play even better. Maybe because they had to because the offense was struggling a bit at times, while he was there. Did not seem like he was there all that long but he made an impression. My understanding is that Mississippi State fans were not happy about Florida poaching him but then who would want to live in Starkville?