Tech Defense

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
What are your thoughts on 4-3 under vs. over as far as roster goes? Any differences you like to see from the linemen in each front? I'm getting old but I think I remember the weak side edge position in an under front is usually a pure pass-rusher and sometimes plays without their hand down. Who do you think fits best right now for us?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I see little difference in a 4-3 Under and a 3-4. I’m sure they are some.

Depends on who 3-4 you run. Al Groh’s 34 big difference. Nate Woody’s 34 very similar because it was a 1gap scheme that slants and angles.

What are your thoughts on 4-3 under vs. over as far as roster goes? Any differences you like to see from the linemen in each front? I'm getting old but I think I remember the weak side edge position in an under front is usually a pure pass-rusher and sometimes plays without their hand down. Who do you think fits best right now for us?

Not sure honestly bc it’s to early to label the DTs. I don’t see a Darryl Richard or Gotsis type 3tech(aligned outside shoulder of guard) but who knows. I think we have the WLB who play sideline to sideline and the SLB not sure the MLB. If Curry reading keys has improved and run fits then he’ll be viable. Secondary yes

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Depends on who 3-4 you run. Al Groh’s 34 big difference. Nate Woody’s 34 very similar because it was a 1gap scheme that slants and angles.

Not sure honestly bc it’s to early to label the DTs. I don’t see a Darryl Richard or Gotsis type 3tech(aligned outside shoulder of guard) but who knows. I think we have the WLB who play sideline to sideline and the SLB not sure the MLB. If Curry reading keys has improved and run fits then he’ll be viable. Secondary yes

Camp has a good shot as a freshmen.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I was watching the 2008 game with Clemson and Andre Ware gave you, I think it was you, props for coming back from a broken leg in what Andre said was "3 places" A lot of people would have hung up the cleats facing the rehab and all from that. Great game at Memorial Stadium that was Dabo's debut. A defensive struggle as I recall.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I was watching the 2008 game with Clemson and Andre Ware gave you, I think it was you, props for coming back from a broken leg in what Andre said was "3 places" A lot of people would have hung up the cleats facing the rehab and all from that. Great game at Memorial Stadium that was Dabo's debut. A defensive struggle as I recall.

Yeah, i shattered my leg in the 06 ACCCG trying dig thru the pile for fumble and pushed backwards while someone was holding my leg. Didn’t feel like myself again until BC 2007. I begged for a redshirt, but was lied to saying i would get a lot of snaps on defense by Chan

Milwaukee

Banned

Great game by the D that day, I believe Reese had a pick 6. Nesbitt hit Bebe on a sluggo or stop n go for the game winner iirc. That was back when Clemson Clemson'd.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, i shattered my leg in the 06 ACCCG trying dig thru the pile for fumble and pushed backwards while someone was holding my leg. Didn’t feel like myself again until BC 2007. I begged for a redshirt, but was lied to saying i would get a lot of snaps on defense by Chan

I am sorry that you had to go through that experience, the injury and being lied to. Anyway, you and your teammates "balled out" as the current expression goes with Memorial Stadium in an absolute frenzy and the offense being stymied for much of the game by a typically tough and talented Clemson defensive line.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Shocked that a big time program college football coach would lie to one of his players. Almost sounds like they were processing you.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Great game by the D that day, I believe Reese had a pick 6. Nesbitt hit Bebe on a sluggo or stop n go for the game winner iirc. That was back when Clemson Clemson'd.

And was Dabo's first game after Tommy Bowden had been relieved of duties. Didn't realize he was going to be the coach he became at that time. He broke out every trick play he could that day....

slugboy

Staff member

Not a post I feel right “liking”, but I’m glad you came back, and really glad that there’s no long term damage (at least I hope so)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting article on how bringing in a new offense has benefitted the defense. As some have stated before, the flex option DID negatively impact our defense in that it limited what the defense could run because DCs didn't want to focus flex option since the only time they see it is in practice during Spring and Fall camps. BUT, it also hurt from a repetition standpoint because our defense couldn't add to their calls and work on them to gain experience through repetition, and thus limited how much they were able to cover during those camps. Not to give too much away since it's a pay site, but Nate Woody was able to only install FOUR calls coming out of his first spring. (That's coming from David Curry) Contrast that to our current staff that pretty much installed most of the defense during their first spring and got to get lots of players lots of reps. Looking back, I think CNW was a bit limited, and probably why his defense the first year was statistically not that good (even though we did get more negative plays than previous defenses).

https://theathletic.com/966131/2019...effect-of-georgia-techs-offensive-transition/

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Interesting article on how bringing in a new offense has benefitted the defense. As some have stated before, the flex option DID negatively impact our defense in that it limited what the defense could run because DCs didn't want to focus flex option since the only time they see it is in practice during Spring and Fall camps. BUT, it also hurt from a repetition standpoint because our defense couldn't add to their calls and work on them to gain experience through repetition, and thus limited how much they were able to cover during those camps. Not to give too much away since it's a pay site, but Nate Woody was able to only install FOUR calls coming out of his first spring. (That's coming from David Curry) Contrast that to our current staff that pretty much installed most of the defense during their first spring and got to get lots of players lots of reps. Looking back, I think CNW was a bit limited, and probably why his defense the first year was statistically not that good (even though we did get more negative plays than previous defenses).

https://theathletic.com/966131/2019...effect-of-georgia-techs-offensive-transition/
Didn’t army have a pretty good defense last year? I think I remember Georgia Southern having stellar defenses too back when PJ was the coach. If the option offense caused our defense to suck it would cause all option-paired defenses to suck.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t army have a pretty good defense last year? I think I remember Georgia Southern having stellar defenses too back when PJ was the coach. If the option offense caused our defense to suck it would cause all option-paired defenses to suck.

Not sure but I also believe both those teams faced many more option based teams as opponents as well. It’s interesting how choosy and selective belief is. Coaches, former players, current players, analyst, be damned.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

The "didn't CPJ have good defenses at GA Southern" argument should never be brought up. They were the "Bama" of D1AA and got the best kids that didn't go to the SEC or ACC...and even some kids that did go there.

Let's use some common sense: If you can only practice FOUR calls all spring and part of fall camps, and you're not practicing most of your playbooks and kids aren't get the repetition, do you think the players would be proficient in it?

Both Carpenter and Curry are saying the limited reps from a limited playbook hurt them. Am I going to believe players on the team or a guys on a messageboard?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The "didn't CPJ have good defenses at GA Southern" argument should never be brought up. They were the "Bama" of D1AA and got the best kids that didn't go to the SEC or ACC...and even some kids that did go there.

Let's use some common sense: If you can only practice FOUR calls all spring and part of fall camps, and you're not practicing most of your playbooks and kids aren't get the repetition, do you think the players would be proficient in it?

Both Carpenter and Curry are saying the limited reps from a limited playbook hurt them. Am I going to believe players on the team or a guys on a messageboard?
BS. So you’re saying if you’ve got good players then you can have a good defense even if you have an offense that is robbing practice reps from the defense? Army doesn’t have Bama’s players.