Tech Defense

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Ibeeballin i love u. But i thought i would take out this gem of us arguing about this same topic years ago. No idea where we start the debate. But multiple back and forths. That was 2013. And. Yes. 6 years later here we are. Lol. One common though

https://stingtalk.com/board/threads/official-gt-vs-mormons-thread.74670/page-25

I’ve eased up on it but still don’t think it’s the end all be all.

50% has been bad coaching
25% was meddling by the HC
12.5% scheme
12.5% recruiting the right players

Nostradamus level post here:
If you have blown assignments in any D no matter what system your offense run you will get burn. Yeah the DC have changed but the players havent. Too many guys on this squad just happy to have a jersey instead of any true ballers and playmakers.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
“Too many guys on this squad just happy to have a jersey instead of any true ballers and playmakers.”

@Ibeeballin, I’m trying to square this quote with your percentages and it just ain’t happening.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
“Too many guys on this squad just happy to have a jersey instead of any true ballers and playmakers.”

@Ibeeballin, I’m trying to square this quote with your percentages and it just ain’t happening.

Your boy said the same 5yrs later

You gotta remember the time. I believe this was the year of the mass exodus so a lot people were playing who shouldn’t have. Also, weren’t just praising Army DC? I know you don’t consider Army more talented than us. Coaching can mask a lot of talent deficiencies

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Your boy said the same 5yrs later

You gotta remember the time. I believe this was the year of the mass exodus so a lot people were playing who shouldn’t have. Also, weren’t just praising Army DC? I know you don’t consider Army more talented than us. Coaching can mask a lot of talent deficiencies
My point is that it’s hard to blame playing against our offense in the spring as the primary reason why our defense is bad when army can do it and be good. I know they have a good DC, maybe our DC wasn’t good enough. Maybe it was because it was his first year. How many of our DL‘s or LB’s would start for any other ACC team? Maybe it has less to do with our O and more to do with other things.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait til the season starts when we can start discussing our actual team and how they play and how they scheme instead of stuff like this. Secretly, though, I like stuff like this even though I recognize it to be fruitless and entirely subjective drivel.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
My point is that it’s hard to blame playing against our offense in the spring as the primary reason why our defense is bad when army can do it and be good. I know they have a good DC, maybe our DC wasn’t good enough. Maybe it was because it was his first year. How many of our DL‘s or LB’s would start for any other ACC team? Maybe it has less to do with our O and more to do with other things.

You do realize Army was 41st in FEI defense (quite a difference from top 10)? They played a relatively easy schedule. We'll see how their DC does with the talent he'll have at UNC.

I'll admit, I think we would've been a pretty consistent top 25 team with a top 40 FEI defense. Except for maybe the first year under Wommack, we seemed to attempt cover too much of the field and not take enough risk on the backside. And I think a lot of that was carry over from what we had been doing under Tenuta. And a group of DL that were all drafted by the NFL.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ve eased up on it but still don’t think it’s the end all be all.

50% has been bad coaching
25% was meddling by the HC
12.5% scheme
12.5% recruiting the right players

Nostradamus level post here:

Nah not nostradamus nostraobvious

Lol btw i am just giving you ish since thats what this is for and I remembered our back and forth on this. Lord knows how many times i have gone 180

I have maintained for a long time, in fact day 1 since he was hired his system would affect our D since its so odd to practice against.

There is a reason why EVERY DC we have ever played says when preparing for us throw out everything you were taught including tendencies since it was so unique. In my view us repping vs our O all spring and first part of fall practice undoubtedly affected us.

How much. I dont know. I agree with alot of what u say too regarding hc meddling etc scheme etc.

But for sure, for me, our system was not kind to our D imo

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Not after consistent 11 years of results. Any one year maybe. But we have had multiple nfl dl on this team playing together. Same with dbs. Look at the 2014 roster on d. 3 dbs made the nfl. 2 dl iirc or 1 in nfl 1 in Canada i can remember . Yet how bad were we?

Its never one single thing. Yes. Our O was for sure part of the issue. Scheme was too for sure. But our hc instructing the boundaries the D had to coach within affected the heck out of scheme.

Also the lack of attention to detail on D was poor. As were 3 assistants.

So its alot of things including at times many players. You cant just blame the O. Other than to state it affected us and players said so. How much we can debate.

Comparing year to year is hard too. Because its never the same 11. I am hopeful for a progressively better D. I agree right now the left over front 7 recruits are in fact concerning. Apparently we did not recruit well up front like most thought we did under roof. We didn’t it seems. Cb too may be an issue. The only position on d that is solid seems to be S.

I hope we land a good cb transfer and gets waiver. And i hope we do an active up front scheme to take more chances given our issues in talent

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
You do realize Army was 41st in FEI defense (quite a difference from top 10)? They played a relatively easy schedule. We'll see how their DC does with the talent he'll have at UNC.

I'll admit, I think we would've been a pretty consistent top 25 team with a top 40 FEI defense. Except for maybe the first year under Wommack, we seemed to attempt cover too much of the field and not take enough risk on the backside. And I think a lot of that was carry over from what we had been doing under Tenuta. And a group of DL that were all drafted by the NFL.

We haven’t been 41st in FEI defense here for more than 10 years. (And that factors in strength of schedule and possessions)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
But for sure, for me, our system was not kind to our D imo
Yeah that whole limiting possessions really sucked for our D.

I’m not naïve to think it had no effect. But I think it’s effect is completely overstated around here. Not to mention what I just stated above as a mitigating factor.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not after consistent 11 years of results. Any one year maybe. But we have had multiple nfl dl on this team playing together. Same with dbs. Look at the 2014 roster on d. 3 dbs made the nfl. 2 dl iirc or 1 in nfl 1 in Canada i can remember . Yet how bad were we?

Its never one single thing. Yes. Our O was for sure part of the issue. Scheme was too for sure. But our hc instructing the boundaries the D had to coach within affected the heck out of scheme.

Also the lack of attention to detail on D was poor. As were 3 assistants.

So its alot of things including at times many players. You cant just blame the O. Other than to state it affected us and players said so. How much we can debate.

Comparing year to year is hard too. Because its never the same 11. I am hopeful for a progressively better D. I agree right now the left over front 7 recruits are in fact concerning. Apparently we did not recruit well up front like most thought we did under roof. We didn’t it seems. Cb too may be an issue. The only position on d that is solid seems to be S.

I hope we land a good cb transfer and gets waiver. And i hope we do an active up front scheme to take more chances given our issues in talent
But wait, the Swillings are linebacker and corner?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Man oh man. It’s like a weird cult. Did the man baptize their children, cause I’m trying to understand. WTH is going on?
Your use of army is valid if they play the gt style defense.
We played bend and they played aggressive. Army's defense was in OU backfield so much that at end the OU fans gave them a standing O.

In practice they probably mimic both so their offense was ready. When d seldom plays aggressive in game (gt) isn't it hard to mimic it in practice.

Why we couldnt play a mix of defenses will remain a mystery. The concept of get them off the field so we can run them till they are sovtired and confused never was given a chance. Imo, could have been great.

We get it.
U are defending the bend and break so u can scream i told u so on first blown coverage.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One good Def year at Army is an outlier, the previous four they finished- 104, 68, 108, 117, GT finished 69, 94, 62, 70 those years. Army’s 5 year Def FEI avg is 87.6, GT is 81.2.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
One good Def year at Army is an outlier, the previous four they finished- 104, 68, 108, 117, GT finished 69, 94, 62, 70 those years. Army’s 5 year Def FEI avg is 87.6, GT is 81.2.

I think it’s safe to say that we (GT) were essentially terrible on DEF all of the past 5 years, what does that say about Army?