TaxSlayer Bowl Media

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I got a good chuckle out of the Kentucky coachspeak praising our D and Roof. "Roof does a good job getting them ready" "They know where to go" "good gap responsibility" "linebackers attack downhill". The thought of the heads exploding on this board hearing that.....pretty humerous.
I am going to be an optimist. A skeptical optimist maybe, but... Give 'em credit. Held Georgia to a couple of FGs late when one TD would have lost the game, and shut a surprisingly good -- to me anyway -- VT team down to 20 points. Now the naysayers are gonna jump all over themselves saying things about blind hogs and acorns and every dog and his day and such. I choose to believe.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I got a good chuckle out of the Kentucky coachspeak praising our D and Roof. "Roof does a good job getting them ready" "They know where to go" "good gap responsibility" "linebackers attack downhill". The thought of the heads exploding on this board hearing that.....pretty humerous.
Those coaches know he done the best he could with what he has.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Those coaches know he done the best he could with what he has.

OK, I appreciate that you probably intended this as a hit and run, but I really want to understand your position. I know that you don't have to answer my questions, but it would help me understand your point of view better if you did.

1) Do you consider all differences in defensive performance on every team as simply a matter of talent, that all Pwr5 DC's are basically equal in getting the most out of their kids?
2) If yes, then what explains the value given to certain DC's like Foster and Brown?
3) If no, then how can you tell who is the better or worse DC? What do you look for?

Thanks

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, I appreciate that you probably intended this as a hit and run, but I really want to understand your position. I know that you don't have to answer my questions, but it would help me understand your point of view better if you did.

1) Do you consider all differences in defensive performance on every team as simply a matter of talent, that all Pwr5 DC's are basically equal in getting the most out of their kids?
2) If yes, then what explains the value given to certain DC's like Foster and Brown?
3) If no, then how can you tell who is the better or worse DC? What do you look for?

Thanks
1. No, there are good coaches and bad coaches. At every level of football there are different factors that determine who is good and who is bad. The UK offensive coordinator said some good things about Coach Roof. Sometimes it's just coach speak. Sometimes it's an honest opinion. I believe he honestly feels like Roof did a good job considering the limitations in personnel.

3. Coaches know who are the good ones and who are lacking. Fans do not. Fans are subjective. Other coaches are objective. You don't continue to get the good Jobs if you can't coach.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1. No, there are good coaches and bad coaches. At every level of football there are different factors that determine who is good and who is bad. The UK offensive coordinator said some good things about Coach Roof. Sometimes it's just coach speak. Sometimes it's an honest opinion. I believe he honestly feels like Roof did a good job considering the limitations in personnel.

3. Coaches know who are the good ones and who are lacking. Fans do not. Fans are subjective. Other coaches are objective. You don't continue to get the good Jobs if you can't coach.
Who's had the good jobs?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Do you think Russel bags hold less gear?

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122116aaa.html

Antonio Simmons is not the only Georgia Tech player heading home, yet he's one of a few who'll be home for three holidays over the next 10 days -- Christmas, the TaxSlayer Bowl and New Year's Day.

Yes, you could say the bowl game counts as a holiday for Simmons (as well as teammates Marcus Allen, Victor Alexander, Step Durham and Lamont Simmons) because it will be in his hometown of Jacksonville.

That's a big deal for the junior defensive end, who leads the Yellow Jackets with 12 quarterback hurries and ranks second on the squad with five tackles for loss this season in a reserve role. He's not sure how many of his former University Christian School teammates and friends are going to be at the Dec. 31 game at EverBank Field other than it's going to be many.

It'll be like a second Christmas in a way.

"I know a lot. I know my friends, old teammates and head coach [David Peland] . . . my family tells me they're coming to the game," Simmons said with a big smile. "I'm really excited to play in front of my family and friends that haven't seen me play yet."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: One thing we'd like to see from every ACC bowl team
Georgia Tech: More SEC snark from CPJ. Coach Paul Johnson closed out the 2014 season with wins over Georgia and Mississippi State, and threw shade from the podium after the Orange Bowl win, declaring that “for at least a week or two we don't have to hear about the SEC.” Now he can close 2016 too with back-to-back wins over the SEC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
GT team activities this week will include
  • Top Golf
  • Visit to Mayport Naval Station
  • Visit to Wolfson Children's Hospital

On Friday, December 30
  • 11:30am - GT press conference with CPJ and team captains
  • 3:30pm - GT pep rally at Jacksonville Landing
  • 4:30-7:00pm - Official GT alumni and fan meet-up at River City Brewing Company
  • 7:00pm - Light Boat Parade
  • 9:00pm - Fireworks

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
GT team activities this week will include
  • Top Golf
  • Visit to Mayport Naval Station
  • Visit to Wolfson Children's Hospital

On Friday, December 30
  • 11:30am - GT press conference with CPJ and team captains
  • 3:30pm - GT pep rally at Jacksonville Landing
  • 4:30-7:00pm - Official GT alumni and fan meet-up at River City Brewing Company
  • 7:00pm - Light Boat Parade
  • 9:00pm - Fireworks

I don't think there are any carriers based at Mayport anymore. But it still might be cool if there are any destroyers and cruisers in.

The captains are JT and Butker and who else? Is it Gamble or PJ Davis?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cats know discipline is key vs. Georgia Tech
"A lot of discipline and attention to detail, because this offense is real ordinary," said Courtney Love. "They run simple things, but you've got to be ready for everything. They play really physical and it's gonna be a tough game for us, physically, and we just got to be ready for that."
"It's been a challenge for everybody on the team, just doing their job and perfecting their assignments because Georgia Tech, they don't beat you with no outstanding plays or great plays," Ware said. "They just beat you by out-physicaling and just being more disciplined. Whoever is the most disciplined team and the most physical team, that's who's gonna win on Dec. 31."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: How Lamar Owens developed Tech’s Jacksonville pipeline
Those who have gotten to know Owens the recruiter, though, praise his work. Durham’s father, Step Durham III, saw a young man (Owens is 33) who could relate to his son, knew his craft and was not given to making promises he couldn’t keep. Other coaches who recruited his son, Durham said, promised spots in the starting lineup and an opportunity at the NFL, among other things.

“But one thing with Coach Lamar, all he did was just present the school,” Durham said.