Taquan Marshall

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
5' 11" vs 5' 10" according to Google. Which I'm sure is 100% accurate.

Same height as Doug Flutie and 3” taller than Spud Webb (just throwing this one in for fun). Tall enough. Bottom line, he needs to find a passing lane to pass downfield. I’m not sure if he wasn’t finding the lanes last year or there weren’t any but it appeared to me that he was launching the ball over the linemen in hopes the receiver could find it. I’m probably wrong but that’s what it looked like to me many times in the last few games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
Same height as Doug Flutie and 3” taller than Spud Webb (just throwing this one in for fun). Tall enough. Bottom line, he needs to find a passing lane to pass downfield. I’m not sure if he wasn’t finding the lanes last year or there weren’t any but it appeared to me that he was launching the ball over the linemen in hopes the receiver could find it. I’m probably wrong but that’s what it looked like to me many times in the last few games.

I'm not arguing that TM can't improve on his passing game, just that the height difference between him and JT is minimal. I haven't watched enough film to compare the two from a technical perspective.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm not arguing that TM can't improve on his passing game, just that the height difference between him and JT is minimal. I haven't watched enough film to compare the two from a technical perspective.

Yeah, sorry. Not arguing with you. If JT was tall enough, so is TM. The inch isn’t what made a difference.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lol neither of them are even 5'10. However, JT5, and especially Joe Hamilton (who is barely 5'9 even in cleats) and plenty of other guys have proved you don't have to be over 6 feet to be a great passer.
Pat Sullivan was under six feet and won a Heisman Trophy. He may have been short but when he threw to a fine group of receivers like Terry Beasley he was money in the bank for Auburn. Like Joe Ham once said: "I may not be six two but I play like I am." Taquon just needs to play his game make the reads and complete throws to receivers who are open. Let Kirvonte, Jerry, and the redshirt whose name I have forgotten do the heavy lifting and have fun.

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
For the love of Buzz, could we please see some bootlegs this year. I have never understood why we don’t utilize the bootleg more. It at least looks like we are running the option and holds the linebackers for a second or two longer. I think TM is perfect for the BL and at least he has the run option in front of him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
One can blame size, the OL, receivers, the offense, lack of passing lanes or the weather in Pocatello. But the cold light of fact: Marshall cannot throw the ball very well. A more harsh judgment based on some of his out of ZIP code misses last season would be that he is bad at it. Lots of shorter QBs have been successful throwing the ball downfield, but if your hands, your arm, your depth perception, hand-eye coordination and that almost mystical on-the-fly geometric calculation of speed and converging lines do not work, well, you will fail. When a 4.5 sprinter is in high gear running a fly pattern 25 yards downfield it all comes into play, and within 5-6 seconds. Marshall is not good at it. He is good at running the ball. That will have to do, though I will keep my fingers crossed.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Well if he’s such a great passer and is tall enough why is receivers wide open and he don’t see them by the way he would be a great ab .

Because he was usually running for his freaking life within 2 seconds of the snap last year.

Show me any QB that’s good when DLs and LBs are constantly in the backfield blowing up plays.

Y’all need to chill. They guy has made plenty of good throws when he’s had time. Hopefully he will have more of that time this year.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Well if he’s such a great passer and is tall enough why is receivers wide open and he don’t see them by the way he would be a great ab .

He said “effective” passer, not “great” passer. Even so, I think he was talking about JT, not TM, and pointing out that they are about the same height. Since they are about the same height and JT was an effective passer, it’s probably not TM’s stature that is the problem.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Physically being able to see players is one part of "qb vision", but it's really not the biggest part. In my experience, MOST of it is reps. It takes time to train yourself to keep your eyes downfield when stuff is happening right around you. It's deeply counterintuitive.

TimHarrio35

Georgia Tech Fan
Taquon never throws directly out of the pocket. They normally do a play action long developing 7 step drop. He should be much better this year throwing. Plus I really like all of our pass catching weapons coming back. Jalen Camp is a Beast