Taquan Marshall

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering all the sudden departures of offensive personnel last year with transfers and injuries at QB, OL, and especially B-Back, plus TaQuon Marshall not being named the starter until well into camp, with the continuity and experience of a year as the starting QB in this system, I'm expecting him to be an impact player in the ACC.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I have never been this optimistic for the quality of the offense. Lord please let me be right and keep significant injuries away from us.
Even with great quality option offenses (like 2014), it can take it some time to work through the kinks and different things defenses may throw at them (like 2014). What's the saying, "The option starts to roll when the leaves start to fall."?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The offense looked impressive against TN in game one last year and this years offense should be better. Taquon will be "leaving" players in his wake long before the leaves turn and by fall many of our opponents will already have fallen.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The offense looked impressive against TN in game one last year and this years offense should be better. Taquon will be "leaving" players in his wake long before the leaves turn and by fall many of our opponents will already have fallen.
Yeah, but it seemed last year, especially early and in that TN game that we were relying on a subset of plays that took advantage of individual talent rather than the system working as a whole. When defenses started taking those things away, we weren't good enough at the overall system - especially our fundamental play through which all else flows (the triple), to have answers and make them pay. And, we also didn't have quite good enough of a passing game to make up for it. We had both by the end of 2014, which made us unstoppable. I'm hoping we get deadly efficient in the system, in the triple that defenses have to sell out to it to have a prayer, essentially picking their poison and either getting it marched down their throat or getting unsound in what they're doing, leaving the other stuff open. I'd like to see us able to score in 1 play or in 15 plays, whichever the defense decides. Last year it seemed like it was either big-plays or bust, single-digit play drives or punts. Get that option rolling, and we can hang with the contenders, and can beat anybody.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He said the O was clicking already!

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
He said the O was clicking already!
We'll see when we play a defense that makes us work for it, a defense that does something we weren't expecting and has guys that don't stay blocked. Will we be able to grind it out 3 and 5 yards at a time, being physical and nearly perfect in execution?

Also will we have enough of a full grasp of everything to have stuff up our sleeve to make up for a TFL, sack, or penalty?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
We'll see when we play a defense that makes us work for it, a defense that does something we weren't expecting and has guys that don't stay blocked. Will we be able to grind it out 3 and 5 yards at a time, being physical and nearly perfect in execution?

Also will we have enough of a full grasp of everything to have stuff up our sleeve to make up for a TFL, sack, or penalty?

This is a key question for me too. When we were wicked good (2014) it was because General Washington executed this offense how CPJ would if he were playing NCAA 2014. Coach was able to call plays across the spectrum and exploit what the defense prepared least to protect against. He would key in on weakness, then pound away at it until teams crumbled.

I am hopeful with the depth at OL and experienced cast at QB/AB/BB that we will return to that level of mastery on offense. If so, look out, because combining that level of proficiency with an aggressive defense will be a difficult thing to deal with for opposing teams.

Sure, we may get burned a few times on defense by shooting gaps and losing a free smoke route or something, but if so their defense will have to strap up even more quickly and return to the buzzsaw that is a well operating CPJ offense.

It may be that I should stop wearing so much adidas, shorten the pour of my bourbon or ease off the hypetrain but until proven otherwise I’m hopeful that this year we have got something special and even more importantly we are finally turning a corner for sustained excellence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk