Taquan Marshall

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
One can blame size, the OL, receivers, the offense, lack of passing lanes or the weather in Pocatello. But the cold light of fact: Marshall cannot throw the ball very well. A more harsh judgment based on some of his out of ZIP code misses last season would be that he is bad at it. Lots of shorter QBs have been successful throwing the ball downfield, but if your hands, your arm, your depth perception, hand-eye coordination and that almost mystical on-the-fly geometric calculation of speed and converging lines do not work, well, you will fail. When a 4.5 sprinter is in high gear running a fly pattern 25 yards downfield it all comes into play, and within 5-6 seconds. Marshall is not good at it. He is good at running the ball. That will have to do, though I will keep my fingers crossed.

In the early games TM was a very good passer. As we experienced attrition on the o-line, he became less and less effective, but in the last 3-4 games his accuracy was very poor even when not pressured. I suspect he sustained a nagging injury that wasn't enough to sit him down, but affected his throwing motion. I expect to see much improvement from TM this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In the early games TM was a very good passer. As we experienced attrition on the o-line, he became less and less effective, but in the last 3-4 games his accuracy was very poor even when not pressured. I suspect he sustained a nagging injury that wasn't enough to sit him down, but affected his throwing motion. I expect to see much improvement from TM this year.

I thought Taquan did OK in the passing game...until it started raining. He just couldn't grip the ball and the ball would sail on him. Our passing game was practically nil when it started raining.

CPJ said something interesting in a recent interview. He brought up fluke non contact injuries that some of the players have sustained in the past and mentioned Lucas Johnson. He said it was a shame about LJ because he thought LJ would have been able to help us this season when we needed to pass the ball. Hmm...seems like CPJ might have made plans to platoon QBs when we needed to pass. Or, I could have been reading too much into what CPJ said. :)

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Has Taquon been saying that the problem is that he doesn’t see them? If not how do you decide that is the problem? I have heard him criticizing his own passes but not blaming his shortness as the cause for not seeing the receivers. Please correct me if I am wrong. Certainly height can help with seeing receivers but if he was 3 or 4 inches taller would that solve the problem?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Certainly I hope you're right. Johnson's passing game is not designed for high completion numbers, as is the RPO popular now, but for big hits, so unlike the run-pass dinks, he throws downfield. Vince Lombardi said Joe Namath was the best pure passer he ever saw, but he was only 50% for his career, and his high season number was less than 53%. That's because the great passer was going downfield every time. So I don't expect more than maybe 44-45% at best from Marshall, but the yards per pass attempted will be very high if he can do close to that. I am not confident he can.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Certainly I hope you're right. Johnson's passing game is not designed for high completion numbers, as is the RPO popular now, but for big hits, so unlike the run-pass dinks, he throws downfield. Vince Lombardi said Joe Namath was the best pure passer he ever saw, but he was only 50% for his career, and his high season number was less than 53%. That's because the great passer was going downfield every time. So I don't expect more than maybe 44-45% at best from Marshall, but the yards per pass attempted will be very high if he can do close to that.
with few interceptions and not being sacked often.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Leaves are already turning in Wyoming where I live.
My son and I will be out that way in early October, planning to revisit the Bad Lands, Deadwood and the big one, Little Big Horn, the latter in homage to whoever did Georgia Tech's football schedule this season. (Once long ago I did Cheyenne in August. The sun was bright, it rained, it hailed, it snowed ... and the sun was bright. That was one day.)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Has Taquon been saying that the problem is that he doesn’t see them? If not how do you decide that is the problem? I have heard him criticizing his own passes but not blaming his shortness as the cause for not seeing the receivers. Please correct me if I am wrong. Certainly height can help with seeing receivers but if he was 3 or 4 inches taller would that solve the problem?
I know it is a forlorn hope because Johnson is going to call Johnson's game, but maybe if things fall right Saturday he can let Marshall air it out a few times when the game is not on the line and let's see what he's got.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I know it is a forlorn hope because Johnson is going to call Johnson's game, but maybe if things fall right Saturday he can let Marshall air it out a few times when the game is not on the line and let's see what he's got.

I hope so, that would make me feel better if he completes some nice passes, long to WR’s and intermediate to Abacks

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I remember him passing on early downs and he over threw the receivers.
Coach to qb - pass but dont throw short ..qb says ok coach and does great in practice. Coach reminds him during game. AMPED UP QB SAILS IT 10 YDS LONG.

Lj would have had a role in those games where were down several scores late .
However I say t marshall will be settled down and will " see, stop, and pop".

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Physically being able to see players is one part of "qb vision", but it's really not the biggest part. In my experience, MOST of it is reps. It takes time to train yourself to keep your eyes downfield when stuff is happening right around you. It's deeply counterintuitive.

He is trying to learn now after almost having the same yds running as passing in hi school.History shows it is VERY difficult to learn this skill after moving up.
btw--if you watch his film or stills because he not a big powerful man he throws like a wind-up arching his back to get strength.This lowers his throwing height also.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I remember him passing on early downs and he over threw the receivers.
Coach to qb - pass but dont throw short ..qb says ok coach and does great in practice. Coach reminds him during game. AMPED UP QB SAILS IT 10 YDS LONG.

Lj would have had a role in those games where were down several scores late .
However I say t marshall will be settled down and will " see, stop, and pop".
I hope you're right. I am not a fan of the RPO or the West Coast dink it down the field offense so QBs get a 68% completion rate. (A couple of guys on the board have made the reasonable suggestion that some of our option stuff is just as much passing as those are.) But if it gets down range, then those are things of beauty.