Syracuse Post Game

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree on our OL pass blocking. King often got rid of it before he needed too. He had all day because they dropped 8 a lot. Our receivers didn’t do much to get open today. Run game was horrible though. Worst I’ve seen the OL run block since the beginning of last season.
That to me is the most frustrating part of today. They dropped 8 almost every pass play and we struggled because most our passes were “shot” plays. We need a solid intermediate passing game and need taller, bigger receivers. Blackburn needs to get some run and be the physical, outside presence we so desperately need. Speed is great in space, but when there is no space you gotta get physical. The O-line needs to be chewed up one side and down the other for the lack of a run game today. No reason whatsoever we couldn’t get any sort of push against a 3 man front.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That to me is the most frustrating part of today. They dropped 8 almost every pass play and we struggled because most our passes were “shot” plays. We need a solid intermediate passing game and need taller, bigger receivers. Blackburn needs to get some run and be the physical, outside presence we so desperately need. Speed is great in space, but when there is no space you gotta get physical. The O-line needs to be chewed up one side and down the other for the lack of a run game today. No reason whatsoever we couldn’t get any sort of push against a 3 man front.
That player should, and was several times, Boyd.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
That player should, and was several times, Boyd.
It’s a wrinkle that needs to be used more. Use the big boys like Boyd and Blackburn to spring open the game changers in Rutherford and Singleton. We had a good bit of success when we started targeting and using Boyd regularly. Still can’t believe they spotted him short for the 4th down we got stuffed on. Speaking of, why is that a straight handoff when we had been getting no push all night long? That’s needs to be a read call because if King pulls the ball he’d still be running.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
WE played a team with a QB that is VERY good and would score probably 4+ TDs vs our very avg DEF if given the ball and the chance. Knowing that ,we would have to control time of possession really by running the ball mostly. We basically DID NOT do THAT and so we lost. --Did luck out on the blocks but that only made it close.
The blocks weren't luck.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
100% dead on.

Better try to stop one play than two plays.
Yep. With 2 plays you are giving them 2 chances to make a first down. First read on the first play would be long ball. If not open, he likely dumps it off for shorter yardage, giving them another chance for a first down. Our pass defense showed weak all game and thinking we have a better chance of covering their deep receivers in 2 out of 2 plays vs 1 out of 1 play is not logical. This was not Ukelele throwing the ball.
I liked the call at the time for stopping them for one play at the time and I still like it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I can tell a lot of you didn't actually watch the game if you think their lines were beating our lines all game. our D was actually the more productive of the two at stopping the run and getting pressure. Their D got 0 sacks and King had all day to pass almost every play, he just rushed his progressions and kept checking down instead of waiting for someone to get open. On run plays we showed basically no creativity and Jamal seemed to have his eyes closed most of the game instead of looking for holes like he normally does. If our DBs could cover for even 3 seconds we would've gotten home more, but they made McCord's job easy instead and gave every receiver a big ole cushion.

Credit to McCord for taking advantage, but we beat ourselves a lot today.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
Seeing the complaining in here is funny some people are level headed and some are overreacting it's been worse move on to the next game and let's get the ship right
It is real simple...if we come back and boat race VMI with dynamic offense...then great! However if we sleepwalk around and run the same 3 plays over and over and barely get by, then we are backsliding into "worse"

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I can tell a lot of you didn't actually watch the game if you think their lines were beating our lines all game. our D was actually the more productive of the two at stopping the run and getting pressure. Their D got 0 sacks and King had all day to pass almost every play, he just rushed his progressions and kept checking down instead of waiting for someone to get open. On run plays we showed basically no creativity and Jamal seemed to have his eyes closed most of the game instead of looking for holes like he normally does. If our DBs could cover for even 3 seconds we would've gotten home more, but they made McCord's job easy instead and gave every receiver a big ole cushion.

I agree about Jamal, He looked great on his TD run showing good vision and great cutback. However, outside of that play he did seem off. One of his most uncharacteristic plays that stands out to me was when he was running to the outside with a WR (Rutherford?) blocking the DB out there and then Jamal cuts upfield right into the DB. He even looked dumbfounded at himself right after that play.

That being said, his play today does not mean he is not a great RB. Just like our teams play today (including coaches) does not mean we are not a great football team! Everything is still in front of us and our season is far from over!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

LOL, they rushed 3 on the vast majority of pass plays. Our receivers did not find the holes in the zone. Outrunning plays got stuffed nearly all the time as one of their DL or LBs came thru a gap in our OLs blocks.

Syracuse absolutely won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball today and it wasn’t close.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

This. Agreed.

A key example of us beating ourselves: the multiple times that our receivers ran curl routes on 3rd downs and stopped just shy of the first down marker to catch the ball. Stay aware of the marker and take 2 more steps and we have a first down.

Those sorts of minor decisions are aggravating - but not endemic. We can correct on those. I think we'll build off this game and get a lot better.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
KQ's post of CBK post game

Our coach obviously knows what he’s doing. None of the rest of you clowns have any idea. We lost to a better, portal rich team. Their QB had a career day. We are who we are. We aren’t a #23 team and we aren’t a #63 team. Enjoy the rest of the season. We will win some and we will lose some. Go Jackets.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Our coach obviously knows what he’s doing. None of the rest of you clowns have any idea. We lost to a better, portal rich team. Their QB had a career day. We are who we are. We aren’t a #23 team and we aren’t a #63 team. Enjoy the rest of the season. We will win some and we will lose some. Go Jackets.
Exactly, everyone said we will know who we are after the FSU game and how we respond. Now let's see how the team responds game. There is a lot of season left