Syracuse Post Game

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No it's not. This is why a 2nd and 10 holding call is accepted 95+% of the time on all levels of football.
“95% of the time.”

You see the problem, right?

What happened in the other 5% of cases? You apparently assume that those represent wrong decisions. Perhaps they do, perhaps they don’t. I’ve heard many a coach say over the years that sometimes you make a decision because you know where you are in the game at that moment. Those circumstances are sometimes unique and are outside the regular metrics. You clearly disagree, and I appreciate your thoughtful opinions about this, but just want you to understand that some of us think this was that 5% situation. Our defense was gassed and asking them to get one stop on 3rd and long seemed a more reasonable ask than asking them to stay on the field longer with the other team either running clock or forcing you to use timeouts. It didn’t work so that makes it easier to say it was the wrong decision but that, in my mind does not guarantee that the other decision would have worked better.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WE played a team with a QB that is VERY good and would score probably 4+ TDs vs our very avg DEF if given the ball and the chance. Knowing that ,we would have to control time of possession really by running the ball mostly. We basically DID NOT do THAT and so we lost. --Did luck out on the blocks but that only made it close.

Jolly Good Fellow
Wake me up when 2nd and 23...or 3rd and 12..... is not a "short-yardage conversion for the other guys.... DBs can't cover... nor can they tackle....I would bring 6 or 7 on every play simply because of this... glad I recorded the game, played golf, checked Swarm, erased the recording..

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If the hit a 15 yard play on 2nd and 22.5 you are not in the same situation as declining the penalty. It would now be 3rd and 7 or 8 and you would have lost about 10 seconds at least on the clock and minus a timeout. At that point time was a critical factor so saving as much as possible was Key's priority.

If it was third and short I would agree you should take the penalty but at third and long your defense SHOULD be able to make a stop more often than not.
If Daniels makes the stop on that 3rd down pass play, we had a shot to win the game… 🙄

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
“95% of the time.”

You see the problem, right?

What happened in the other 5% of cases? You apparently assume that those represent wrong decisions. Perhaps they do, perhaps they don’t. I’ve heard many a coach say over the years that sometimes you make a decision because you know where you are in the game at that moment. Those circumstances are sometimes unique and are outside the regular metrics. You clearly disagree, and I appreciate your thoughtful opinions about this, but just want you to understand that some of us think this was that 5% situation. Our defense was gassed and asking them to get one stop on 3rd and long seemed a more reasonable ask than asking them to stay on the field longer with the other team either running clock or forcing you to use timeouts. It didn’t work so that makes it easier to say it was the wrong decision but that, in my mind does not guarantee that the other decision would have worked better.
That 5% is reserved to a hold inside the 10 where the ball only moves back a couple yards.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
View attachment 16814
These are NFL odds but I stand behind this is why you have to take the penalty.

Can you get the chart of when you should take a penalty or not when you are losing in a one possession game with less than 2 minutes left and have been giving up chunk plays all game?

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Can you get the chart when you are losing in a one possession game with less than 2 minutes left and have been giving up chunk plays all game?
I actually typed something like that into ChatGPT for shiggles. It says take the damn penalty.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Man I won’t get over this one for at least two weeks.

We were out coached. Their coordinators outsmarted ours. Period.

Took us too long to throw the ball around. I understand the need to run the ball, but we had no creativity when it was obvious to everyone (except Faulkner obviously) that we couldn’t run it in this team.

I truly don’t understand our dedication to the bubble pass. Also, why are we not putting the ball in Boyd’s hands more? I thought Faulkner wasa TE guy. Boyd looks like he could be a weapon.

Santucci needs to do some self reflecting also. Way too committed to cover 2 and way to committed to “keeping the play in front” . Meaning… nowhere near aggressive enough.

Overall defense did NOT cost us the game. Our offense never got rolling.

A ton to learn from but hopefully they figure it out within the next two weeks. We have to open the playbook up, Trust king to throw the ball when needed, get aggressive on D, and find some freaking urgency in our 2 minute offenses!

Oh, GREAT JOB SPECIAL TEAMS! #GoJackets
I agree, our offense needed to match them blow for blow and instead wet the bed. We had a chance to go up a possession on them when it was tied 7-7 and went 3 and out, then we just blew a golden opportunity to get aggressive and tie it up with 1:49 to go in the half and just went conservative as hell and wasted the clock away, then missed the field goal. Then came out after halftime and went 3-4 downs and punted, then couldn’t convert that 4th down….just really disappointing, it felt like we shot ourselves in the foot over and over and never adjusted to their gameplan

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Finally something I agree with you on. 95% of the time you will accept a second and 10 holding or penalty call. The other 5% is when you're trying to save timeouts and time on the clock at the end of a game.
We had plenty of timeouts. If we had no timeouts, I'd agree with not taking the penalty.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Disagree on our OL pass blocking. King often got rid of it before he needed too. He had all day because they dropped 8 a lot. Our receivers didn’t do much to get open today. Run game was horrible though. Worst I’ve seen the OL run block since the beginning of last season.
Yes, that was a typo. I meant run blocking. That’s why I mentioned the running game. Typing too fast. Thanks.