Syracuse Post Game

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Some of my observations watching the game live:

Defense was having trouble getting set in the first half. I counted 6 times we were running players on the field or still standing at the snap. We fixed that in the second half.

We had two defensive backs get injured. Both times they immediately picked on the replacements for big plays (one a touchdown). We need to anticipate this and bring a double.

We were down by 7 and failed to score on consecutive possessions (the last possession of the first half and the first possession of the second half). I knew we were in trouble then.

I thought the spot was bad on that 3rd down - but it also looked a yard short on second too.

/

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, impressions and I will make them short.

First, we lost by three points. That's 3 as in three points. Birr makes his field goal and we're tied in the last minute. Too bad Efrford didn't come up with that tipped ball. Ah, well.

Second, I knew we'd have trouble with McCord. Everybody has had and will have trouble with McCord. We needed to score 30+ to win and we didn't. This was mainly because we couldn't run the ball. That'll have to be worked on.

Third, King had a good game. Again. Carrie looked ok, but the run blocking wasn't there today.

Fourth, the special teams gave us a chance to win, but we couldn't cash in. The Orange D had something to do with that but it was mostly us, imho.

Fifth, the D didn't play badly. We got pressure on McCord regularly, but he has a quick release and he knows it. He isn't afraid of a rush and doesn't flush easily. They didn't run the ball well, but they didn't need to.

Well, close, but no cigar.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not down on our coaches and think we have a good staff. Everyone has bad days and I think they had a bad day today - particularly on offense.

We were having trouble running the ball on first down primarily due to Syracuse shooting LBs. We should have been able to take advantage of that but seemed to just continue to run on first down regardless. Syracuse made good 4th down call with a receiver sweep - we run up the middle with a pulling guard that the LB took advantage of by shooting the gap. Just no creativity. I felt we showed a lack of urgency late in the first half.

Our defensive coordinator is somewhat handcuffed by not having a pass rush so all-in-all I thought he called a decent game. Maybe could have tried some more safety or corner blitzes but he was up against a smart QB who was accurate so had to be careful. I see improvement on defense from last year in terms of tackling and coverage.

On Key, he should have taken the penalty late in the game. The staff will have better games. Loss not all on them but with some better play calling, we could have won.

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Our coach obviously knows what he’s doing. None of the rest of you clowns have any idea. We lost to a better, portal rich team. Their QB had a career day. We are who we are. We aren’t a #23 team and we aren’t a #63 team. Enjoy the rest of the season. We will win some and we will lose some. Go Jackets.

This isn’t making the point you seem to want to make. I like coach, but saying the team is essentially average is only a negative reflection on the coach. Coaches are ultimately judged by wins and losses. It’s natural people are going to be more negative after a loss.

Not only that, this feels like a defeatist attitude. I personally believe we certainly have the offense to be a #23 team. Coach Key wants those expectations. He doesn’t want us to shoot for being #50.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The conservative play by offense at end of first half and the 2 drives after half were disappointing.
Equally disappointing was the soft deep drop zone pass defense in first half.

"The just be tough and you win" is also disappointing

I am worrried we are running out of scheme.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
This isn’t making the point you seem to want to make. I like coach, but saying the team is essentially average is only a negative reflection on the coach. Coaches are ultimately judged by wins and losses. It’s natural people are going to be more negative after a loss.

Not only that, this feels like a defeatist attitude. I personally believe we certainly have the offense to be a #23 team. Coach Key wants those expectations. He doesn’t want us to shoot for being #50.
Our portal rank is 65. Syracuse is 24. They grabbed an excellent QB that beat us today. We lost to a better team on the road. To expect us to win every game isn’t realistic. The constant complaining and blaming our coach every time we lose is just ignorance of how tough this game is. I agree that Coach Key expects more but denigrating every decision he’s made in a close game is counterproductive. We won’t go 11-1. We probably won’t go 2-10. We have a chance to win most games on our schedule but we won’t win them all and to complain every time we lose is idiotic.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Our portal rank is 65. Syracuse is 24. They grabbed an excellent QB that beat us today. We lost to a better team on the road. To expect us to win every game isn’t realistic. The constant complaining and blaming our coach every time we lose is just ignorance of how tough this game is. I agree that Coach Key expects more but denigrating every decision he’s made in a close game is counterproductive. We won’t go 11-1. We probably won’t go 2-10. We have a chance to win most games on our schedule but we won’t win them all and to complain every time we lose is idiotic.
I don’t mind people being disappointed but some of the criticisms of Key today are really bombastic. And calling our team pathetic, or suggesting that any aspect of this program is a joke, is just really over the top.

We lost. Syracuse was the better team today. Some of us predicted this. It doesn’t mean our coaches are idiots and it doesn’t mean we aren’t improving.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

First time following sports? This is literally what every fanbase of every sport does. This is literally what following sports is. Watch the games and discuss the highs and lows and debate why the highs and lows happened.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
First time following sports? This is literally what every fanbase of every sport does. This is literally what following sports is. Watch the games and discuss the highs and lows and debate why the highs and lows happened.
I’ve been following this team since 1977. Every Madden playing idiot just started claiming to be experts in the last few years. I’m just tired of reading nonsense from tuba players.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Well, impressions and I will make them short.

First, we lost by three points. That's 3 as in three points. Birr makes his field goal and we're tied in the last minute. Too bad Efrford didn't come up with that tipped ball. Ah, well.

Second, I knew we'd have trouble with McCord. Everybody has had and will have trouble with McCord. We needed to score 30+ to win and we didn't. This was mainly because we couldn't run the ball. That'll have to be worked on.

Third, King had a good game. Again. Carrie looked ok, but the run blocking wasn't there today.

Fourth, the special teams gave us a chance to win, but we couldn't cash in. The Orange D had something to do with that but it was mostly us, imho.

Fifth, the D didn't play badly. We got pressure on McCord regularly, but he has a quick release and he knows it. He isn't afraid of a rush and doesn't flush easily. They didn't run the ball well, but they didn't need to.

Well, close, but no cigar.
McCord, in addition to a quick release and amazing accuracy, has several great receivers who catch the ball. BTW Penn State beat Bowling Green by 7 points.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been following this team since 1977. Every Madden playing idiot just started claiming to be experts in the last few years. I’m just tired of reading nonsense from tuba players.

The term “armchair quarterback” has been in the vernacular way before Madden. This is and has always been how fans are about sports.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Coach said he fell on his side (breath knocked out) and he will have to check to see what’s going on with him.
I was playing a junior league game once and was lead blocker on a goal play on a dive play up the middle. I ended up on the bottom of the pile and had the breath knocked out of me. I thought I was dieing and went running off the field to seek medical help. My coach was screaming at me to get back in the game for the extra point. When I got within a few feet of him he yelled at me "What in the hell is the matter with you, get back in the game!" By that time, my breath had come back and I was fine. I said " I guess nothing now", and ran back and played the extra point. 🙂

Backstreetbuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to give our defensive players some caffeine before the game and we need to work the portal better. We need to figure out the two weakest positions (DL, LB) and go out and buy some players to improve them. It has worked for Mississippi.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We looked tired from the beginning of the game to me. Running in quicksand, everyone a step slow, and one of our best OL getting knocked on his back by a player he probably outweighed by 70 pounds. We’ve gone from looking like one of the quickest teams in football to looking like we are playing at 3/4 speed.
Two weeks in a row. Concerning.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One mostly ignored aspect of the game (because it fell short) is the comeback. Tech was 17 points down with what, half a quarter to go when the Jackets roared back and were within one play of getting the ball back with an excellent chance of pulling it out of the fire. If the defense stops one third and ten play, I believe we're singing a much different tune this morning.