Syracuse Post Game

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Man I won’t get over this one for at least two weeks.

We were out coached. Their coordinators outsmarted ours. Period.

Took us too long to throw the ball around. I understand the need to run the ball, but we had no creativity when it was obvious to everyone (except Faulkner obviously) that we couldn’t run it in this team.

I truly don’t understand our dedication to the bubble pass. Also, why are we not putting the ball in Boyd’s hands more? I thought Faulkner wasa TE guy. Boyd looks like he could be a weapon.

Santucci needs to do some self reflecting also. Way too committed to cover 2 and way to committed to “keeping the play in front” . Meaning… nowhere near aggressive enough.

Overall defense did NOT cost us the game. Our offense never got rolling.

A ton to learn from but hopefully they figure it out within the next two weeks. We have to open the playbook up, Trust king to throw the ball when needed, get aggressive on D, and find some freaking urgency in our 2 minute offenses!

Oh, GREAT JOB SPECIAL TEAMS! #GoJackets
If you want to be specific, two missed FGs hurt badly. The O and D share equally, IMPO. The O failed to adjust so as to move the ball and that gave SU more possessions than we wanted. It also tired out the D. It was clear early that SU was content throwing underneath our soft coverage and that we weren’t going to blitz often. Both of those approaches should have been adjusted early on. Finally, we blew our last possession of the first half piddling around and settling for a long FG. The bad was spread all over yesterday. Lots to consider and work on.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If you want to be specific, two missed FGs hurt badly. The O and D share equally, IMPO. The O failed to adjust so as to move the ball and that gave SU more possessions than we wanted. It also tired out the D. It was clear early that SU was content throwing underneath our soft coverage and that we weren’t going to blitz often. Both of those approaches should have been adjusted early on. Finally, we blew our last possession of the first half piddling around and settling for a long FG. The bad was spread all over yesterday. Lots to consider and work on.
We didn't have the personnel to play man on defense with their tall, fast receivers and their talented QB destroyed our zone defense with his accurate throws. It was a terrible match up for us yesterday for our defense. Let's see what happens the rest of the way.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Two things stand out to me, most disappointing to me was the lack of ability to run the ball with the OL seemingly ineffective. In addition, I don't know what our defensive game plan was, I guess bend but don't break, but until we can put pressure on opposing QB's we are not going to take the next step forward.

This was either an eye opener or a wake-up call ... time will tell.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow
Loved the heart in the comeback. Agree with many assessments. IMHO Syracuse is pretty good (we shall see). The difference maker was the home advantage in a tough environment.
2 plays don’t make the game, I get it. But… the missed FG (obviously) and the strange quick 4th down play in our territory down 10 stand out to me. First, we got a bad spot (I told SWMBO) which should have been reviewed. Then with a big QB like HK we don’t sneak and get 12 inches🤷🏻. That put us in a huge hole.
But though I gave up then, kudos to the team as they didn’t give up and almost pulled it out.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
That anyone or anything that hasn’t coached is not an expert in making coaching decisions.

I’ll bite. If this logic held, we might as well shut down the internet. And I’ll add to my list of non-qualifications: I’ve never been an AD for an NCAA team either. So any criticism of Stansbury keeping Geoff for 3+ seasons was invalid too, right?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One mostly ignored aspect of the game (because it fell short) is the comeback. Tech was 17 points down with what, half a quarter to go when the Jackets roared back and were within one play of getting the ball back with an excellent chance of pulling it out of the fire. If the defense stops one third and ten play, I believe we're singing a much different tune this morning.
They never quit on offense.
Defense was discouraged.

Other teams know our offensive plays and defensive weakness. They are practicing defeating them. Our rb in previous games broke a few long plays and almost always go 3 yds up the middle. This game one long play 20 yd td but 16 other attempts had 17 yds. ( definition of insantity - run the ball where they know you are coming and have been stoning you) . I guess we can be a jr high team where the big kid at qb is our only weapon , but he also is expcted to be perfect at passing.

Staying in a soft zone when getting diced up will make you feel discouraged.

We gradually changed and at end were playing way better.
I trust the cosches to sccheme better and to have in game alternate flavors.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I’ll bite. If this logic held, we might as well shut down the internet. And I’ll add to my list of non-qualifications: I’ve never been an AD for an NCAA team either. So any criticism of Stansbury keeping Geoff for 3+ seasons was invalid too, right?
While the inexperienced among us (including me) have a right to our opinions, they should come with a realization that we aren't experts and may be missing some vital information which could alter them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m all for criticism.

Smug certainly over a judgment call is asinine is all I’m saying.

And your argument would be stronger if you were a coach, or baring that, you found a coach who felt as strongly as you and others that the call by Key was egregiously, disastrously wrong.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I had forgotten about this one too, but it looked like an obvious defensive PI against Leary or Lane coming across the middle early in the game that stalled a drive. That could have lead to a sustained drive and altered the game. The defender definitely got there early.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First of all, we all need to give 'Cuse a lot of credit. They were well prepared, did their homework, and were a step ahead today in the schematic part of the game. They are also very talented. Most of their skill guys on offense will be playing on Sundays. Their QB may be the best we have faced in a few years, including UNC's and UGA's. He was on point and on time all day. Going in, we pretty much knew we would surrender some yards through the air. To me that what not surprising at all. On the surface, it looks like we didn't defend at all, nor have a good plan. But in many ways I was very happy with our defense and our scheme. We forced A LOT of 3rd downs in this game, many of them for over 5 yards. That puts us in good position to get off the field. We win yesterday, if we could have just held them to 50% (or just under) on 3rd down. Sadly, they always seemed to have the right play called at the right time and executed very well.

On offense, GT didn't run the ball well enough to win either. I thought 'Cuse did a really good job of mixing in run/pass blitz with drop 8 and cover. Once again, I feel like more often than not, they had the right defense called for the plays we chose to run. Some of that is luck. Some of that is just good film study, and good coaching / game planning.

In short, the game flipped on those two facets: lackluster 3rd down defense and failing to sustain enough of a run game to place us in 2nd and 5 situations.

What to do? Well, I think both of our coordinators might need to self scout themselves a little bit moving forward, especially in terms of tendencies with down and distance. We ended up on the short end of the stick with play calling yesterday. Some of that is luck. Some isn't. In terms of physicality, I saw yesterday's game as a pretty even battle. We did not WIN that battle as I had hoped. If you do win that battle consistently enough, it really doesn't matter much what plays you call. With that said, it doesn't mean we aren't an improved team on that front. In my estimation we clearly are. Syracuse will win a lot this year. In November, this will not look like a bad loss.

As sad as you may feel today, take some solace in the fact that our kids fought like hell to the end. That matters a whole lot to me. We came crazy close to having another miracle finish on a game we didn't really deserve to win. If we were lucky enough to come down with that batted ball in the scrum on that last drive (Efford?), it would have been right there on a platter. That's why you keep fighting even when the average human being feels like quitting. If that keeps up, it will pay off in a game this year that really matters.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not buying this "tired" business. There's some hangover reaching all the way from Dublin to Syracuse? These guys are 20 years old and need some Geritol or maybe Serutan? Maybe iron poor blood.
I’m not sure the reason, or whether it is justified, but these kids act like they’ve been on a treadmill too long. A bye week will serve them well. They played much faster and quicker than FSU. They’ve been a step slow ever since. Just telling you what I see.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We didn't have the personnel to play man on defense with their tall, fast receivers and their talented QB destroyed our zone defense with his accurate throws. It was a terrible match up for us yesterday for our defense. Let's see what happens the rest of the way.
The way you beat that when he’s in process of going for over 400 yards 8, 10, 12 yards a pop
is to blitz the crap out of him. He may still beat you but you can sure make him pay.,

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been following this team since 1977. Every Madden playing idiot just started claiming to be experts in the last few years. I’m just tired of reading nonsense from tuba players.

Though not football. Bill Buckner received death threats after he missed a ground ball in the 1986 World Series. I guess all of his death threats came from people who played 1st base in the major leagues..

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think we all underestimated Cuse and overestimated GT. Maybe we aren't quite ready for the CFP.
I agree. Like I said before 50%of our so-called fan base suck. Win a game and they think we are going to the CFP, lose a game they don't think the coaches know how to coach.
I still love this coaching staff and the players.

Maybe some on here need to quit their job a find a job as a coach. (Hint be here be ready to work 7 days a week and well over 12 hours a day. and during the so-called off season enjoy traveling to high schools to do your recruiting and having a job that you are lucky to keep your job 3 years)

No college team plays100% every game but when you don't you hope you are playing a week team or luck is on your side)

I'm not saying as a fan you don't the right to be upset and pissed off as long as you still support the team.