Syracuse Post Game

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
But you also give them an extra down to run clock. Clock was the enemy at that point.

We still had all three time outs and it would have been 2nd and 25. If they ran the ball twice, we’d have the ball with 1 timeout and 90 seconds or so left. That’s plenty of time. That’s an easy decision with the way our defense was playing, in my opinion.

Backstreetbuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
We were badly outplayed. It would have been a fluke if we had won, but I would have taken it. There are about 14-15 teams in the ACC that are roughly equal and we are one of them. At least now, we will not have folks worrying themselves about the 12 team playoff. If we win 6 games against this schedule, I will be very happy.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
We had 3 timeouts and I almost guarantee you Syracuse just concedes the drive and runs it twice facing 2nd and 25. I have full faith that Haynes King can lead a game winning drive with 1:40 and 1 timeout. Key didn't and that was the difference in the game - he wanted the defense to stop a 3rd and 10 and King to have the extra 2 timeouts. When you look at how the rest of the game had gone, the math just doesn't work out here.
Exactly this. Take the penalty, move them back, they likely just run the ball, maybe pass once to get some yards but they do not convert there. We get the ball back with at least 1 minute and 1 timeout. Plenty of time to kick a field goal or just outright score and win.

Total coaching failure there imo.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it? In real time, before the next play where Syracuse converted, I was questioning why we didn't accept the penalty and basically force them backward so they'd have to work for that first down thus guaranteeing we get the ball back with at last 1 timeout.
There was absolutely no guarantee to get the ball back if they accepted it. They could have easily gotten 10 to 15 yards on the 2nd down play and then it would have been back to the same or worst 3rd down try with more time off the clock

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We had 3 timeouts and I almost guarantee you Syracuse just concedes the drive and runs it twice facing 2nd and 25. I have full faith that Haynes King can lead a game winning drive with 1:40 and 1 timeout. Key didn't and that was the difference in the game - he wanted the defense to stop a 3rd and 10 and King to have the extra 2 timeouts. When you look at how the rest of the game had gone, the math just doesn't work out here.
But that’s not the way Syracuse was playing. You don’t give them an extra down to get a first down, especially as tired as our defense was. I thought it was the right call.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I didn't understand why we didn't blitz majorly on third down when we still had a chance. McCord barely got the pass off as it was.
Had we blitzed, I felt we would have stopped them, gotten the ball back, and won the game. But who knows...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were badly outplayed. It would have been a fluke if we had won, but I would have taken it. There are about 14-15 teams in the ACC that are roughly equal and we are one of them. At least now, we will not have folks worrying themselves about the 12 team playoff. If we win 6 games against this schedule, I will be very happy.
Play to make a bowl at this point. Too many teams about the same as you pointed out. Miami, N D and UGA would be upsets at this point.

Backstreetbuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly this. Take the penalty, move them back, they likely just run the ball, maybe pass once to get some yards but they do not convert there. We get the ball back with at least 1 minute and 1 timeout. Plenty of time to kick a field goal or just outright score and win.

Total coaching failure there imo.
50/50 decision.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Ahh, the wake up call!

I missed the first quarter and half the second. We were down 21-7 when I turned it on. We outscored them 21-10 after I turned it on, but that’s not enough to win. Make the FG and maybe things are different.

Basically seems like we showed up overly confident and got down by too much to come back from even at our best. It happens.

I was surprised how we remained committed to the run for so long when they were keying heavily on it - particularly on first down.

By the time we adjusted there wasn’t enough time. Get a stop on 3rd down at the end and I’m 99% sure we win.

Might be good these guys lost a game. Win next week and take down Louisville. Undefeated was unrealistic. Syracuse isn’t the team we need tiebreakers against.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Play to make a bowl at this point. Too many teams about the same as you pointed out. Miami, N D and UGA would be upsets at this point.
F playing for just a bowl game. We can still win the ACC and make it to the playoffs! Yes this was a terrible game but that doesn't mean we can't turn it around. We are only 3 games in and 2-1 which is about where most people saw us with the FSU and Cause games swapped.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Well damn. Too little too late.

The coaching decision to decline the penalty on Syracuse’s last possession could have gone either way. I agree with Key’s decision. Those suggesting that was the ballgame are shamelessly ignoring the way our defense got owned for 90% of the game.

Also our offense was way too conservative for 80% of the game. Not converting some points after the blocked punt was a big failure.

We are still miles ahead of where we were when Key took over from that wannabe.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This game, and some of the comments, remind me of some CPJ’s losses.

The opening comment by the color analyst for the broadcast referred to Tech’s option offense. That was a correct assessment in my opinion. The reason you develop an option component is to offset any personnel deficiencies compared to your opponent. But the offense depends on controlling the tempo of the game. We did not do that for any number of reasons -too much travel, being tired, facing a very good quarterback, whatever.

When CPJ would lose a game like this people would come out of the woodwork to second guess the coaching decisions and play calls. Usually there was a reference to some kind of “stubbornness” that we called too many run plays in the middle or something else.

Sometimes you just get beaten by a team that’s having a better day than you. I will predict right now that the same thing is going to happen to one of our future opponents who will lose to us even though favored.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thinking about our 4th down call, Cuse timed the snap with our motion and blew up play. Think we don’t need to motion or at least have a false snap count. I know Key believes if we can’t get one yard running then we don’t deserve to win, but I like to have options on critical downs. Play action roll out king with run pass option.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
…but the guys played hard
Actually I’m not sure we did until late. Our O line got exposed a bit in the second and third quarters. From Key’s standpoint I would use this as a teaching moment that being physical cannot be a big game trait. It had to be every week.