Syracuse Post Game

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A little surprised we didn't rush more off the edge with safety or corner and roll the corner/ safety to cover the safety valve receiver. Hardly got any pressure from anyone today. Coverage seemed to get better in the second half. It seemed like we always had to make a tackle in space with 5 yard cushion on the edges. QB not a big running threat but he did make one good one. Should have been a penalty for the spike.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought Syracuse would have success passing the ball, but not as much as they did. Part of that is that I thought we’d be more successful on offense. Time of possession is usually an edge for us, but it wasn’t today.

View attachment 16813

Our offensive and defensive coaches have a lot to learn from today. We only ran for 112 yards. More importantly, we just didn’t keep pace, especially in the first half. There are a bunch of reasons this game was lost. Three and outs will kill your options
This is exactly it. If our coaches are worth a hoot, they will learn from this game. If not, well we might as well start interviewing folks.

Absolute embarrassment of a coaching job but they are young coaches so hopefully we figure it out

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Ahh, the wake up call!

I missed the first quarter and half the second. We were down 21-7 when I turned it on. We outscored them 21-10 after I turned it on, but that’s not enough to win. Make the FG and maybe things are different.

Basically seems like we showed up overly confident and got down by too much to come back from even at our best. It happens.

I was surprised how we remained committed to the run for so long when they were keying heavily on it - particularly on first down.

By the time we adjusted there wasn’t enough time. Get a stop on 3rd down at the end and I’m 99% sure we win.

Might be good these guys lost a game. Win next week and take down Louisville. Undefeated was unrealistic. Syracuse isn’t the team we need tiebreakers against.
With the way the ACC standings work now, any loss could be a problem tie-breaker wise.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m 100% on board with taking the penalty. Make them earn a 2nd and 22. They would have had to have two plays like the one they got to convert. You take that penalty in the 2nd quarter in the same position, why not there? The goal is to get the ball back and we didn’t play the odds. We had timeouts. At worst they punt with 1:35 on the clock if they don’t get 22 yards over two dowI agree and was hoping for that too. But Key was figuring if they made it on 3rd and 10 they would

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Just rechecked the career stats for Beck and McCord and lol at the idea that there’s an easy winner there in Beck.

UGA’s been a bit better overall and they’ve been pretty statistically even and both very good. This ain’t a BG or BC QB we just played.

People are outsmarting themselves to “ not fall for it” that a senior who’s always been excellent is excellent just because GT made mediocre QBs look good before.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
We knew we needed to run the ball and win the time of possession to win this game today. Just got completely bullied up front. A lot of that last week too, concerning. Defense still always just too slow to get home on blitz. It’s gonna be tough to get to 6 wins this season playing like that.
Yes, very disappointed with our OL play since Ireland. They have played soft two games in a row now. Does not bode well.

We couldn’t establish a ball control running game and wouldn’t pass downfield until it was too late. You can't win against a guy like McCord doing that or he’ll eat you alive. He did.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Season ain’t over. Syracuse is not a bad team and McCord made some throws we’ll only see from 2 or 3 QBs all year. We’re gonna play some good football ahead. Unfortunately we just used up a lot of our margin - every game is a must-win if we want to make a bowl or better.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I was hoping for that too because it would have backed them up deep and put a ton of pressure on them. But Key was figuring that if they make the 3rd and 10 then he still had three time outs with that next series. But if they took the penalty and Syracuse had two more downs, Tech would have had to burn a time out in that series. Hindsight is 20-20 but I was hoping for that also at the time. We just could not make a stop when we had to all day. Their third down success rate was way too high.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I thought Syracuse would have success passing the ball, but not as much as they did. Part of that is that I thought we’d be more successful on offense. Time of possession is usually an edge for us, but it wasn’t today.

View attachment 16813

Our offensive and defensive coaches have a lot to learn from today. We only ran for 112 yards. More importantly, we just didn’t keep pace, especially in the first half. There are a bunch of reasons this game was lost. Three and outs will kill your options
The wonder is with over 500 yards total offense, that they did not score more. In the first half they were on pace to have 600 yards total offense. Special teams kept us in the game and gave us a slim chance to pull out a miracle win.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping for that too because it would have backed them up deep and put a ton of pressure on them. But Key was figuring that if they make the 3rd and 10 then he still had three time outs with that next series. But if they took the penalty and Syracuse had two more downs, Tech would have had to burn a time out in that series. Hindsight is 20-20 but I was hoping for that also at the time. We just could not make a stop when we had to all day. Their third down success rate was way too high.
The issue was we gave ourselves no margin for error not trying the onside kick, or at least a low pooch kick and beat them to the ball.

It mattered not if they scored again. We had to get the ball back. An onside/pooch kick gives you two shots at possession. Kicking deep only gives you one.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Season ain’t over. Syracuse is not a bad team and McCord made some throws we’ll only see from 2 or 3 QBs all year. We’re gonna play some good football ahead. Unfortunately we just used up a lot of our margin - every game is a must-win if we want to make a bowl or better.
Well, look out because Louisville is in two weeks and it gets no easier after that except for Duke and maybe UNC.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
I am on record with agreeing with coach Key’s decision but I will be interested to see what he says about it in the post presser.
IMG_6507.jpeg

These are NFL odds but I stand behind this is why you have to take the penalty.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is what I saw we got out coached they play better than we did.

Fact we have a lot of really bad fans, win a game they think we will win the ACC, lose a a game and we won't win another game.
we are 2-1 who thought at the beginning of the season we would be 2-1, 90% thought we would but we would but lose to FSU and win this game.
I have faith in our coaching staff (although this was not a good game for them) I have faith in our players as bad as they did not quit. It's easy to watch a game and tell people I would have done this and not that and second guess the coaches.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
D is who I feared they were. Need a few unblockable guys in front 7. McCord is NFL quality.

O line couldn’t pass block this week. Other than some King runs, rushing was anemic. It is what it is.

Go Jackets!
Disagree on our OL pass blocking. King often got rid of it before he needed too. He had all day because they dropped 8 a lot. Our receivers didn’t do much to get open today. Run game was horrible though. Worst I’ve seen the OL run block since the beginning of last season.