Syracuse Post Game

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
The gap between our team and true top 15 teams is large, its going to take years. Yes king is good. Yes jamal is solid. Yes we have talent at wr. The rest is not top tier or even that next level tier. obviously stating we aspire to be a top 15-20 program as a standard. But this is simply a middle acc middle ncaa team. Thats all.

Alot Of recruiting to do.
You can build a team in a year with hired guns. You just have to outbid other teams.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Why didn't we accept the penalty and back them up to make them earn that first down? Even if we have to burn 2 timeouts we at least get the ball back with one timeouts and decent time for a field goal. Seemed like a stupid decision to decline the penalty when we were making McCord look like Tom Brady in my opinion.
Hindsight is always 20-20 but in this instance with them in their own territory it was worth the risk of giving them another down.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
King looked pissed. I hope this galvanizes him to make the offense look more like the last drive and be less complacent when the run up the gut isn’t getting 5+.

The offense last year was more flexible than it was most of today, I think Key went overboard on thinking running on FSU meant they could play easy mode.
He should be. He led a 74 yard drive with 24 seconds and 0 timeouts against Miami. Key didn't believe him in to go 45 yards to tie, 75 yards to win with 1:45 and 1 timeout. It's a horrible decision by Key, there's no way around it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
1000006140.png

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Idk, coverage was pretty tight on him. The TE just absolutely manhandled the press attempt which gave McCord the window to throw the ball into. Recovery was good, just a better throw. Missed opportunity to catch a pick on the screen on first down. Then Burrell had a silver-platter pick thrown right to him on the curl, except his back was turned to the ball (no shocker there, DJ White was the last GT cornerback that played the ball, not the receiver and look at how many picks he had). Then, we get gifted a 15 yard penalty which almost assures us getting the ball back, which we politely declined to save a timeout and give up the most predictable pass play they have in the playbook. IIWII, but we most definitely had our chances and that’s not even bringing up the missed FG at the end of the half which would have ended up making a tied game after our miraculous 14 point run with less than 5 minutes left in the game.
Did you see the expression on the running back's face when he got up from barely holding on to the ball? It was like, McCord let's just forget the middle screen OK? That is not a good call in that situation, too many things can go wrong. Syracuse was fortunate that Effords did not rip that ball out as it was juggled at least twice by the running back.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wonder how much the three long flights in 2 weeks have taken a toll on the team. I know they’re young, but it accumulates and Cuse has been resting at home. We looked quite sluggish physically and mentally with many assignment misses. Hats off to Cuse offense, they executed almost flawless on offense. Our D line got little pressure, linebackers can’t cover in space and Dbacks are too far removed to make a play on most passes. Most disappointing part of game was Oline, did not establish run game. We had two drives start at 40 yard line and did nothing with them one before half and after. That was middle 8 and we folded.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Spiking the ball is absolutely a penalty but the refs were horrendous this game. It wasn't clearly one sided like last week but they were just plain terrible!
I wondered about that spike also.

And, did anyone else think the spot by the refs was short on the tight end catch before we were stuffed on the 4th down play? I tried to replay it several times but didn’t have another camera angle, obviously, to see if the tight end’s knee hit before the ball crossed the first down line.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
He should be. He led a 74 yard drive with 24 seconds and 0 timeouts against Miami. Key didn't believe him in to go 45 yards to tie, 75 yards to win with 1:45 and 1 timeout. It's a horrible decision by Key, there's no way around it.
Not just that, but with receivers making mistakes, and imo probably with some of the play calls too.