Syracuse Post Game

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how much the three long flights in 2 weeks have taken a toll on the team. I know they’re young, but it accumulates and Cuse has been resting at home. We looked quite sluggish physically and mentally with many assignment misses. Hats off to Cuse offense, they executed almost flawless on offense. Our D line got little pressure, linebackers can’t cover in space and Dbacks are too far removed to make a play on most passes. Most disappointing part of game was Oline, did not establish run game. We had two drives start at 40 yard line and did nothing with them one before half and after. That was middle 8 and we folded.
I am beginning to think you are onto something about the toll taken by traveling. Playing VMI this week and Syracuse next week might have made a huge difference.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I wondered about that spike also.

And, did anyone else think the spot by the refs was short on the tight end catch before we were stuffed on the 4th down play? I tried to replay it several times but didn’t have another camera angle, obviously, to see if the tight end’s knee hit before the ball crossed the first down line.
They spotted the ball a yard short on A LOT of our plays including one where Haynes caught the ball at the marker on the last offense drive.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Hindsight is always 20-20 but in this instance with them in their own territory it was worth the risk of giving them another down.
Is it? In real time, before the next play where Syracuse converted, I was questioning why we didn't accept the penalty and basically force them backward so they'd have to work for that first down thus guaranteeing we get the ball back with at last 1 timeout.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how much the three long flights in 2 weeks have taken a toll on the team. I know they’re young, but it accumulates and Cuse has been resting at home. We looked quite sluggish physically and mentally with many assignment misses. Hats off to Cuse offense, they executed almost flawless on offense. Our D line got little pressure, linebackers can’t cover in space and Dbacks are too far removed to make a play on most passes. Most disappointing part of game was Oline, did not establish run game. We had two drives start at 40 yard line and did nothing with them one before half and after. That was middle 8 and we folded.
Agree completely. This is what I was afraid of with a tired team and why I picked Syracuse to win by <7.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wondered about that spike also.

And, did anyone else think the spot by the refs was short on the tight end catch before we were stuffed on the 4th down play? I tried to replay it several times but didn’t have another camera angle, obviously, to see if the tight end’s knee hit before the ball crossed the first down line.
I thought he had the first down. He sure wasn't a full yard short, as was spotted.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
FOR WAY TO LONG
We played a soft zone against very good qb.
FOR WAY TO LONG
Key thought we would run them out of stadium

Got to come up and take chances on defenses.
Got to let King scramble instead of 20 yd to sideline.

Loiusville will be rough

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Is it? In real time, before the next play where Syracuse converted, I was questioning why we didn't accept the penalty and basically force them backward so they'd have to work for that first down thus guaranteeing we get the ball back with at last 1 timeout.
I think I worded that post poorly. I was agreeing that we should have taken the penalty under the circumstances. Hell, they probably would have gone for it on fourth down and made it anyway.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
We lost this game due to the inability to run the ball, which our O is based on. Yes, Mcord is really good. Best I've seen in ayear or more. That's why we needed to run the ball and the clock and minimize their possessions. I'm not sure how they stoped it so completely, but they ignored our "eye candy" for one thing. Kept a spy on King, and kept 6-7 men close to the LOS. Proud of the comeback effort. Shout out to special teams. They were great, and they have been so poor for years. Good effort guys.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
But you also give them an extra down to run clock. Clock was the enemy at that point.
We had 3 timeouts and I almost guarantee you Syracuse just concedes the drive and runs it twice facing 2nd and 25. I have full faith that Haynes King can lead a game winning drive with 1:40 and 1 timeout. Key didn't and that was the difference in the game - he wanted the defense to stop a 3rd and 10 and King to have the extra 2 timeouts. When you look at how the rest of the game had gone, the math just doesn't work out here.