Syracuse Post Game

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about our 4th down call, Cuse timed the snap with our motion and blew up play. Think we don’t need to motion or at least have a false snap count. I know Key believes if we can’t get one yard running then we don’t deserve to win, but I like to have options on critical downs. Play action roll out king with run pass option.
If they run read option there King likely goes for a TD

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m 100% on board with taking the penalty. Make them earn a 2nd and 22. They would have had to have two plays like the one they got to convert. You take that penalty in the 2nd quarter in the same position, why not there? The goal is to get the ball back and we didn’t play the odds. We had timeouts. At worst they punt with 1:35 on the clock if they don’t get 22 yards over two downs.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
There was absolutely no guarantee to get the ball back if they accepted it. They could have easily gotten 10 to 15 yards on the 2nd down play and then it would have been back to the same or worst 3rd down try with more time off the clock
You either give them to chances to get 10-15 (or one 25 play conversion, but if we discount that…) each or one chance to gain 10.

If they get ten on second they have to do it again. If they get ten on third and ten once they win.

slugboy

Staff member
I thought Syracuse would have success passing the ball, but not as much as they did. Part of that is that I thought we’d be more successful on offense. Time of possession is usually an edge for us, but it wasn’t today.

IMG_0334.png

Our offensive and defensive coaches have a lot to learn from today. We only ran for 112 yards. More importantly, we just didn’t keep pace, especially in the first half. There are a bunch of reasons this game was lost. Three and outs will kill your options

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty good article from SI below if you like obituaries.

Just a layman's opinion but Syracuse had tall receivers who compliment their excellent pocket passing quarterback. Our defensive backs seem to be too slow closing on the receivers.

We were only rushing with 3 linemen much of the time and still could not cover in the back of the defense. Their quarterback had all day to find a receiver.

Our receivers are fast but lack height. King seemed to be able to connect with Boyd when it was too late.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We were badly outplayed. It would have been a fluke if we had won, but I would have taken it. There are about 14-15 teams in the ACC that are roughly equal and we are one of them. At least now, we will not have folks worrying themselves about the 12 team playoff. If we win 6 games against this schedule, I will be very happy.
That’s a horrible goal. We have every right to want to win this conference - especially if we are as good as 15 of the teams in it!

Should the sky be falling? No. But can we ge through with two losses and make the ACCCG with a tiebreaker? Of course we can!

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
The defense wasn’t good obviously but give some credit to a really good Syracuse QB and they seemed very well prepared by their coaches. We could have helped the defense by sustaining some more drives but we failed to execute running the ball and couldn’t stay on the field in some critical situations. Haynes King making a couple of gutsy runs make our ypc look decent but the run game was shockingly absent today. We ran the ball well last year and I believe we’ll get back to running the ball well this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m 100% on board with taking the penalty. Make them earn a 2nd and 22. They would have had to have two plays like the one they got to convert. You take that penalty in the 2nd quarter in the same position, why not there? The goal is to get the ball back and we didn’t play the odds. We had timeouts. At worst they punt with 1:35 on the clock if they don’t get 22 yards over two downs.
I am on record with agreeing with coach Key’s decision but I will be interested to see what he says about it in the post presser.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
As disappointed as I am.
We might look back in a couple of weeks and realize how good Syracuse really is.

I believe that they have an elite QB and a better roster than most people realize.

I said this in the group chat, but we say this every year after an early loss where our defense looks terrible. I’m not falling for that again. Regardless of how good or bad Syracuse is, we looked awful today and the team looked closer to the team against GSU than against FSU which makes me fear this is closer to who we actually are.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
That’s a horrible goal. We have every right to want to win this conference - especially if we are as good as 15 of the teams in it!

Should the sky be falling? No. But can we ge through with two losses and make the ACCCG with a tiebreaker? Of course we can!
"Our fans don't have to worry about the 12 team playoff" is genuinely an astounding take.

We're not gonna be favorites @Louisville either way but we'd be playing to become 3-0 and become the odds on favorite to make the ACCCG. Why in the world are we settling for some bowl game against a G5 directional school and ending up in a conference with Memphis, USF, Boston College, Tulane, and Rice 3 years from now?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Went from winning the ACC to winning six over the course of three weeks. Never change tech fans.

Got outplayed and outcoached today. Gotta get right against VMI and play with the same urgency we did at the end of this game. Play every down like it was that last series and we may be pretty good.