Syracuse Post Game

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
515 yards vs 378. time of posession 37 minutes to 23 minutes. Score was closer than the game. Linebackers are ok supporting the run but really struggle in pass coverage. CBs were also very loose on coverage

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We still look tired. As I keep saying, I hope we get a break for these players soon.

For this option offense to work, we have to control the temp of the game. We couldn’t today.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Not taking the penalty on the last drive and settling for a FG on the last drive of the first half are two awful coaching decisions by Brent Key that potentially cost us in a 3-point game.

Boyd could be a star and the guys didn’t quit. Special Teams made a lot of plays. I suppose the last 6 minutes or so gave us something to hang our hat on. Hopefully that’s a sign of improvement and not fool’s gold.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
King looked pissed. I hope this galvanizes him to make the offense look more like the last drive and be less complacent when the run up the gut isn’t getting 5+.

The offense last year was more flexible than it was most of today, I think Key went overboard on thinking running on FSU meant they could play easy mode.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The gap between our team and true top 15 teams is large, its going to take years. Yes king is good. Yes jamal is solid. Yes we have talent at wr. The rest is not top tier or even that next level tier. obviously stating we aspire to be a top 15-20 program as a standard. But this is simply a middle acc middle ncaa team. Thats all.

Alot Of recruiting to do.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a question. I know it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game at all, but isn't spiking the ball still a penalty??

And missing the field goal before half was a killer too.
Spiking the ball is absolutely a penalty but the refs were horrendous this game. It wasn't clearly one sided like last week but they were just plain terrible!

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Why didn't we accept the penalty and back them up to make them earn that first down? Even if we have to burn 2 timeouts we at least get the ball back with one timeouts and decent time for a field goal. Seemed like a stupid decision to decline the penalty when we were making McCord look like Tom Brady in my opinion.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Kicking it deep was the right call not covering the tight end was the wrong call.
Idk, coverage was pretty tight on him. The TE just absolutely manhandled the press attempt which gave McCord the window to throw the ball into. Recovery was good, just a better throw. Missed opportunity to catch a pick on the screen on first down. Then Burrell had a silver-platter pick thrown right to him on the curl, except his back was turned to the ball (no shocker there, DJ White was the last GT cornerback that played the ball, not the receiver and look at how many picks he had). Then, we get gifted a 15 yard penalty which almost assures us getting the ball back, which we politely declined to save a timeout and give up the most predictable pass play they have in the playbook. IIWII, but we most definitely had our chances and that’s not even bringing up the missed FG at the end of the half which would have ended up making a tied game after our miraculous 14 point run with less than 5 minutes left in the game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
D is who I feared they were. Need a few unblockable guys in front 7. McCord is NFL quality.

O line couldn’t pass block this week. Other than some King runs, rushing was anemic. It is what it is.

Go Jackets!
I think we faced the best quarterback we will see all season. Not saying there aren’t others who are very good; this is just the best one.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The gap between our team and true top 15 teams is large, its going to take years. Yes king is good. Yes jamal is solid. Yes we have talent at wr. The rest is not top tier or even that next level tier. obviously stating we aspire to be a top 15-20 program as a standard. But this is simply a middle acc middle ncaa team. Thats all.

Alot Of recruiting to do.
Thankfully we've got a good start on the recruiting. Love the DBs, OL, and DL that we have coming in next year.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Making them think about throwing the ball on second and twenty five opens up possibility of incomplete and stoppage of clock.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No accepting the chop block was the wrong call... We accept we burn two TO but no way they throw the ball guaranteed we get the ball back
Maybe the coaches were in shock that the other team was called for a chop block having flashbacks to when Coach Johnson's teams were routinely hit with that penalty about every other game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The other teams have a plan to prevent big runs and to let us throw short sideline passes.

When we cant run the ball ,who is to blame.?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I'm upset as I am after any loss, no more no less. The sky isn't falling.

It comes down to execution, and that's on the players. I think Nick Saban called it "rat poison", and our players took a bite out of it. Now, ultimately I believe it is a good thing. Makes us hungrier. Gives us experience on how not to take a win for granted. We're gonna be fine.

I also believe it was a "game film" game. The orange had 2 game films on us, and we only had 1. G St also had that advantage, but we were bigger than them and wore them down. Today we ran up against a similar team to us with a small advantage.

See yall in a week in the Dodd when we will be 3-1 as I head back home on 75S.
THWg!