Syracuse Post Game

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Though not football. Bill Buckner received death threats after he missed a ground ball in the 1986 World Series. I guess all of his death threats came from people who played 1st base in the major leagues..
Point taken. Any old dumba$$ can have an idiotic, completely over the top opinion about the outcome of a single play within a sporting contest. Got it.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Point taken. Any old dumba$$ can have an idiotic, completely over the top opinion about the outcome of a single play within a sporting contest. Got it.
I mean honestly what do you expect fans are going to talk about after a loss? Our shoe color? Seems like if you hate fans complaining about a loss you shouldn’t be a sports fan in the first place.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mean honestly what do you expect fans are going to talk about after a loss? Our shoe color? Seems like if you hate fans complaining about a loss you shouldn’t be a sports fan in the first place.
None of us are happy about the outcome yesterday, but over the top negativism is simply pointless. We have fonts (who appear after losses) whose posts show absolutely no football (or basketball) knowledge. I was disappointed in the way we played yesterday. You can't have your best day everyday. And McCord is a good QB who treated us the way Matt Ryan did when he was at BC. If he continues to play like he did yesterday, it will happen to others as well.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yes. Regardless if they hit a 15 yard play you are in the same situation you were in if you didn’t take the penalty. Taking the penalty also changes Syracuse philosophy. They might have try to hit one chunk play on 2nd and 22 and what if it was incomplete? If the defense wasn’t going to hold up on 2nd and 22 I sure as hell don’t have faith in them stopping a 3rd and 10
Exactly. 100% correct reasoning.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
None of us are happy about the outcome yesterday, but over the top negativism is simply pointless. We have fonts (who appear after losses) whose posts show absolutely no football (or basketball) knowledge. I was disappointed in the way we played yesterday. You can't have your best day everyday. And McCord is a good QB who treated us the way Matt Ryan did when he was at BC. If he continues to play like he did yesterday, it will happen to others as well.

I’m fine with where the program is headed and I would say 99.9% of posters are overall happy with the trajectory In year two. It doesn’t mean we can’t question play calls or decision making during a particular game. Hell even if we won that game we would still be here complaining about the lack of run game and defensive miscues

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

I don’t think fans mind other fans be critical within reason. It’s over the top, know-it-alls making bombastic, hyperbolic judgements that people don’t like.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Syracuse would have success passing the ball, but not as much as they did. Part of that is that I thought we’d be more successful on offense. Time of possession is usually an edge for us, but it wasn’t today.

View attachment 16813

Our offensive and defensive coaches have a lot to learn from today. We only ran for 112 yards. More importantly, we just didn’t keep pace, especially in the first half. There are a bunch of reasons this game was lost. Three and outs will kill your options
And a good chunk of that was Haynes King.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Although frustrating to watch, I was expecting our defense to surrender points and yards yesterday. They made mistakes, but I was not overly shocked by Syracuse scoring 31. Our defense also got a couple of stops in the second half to help us to get back in the game. despite having been on the field a lot.

What did surprise me was how much our offense seemed “off”. How did Syracuse shut down our run game, and yet we couldn’t make them pay through the air with any consistency?
I suppose the all-22 film might reveal more, but were our receivers unable to get open? Were we that predictable? This is the most worrisome issue going forward as far as I’m concerned.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we all underestimated Cuse and overestimated GT. Maybe we aren't quite ready for the CFP.
This is what hurts. Many of us expected we had turned the corner where we win the games we “should” win. This is one of those games - we are just not at the point where we can expect to beat every non-ranked opponent.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing how one Saturday just suddenly projects our entire season

“We’re just a 6 win team!!!”

Are watching what’s going on with our opponents?

Hella overreaction on decline penalty as well.
Nc. State was obliterated. Their boards are probably locked down lol 😂

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is what hurts. Many of us expected we had turned the corner where we win the games we “should” win. This is one of those games - we are just not at the point where we can expect to beat every non-ranked opponent.
We left SOOO many opportunities on the field yesterday.
It’s not as if we were outclassed. O was sluggish, which was surprising.

By the way on the two big plays everyone is over analyzing…

The 2nd down play where the chop block was committed; the ball nearly hit Burrell in the back of the head. He had a good game overall, so no knocking him, but if he finds that football, it’s a pick 6 and all that follows is irrelevant.

On the 3rd down completion immediately following that, we had a DE in McCords face and the DT (I think) had his arms around McCords waist. Our DB was draped on the receiver too… ball was perfect and catch was not easy. Cuse made a clutch play

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yea, if we get a stop that 3rd down it was a good decision. If we take the penalty and they run more clock and still get the 1st down it was a bad decision. For fans, results often determine their view on a good or bad decision. That was a toss up decision. I would have taken the penalty but it was not that significant a decision.
Than you. The decision to not to take the penalty is receiving way more heat and thunder than is commensurate with the situation. As you have pointed, it wasn’t that decision that lost us the game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Than you. The decision to not to take the penalty is receiving way more heat and thunder than is commensurate with the situation. As you have pointed, it wasn’t that decision that lost us the game.
The thing a lot of people are missing is that if we don't get the stop on third and ten, we still have three times out which are enough to get the ball back with time remaining to do something with it if we can just stop them from getting another first down. Two times out wouldn't be sufficient. I can see it either way, but that fact had to weigh heavily in Key's decision. For that reason, he made the right choice although it didn't work out. They made another first down and that was that.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing how one Saturday just suddenly projects our entire season

“We’re just a 6 win team!!!”

Are watching what’s going on with our opponents?

Hella overreaction on decline penalty as well.
1725809835390.png