Supersize, Gold1, This is for you. Gold Jerseys.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can we get a poll on the blue pants to put this to bed (wishful thinking I know) at least for a little while?

How much do you like the blue pants?
1. Love them
2. Like them
3. Don't care either way
4. Don't like them
5. Hate them

I didn't want to start a thread unless others wanted to. That way we at least have some GTswarm stats other than "my friends hate them" / "my friends like them"

I actually don't like the blue pants much either. However, I hoped we still wore them just to piss of the folks here who get all whiny about them.
uv5VX0g.mp4

Considering you say you don't like them that's a pretty silly reason to post.

"Silly reason to post"?

Like a 2yr smear campaign against something that's (a) not a big deal and (b) not gonna change.

;)
I think it is a big deal, and if enough others express the same opinion, it will change. I would never hold as a good example up the turkey from Hilton Head who lambasted a kid for wearing blue to a game, but he's a wealthy alum, and money talks.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it is a big deal, and if enough others express the same opinion, it will change. I would never hold as a good example up the turkey from Hilton Head who lambasted a kid for wearing blue to a game, but he's a wealthy alum, and money talks.

Any big donor who would purposely hurt our program(s) because we wear navy needs to (a) get over herself and (b) do some history on what color(s) we've worn over the last 4-5 decades.

It's not a big deal. It's actually not even a small deal.

Any big donor who would purposely hurt our program(s) because we wear navy needs to (a) get over herself and (b) do some history on what color(s) we've worn over the last 4-5 decades.

It's not a big deal. It's actually not even a small deal.
4 -5 decades??? That would mean from 1969 till now. I have been attending Tech football games since 1962, and I never saw any sign of navy blue until the mid to late 80s, when the NCAA decreed that home teams had to wear dark jerseys. Why blue was chosen over black, especially in light of the black watch teams as well as the previous use of black trim, I have no idea, but until last year we only saw blue jerseys, never blue pants or all blue uniforms (at least on the football team). Between the time when the NCAA rescinded that stupid rule (early 90s, I think) and 2018, I can probably count on one hand the number of times a Tech football team has worn blue.....until last year. As far as big donors "hurting" our programs, I don't think bringing pressure through money is "hurting" anything. All big donors do things everywhere to support a cause.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Can we get a poll on the blue pants to put this to bed (wishful thinking I know) at least for a little while?

How much do you like the blue pants?
1. Love them
2. Like them
3. Don't care either way
4. Don't like them
5. Hate them

I didn't want to start a thread unless others wanted to. That way we at least have some GTswarm stats other than "my friends hate them" / "my friends like them"

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
4 -5 decades??? That would mean from 1969 till now. I have been attending Tech football games since 1962, and I never saw any sign of navy blue until the mid to late 80s, when the NCAA decreed that home teams had to wear dark jerseys. Why blue was chosen over black, especially in light of the black watch teams as well as the previous use of black trim, I have no idea, but until last year we only saw blue jerseys, never blue pants or all blue uniforms (at least on the football team). Between the time when the NCAA rescinded that stupid rule (early 90s, I think) and 2018, I can probably count on one hand the number of times a Tech football team has worn blue.....until last year. As far as big donors "hurting" our programs, I don't think bringing pressure through money is "hurting" anything. All big donors do things everywhere to support a cause.

Were the 1890s before 1962?

Asking because this article says that's when blue became an official school color and used in a class ring.

https://www.news.gatech.edu/2018/04/23/georgia-tech-athletics-unveils-comprehensive-brand-refinement

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Were the 1890s before 1962?

Asking because this article says that's when blue became an official school color and used in a class ring.

https://www.news.gatech.edu/2018/04/23/georgia-tech-athletics-unveils-comprehensive-brand-refinement
There is a BIG difference between class colors and school colors. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the different classes has different colors, mascots, mottoes, etc. That was not just the case at Tech, but all over the western world. I have seen a copy of that original article, and it clearly said CLASS color, not school color. And the article you provided a link to says that pretty clearly too, although it concludes from that that blue was a school color. My class ring from 1966 also includes a blue stone, because it was the popular available choice, but we never saw blue on the field of play.

He'll make the same argument he always makes which is "it was a class color and bot a school color". I don't think there's much of a difference between the two, but he does.
I have no idea what the colors used by other classes were, but they could have been red for all we know, but that would decidedly not have been a school color.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is a BIG difference between class colors and school colors. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, the different classes has different colors, mascots, mottoes, etc. That was not just the case at Tech, but all over the western world. I have seen a copy of that original article, and it clearly said CLASS color, not school color. And the article you provided a link to says that pretty clearly too, although it concludes from that that blue was a school color. My class ring from 1966 also includes a blue stone, because it was the popular available choice, but we never saw blue on the field of play.

Ok, you're right it says class color.
Traditions start all the time in places you may not expect.

Use of navy blue, now the official secondary color, is rooted in the use of it as a class color.

I guess you only respect the part of GT's history that perpetuates your narrative.

That's cool though.

Ok, you're right it says class color.
Traditions start all the time in places you may not expect.

Use of navy blue, now the official secondary color, is rooted in the use of it as a class color.

I guess you only respect the part of GT's history that perpetuates your narrative.

That's cool though.
So why did it take 124 years before it was named an official secondary color? Sounds like you are the one trying to rewrite history to support your conclusion. Otherwise, blue would have been the official secondary color all along.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I can honestly say I don't know of any other than you and Supersize that don't like them and whatever other few chime in on here. Everybody I personally know or have talked to love them.

C’mon. You know there are great fans that may like them and great fans that may not like them.

The reason I don’t like them is because I think they look stupid, they make our players look like fat butts, and I don’t see that they are anyway inspirational, unique, or look sharp in anyway.

I don’t care if they are Blue or Black.

With a good design team we could accomplish much more with Gold / White Hats, Gold / White / Blue (or Black) Shirts, And Gold / White pant options.

I think the pants that are darker than the rest of the uni look like nonP5 teams screaming “look at me because we have nothing else”.

JMO.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

The reason Blue was eventually chosen over Black was because we needed to unify our third color between what Cremins and curry were using.

Cremins beat the living hell out of anything curry was babbling or doing.

I am ok with either as long as it is consistent for all our teams.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So why did it take 124 years before it was named an official secondary color? Sounds like you are the one trying to rewrite history to support your conclusion. Otherwise, blue would have been the official secondary color all along.

Wait. Where's your proof it wasn't an official school color before now?

We only know it is now. We DON'T know it wasn't already a school color.