Summer Workouts

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
According to one of the parents, the strength staff and Sisk were doing exactly what they were instructed to do.

I think, if we needed to, we could dig up some of the posts. Having the linemen be more lean seems like it was one of the goals.

What does that have to do with guys like cottrell or embarrassingly searcy. Or our S or lb. etc.?? I hear u on ol. But that doesn’t explain anyone else

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know this is the conventional view, but the 6'2" (290, btw) OL I listed above is Clemson's starting left tackle.

So it depends on the athlete and I think putting a set of preconceived rules in place about height and size is a mistake. But they aren't paying me for that opinion so I guess we'll go with what we get. A return to conventional thinking does not reassure me, however. We'll see.

Why do tech fans love to point out the exceptions not the rules. Yeah. I get it. In spots u may have a exceptional ol that can fit outside the mold. But generally what i said is 100 percent true on a typical basis. Not 100 percent true on an absolute basis.

Moving on....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well think about the DL. We were always woefully undersized and usually offered little to no pass rush. Being “quicker” there made no sense when you’re playing Clemson/uga/etc quality lineman every year.
"Well think about the DL. We were often woefully undersized …" FIFY.

The last two years under Paul have apparently effected people's memories. Gotsis graduated in 2015. We had a decent pass rush with several of Paul's teams, but it was inconsistent. This was the well-documented "good DTs don't want to come to Tech" problem. And when we got one, he suffered an untimely death.

"Being “quicker” there made no sense when you’re playing Clemson/uga/etc quality lineman every year." Jeremiah Attaochu says hello. Too bad we could recruit/keep more like him. Being quick at rush end makes up for lack of size indside.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
If your quicker than the muscled up fella, size don't matter. Not saying your completely wrong in the overall assessment, but just wanted to point out a falsity in your claim.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
"Well think about the DL. We were often woefully undersized …" FIFY.

The last two years under Paul have apparently effected people's memories. Gotsis graduated in 2015. We had a decent pass rush with several of Paul's teams, but it was inconsistent. This was the well-documented "good DTs don't want to come to Tech" problem. And when we got one, he suffered an untimely death.

"Being “quicker” there made no sense when you’re playing Clemson/uga/etc quality lineman every year." Jeremiah Attaochu says hello. Too bad we could recruit/keep more like him. Being quick at rush end makes up for lack of size indside.

You named 2 guys out of 11 years. Nothing wrong with my memory.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
let’s go with this philosophical discussion then. What is the purpose of the training the way Sisk does it? What is the purpose in comparison to what we are doing now and how does it fit Paul’s scheme? Would we have been more successful if we did this conditioning under Paul?
Let's look totally and completely in a forward direction.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Part of me knows the ripped muscle game with the before after photos. But the other part of me wonders wtf we were doing under the old strength staff. Because some of these are obvious gains from a standpoint of quality of physique. And thats only in 6-7 months. So something gives
I always thought Sisk was highly regarded in the S&C industry?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Actually Gotsis was a good example of being forced to play out of his natural DE position due to lack of quality inside linemen. I think also that elite DT is the scarcest position across the country.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that the " ATL" has the voluntary work out periods being well attended.

Sisk was there.

Imo, this past year the program was not hitting on all cylinders.

Attachments

• 7400.jpeg
    7400.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 94

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

No idea. Just looking at simple evidence and logic here. Its clear physiques are greatly improved at many many positions.... i am not saying this will translate to the field. For one i know talent trumps alot of weight room work. But, it cant hurt. Only help. And just think at least now we are maximizing what we do have

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No idea. Just looking at simple evidence and logic here. Its clear physiques are greatly improved at many many positions.... i am not saying this will translate to the field. For one i know talent trumps alot of weight room work. But, it cant hurt. Only help. And just think at least now we are maximizing what we do have
Not sure if body building physiques translate to football skills or not. I know in baseball, being too bulky can actually hurt productivity.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Not sure if body building physiques translate to football skills or not. I know in baseball, being too bulky can actually hurt productivity.

Not sure about the body building physique, but the change in amount of guys at 20+ reps @ 225 is significant. There is a reason this is the main strength test done at the combine, particularly important for OL, DL and LBs. The fact that we had SEVEN guys only at this level when Lew arrived is shockingly bad and eye opening

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about the body building physique, but the change in amount of guys at 20+ reps @ 225 is significant. There is a reason this is the main strength test done at the combine, particularly important for OL, DL and LBs. The fact that we had SEVEN guys only at this level when Lew arrived is shockingly bad and eye opening

I'm not an expert but is this something that can change normally between offseason and workouts? Does only 7 guys in winter/spring 2019 mean only 7 guys in August 2018? How many guys did 18 or 19 reps initially?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
From Pro Day:

225-pound bench press
Bryan – 31 (would have ranked fifth among offensive linemen at 2019 NFL Combine)
Mallard – 30
Saint-Amour – 26
Cerge-Henderson – 25

One of the biggest gripes about CPJ S&C program is the big guys probably ran too much causing them sustain weight.

Sisk was big on Kettlebells and body resistance type regimen. Type of training focus on functional strength than pure brute strength

From the AJC article
Sisk, 42, takes an approach that adjusts training by position, individual and class. A quarterback should have a different workout than a linebacker. A fifth-year senior should train differently than a freshman. A veteran team may need different challenges than a young one. Further, Sisk said he's not one to "chase numbers," having players achieve measurable strength gains for their own sake.....

Sisk places an emphasis on developing attributes such as grip strength, flexibility and explosion off one and two feet. Conditioning is paramount. In July, as the start of preseason practice nears, he will shift the focus to conditioning and intends to move workouts to the afternoon and evening to train in the summer heat. To Sisk, a better conditioned player will practice better and, as a result, play better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
296 lbs 14% body fat going into Soph year before being put in the "Sewak fat man program" ... Sisk is a Great S&C Coach. His hands were tied. Happy the guys are buying in and getting gains!
Thanks for posting that, I thought Sisk was a good S&C guy. A lot of blame gets thrown around here by guys who really don’t know what they’re talking about. When things aren’t going well, they’l find a scapegoat and it’s usually the coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
296 lbs 14% body fat going into Soph year before being put in the "Sewak fat man program" ... Sisk is a Great S&C Coach. His hands were tied. Happy the guys are buying in and getting gains!

Sounds Like the strength coach wasn’t the only assistant coach with his hands tied LOL

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

In football the conventional wisdom is physique is beneficial to explosion positions. DE, RB, LB, S

Cb physique is more about movement etc and less about raw muscle etc

Qb don’t matter
Te and ol need strength and skills but you will find pure physique not really a player there similar to DT.

Although TE and Wr are two where it can go either way imo. Wr specifically need to be strong and fit but being a muscle warrior is probably not a good idea