Summer Workouts

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe it’s hype, but I’m seeing a lot that people like working for Collins, that he pushes them, but he gives them a lot of freedom and responsibility. It looks promising.

I’ve seen some of that in the Summer Workout posts. 20 year olds are listening to current music, getting pumped up, and it looks like they’re trying to be the best version of themselves that they can be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Actually Gotsis was a good example of being forced to play out of his natural DE position due to lack of quality inside linemen. I think also that elite DT is the scarcest position across the country.
1. Yet he was all ACC at DT. I don't know that there is such a thing as a natural position for DLs. Another example is Aaron Donald. Who would have pegged him as an AA and All Pro DT in his first year at Pitt?

2. You bet. It is very hard for any team to get one, at least on purpose. Then there's Warren Sapp. I keep hoping for one of those.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
1. Yet he was all ACC at DT. I don't know that there is such a thing as a natural position for DLs. Another example is Aaron Donald. Who would have pegged him as an AA and All Pro DT in his first year at Pitt?

2. You bet. It is very hard for any team to get one, at least on purpose. Then there's Warren Sapp. I keep hoping for one of those.

In this case, I remember comments from coaches that he was playing inside because he was the best player we had at DT even though he was a better DE. Certainly he was a versatile player, but I don't think there was any doubt that the staff wanted him at DE but didn't feel they had good enough options at DT to do that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In this case, I remember comments from coaches that he was playing inside because he was the best player we had at DT even though he was a better DE. Certainly he was a versatile player, but I don't think there was any doubt that the staff wanted him at DE but didn't feel they had good enough options at DT to do that.
I remember that as well, but this describes the common situation of most college teams. Too bad Truitt didn't come to Tech. That one commitment would have meant a world of difference.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember that as well, but this describes the common situation of most college teams. Too bad Truitt didn't come to Tech. That one commitment would have meant a world of difference.

Do you guys realize GT almost had a front 7 that included:

2011 DT Stephon Tuitt (Committed, but Momma Tuitt had other plans)
2011 DE/OLB Bud Dupree (1st round pick of Steelers. Went to Kentucky. GT was his first choice but Al Groh would not take his committment...Groh ended up getting fired in 2012).
2012 DE/DT Adam Gotsis.

That might have changed a LOT of things for our defense during their time in college. Remember the Tevin Washington years where our offense was pretty darn good but we couldn't stop anyone?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
That might have changed a LOT of things for our defense during their time in college. Remember the Tevin Washington years where our offense was pretty darn good but we couldn't stop anyone?

Tevin was way under-appreciated, but we did lack dynamicism under him. A defense that brought it definitely may have changed things considerably.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
Not to completely get off track...

Looks like they dedicated their workout to Brandon Adams today (and everyday). I'm proud to cheer on this team

Has anyone tried to replicate this workout? I’m assuming it’s go to failure and do as many sets needed to get to 90 reps?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
RE: Tuitt, I was told by his main GT recruiter that we could not get him in school. Either I was lied to or academic entrance was the problem.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Our 1# defensive back - Safety J Thomas says ( on cgc retweet) he has worked hard and is at 6% body fat 220#. Pretty much muscle.

Andy Mac who recruited him said Thomas would likely eventually play olb. I would love to have him closer to the dink and dunk plays where he could be physical. But on other hand i am sick of seeing the bigger wr out muscle our db.

Guy have worked hard.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not to completely get off track...

Looks like they dedicated their workout to Brandon Adams today (and everyday). I'm proud to cheer on this team

This is awesome that they did this!

Anyone know who the dude is in front of Tre to the right? And the dude behind him to the right? Both are on the right side of the picture and look big. Maybe the one in the back is Henderson? If so he’s definitely looking bigger. I think the guy in the front may be Howard?

slugboy

Staff member
Gotta like seeing Wells as a position leader ;)
More seriously—keep pushing, guys!

@StrengthGT: Congrats to the Position Champions of Week 7! Nothing Given, Everything Earned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our 1# defensive back - Safety J Thomas says ( on cgc retweet) he has worked hard and is at 6% body fat 220#. Pretty much muscle.

Andy Mac who recruited him said Thomas would likely eventually play olb. I would love to have him closer to the dink and dunk plays where he could be physical. But on other hand i am sick of seeing the bigger wr out muscle our db.

Guy have worked hard.

Agree about JT. The guy has the frame and athleticism to be an outstanding OLB. I've been saying that since he got to campus. With the way offenses are going these days, he can be such a valuable asset with his versatility. Maybe he ends up like Thomas Davis, a safety that becomes a pro LB. Something tells me if another safety can step up, JT becomes a LB. I'll go even further and say that Tariq Carpenter is more of a LB than JT is.

It's going to be interesting to see what the coaches do with these guys over the next couple of seasons. CGC likes to move guys around, and right now our LB corp can use the speed and athleticism of JT and Tariq.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Other than the high intensity workouts and social media presence, does it seem that CGC and staff have taken a page straight from Coach Dodds playbook? I'm speaking in terms of how he runs his team, keeps it fun and let's the guys be themselves?