Student section

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
this photo says it all (taken after kickoff against Duke)

8741743.png
Dayamm:banghead:

Seems like nothing has changed from when I was in school . For homecoming that is pretty bad looking .
The school needs to do some research on what the issue is. Is it interest in football, is it the time of the game , team performance etc

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Although he has probably already seen it, if he hasn't, then TStan needs to read the article at the top of this thread. Hopefully he can get some ideas from it. I know it will disrupt and probably anger a lot of long-time fans, but I think the entire student section should be moved to the lower west, behind our bench and make seating there on a first-come basis. Move those already in the lower west to the gold seats in the lower east.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Although he has probably already seen it, if he hasn't, then TStan needs to read the article at the top of this thread. Hopefully he can get some ideas from it. I know it will disrupt and probably anger a lot of long-time fans, but I think the entire student section should be moved to the lower west, behind our bench and make seating there on a first-come basis. Move those already in the lower west to the gold seats in the lower east.
Now you went and done it. Mess with the lower west ? Now I'm going to wear a navy blue shirt the rest of the year. :) put the students behind the visiting team is a better idea. Let them raise hell with the other team all game.

Now you went and done it. Mess with the lower west ? Now I'm going to wear a navy blue shirt the rest of the year. :) put the students behind the visiting team is a better idea. Let them raise hell with the other team all game.
The reason I said behind our bench instead of the opponent's bench is because of the fish and bottle throwing incidents of the 60s and 70s. Because of those incidents, I don't think the students will ever be allowed there again. Behind our bench makes perfect sense, in spite of the displaced long-time fans. The team would benefit from an excited student body behind then, cheering them on. That's what that article was all about, wasn't it? Doing something new and different to raise the excitement level. Historically, there is next to no excitement in the lower west stands. It's past time that we stirred the pot a little, don't you think?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The reason I said behind our bench instead of the opponent's bench is because of the fish and bottle throwing incidents of the 60s and 70s. Because of those incidents, I don't think the students will ever be allowed there again. Behind our bench makes perfect sense, in spite of the displaced long-time fans. The team would benefit from an excited student body behind then, cheering them on. That's what that article was all about, wasn't it? Doing something new and different to raise the excitement level. Historically, there is next to no excitement in the lower west stands. It's past time that we stirred the pot a little, don't you think?
Yes I will wear Navy blue to all games no Old gold for me :) . Plus you are going to piss off a lot of long time season ticket holders.

Yes I will wear Navy blue to all games no Old gold for me :) . Plus you are going to piss off a lot of long time season ticket holders.
They'll get over it. Read the original article about Texas. I'm sure a lot of their long-time season ticket holders were initially pissed off too, but look what's been accomplished by bucking the establishment.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Students sat there long after the fish and bottle incident. Lower east was the student section into the 90's. Hell we even had a flashcard section. The club seats were an abysmal idea in the lower east. Should have been in the south stands.
Also some of current students are paying for their tickets on top of their athletic fee. You think the school would give them a better block of seats if they want them to continue to be season ticket holders

This is a misnomer. The students who are studying would never go to a game regardless of the hype or the opponent or the coach or whatever. I went to Tech during the 2000s, and there wasn't this mass congregation of students studying on Saturday afternoons. Most were simply sleeping in, being lazy, playing video games, getting drunk again, etc.

Yep - sounds alot like the late 80s/early 90s when I was there. We always packed the East side though. The attendance these days is dismal, not that I blame students.

Students sat there long after the fish and bottle incident. Lower east was the student section into the 90's. Hell we even had a flashcard section. The club seats were an abysmal idea in the lower east. Should have been in the south stands.
Also some of current students are paying for their tickets on top of their athletic fee. You think the school would give them a better block of seats if they want them to continue to be season ticket holders
You are correct. They did not relocate the students until the new north stands and deck were built. But I bet there are plenty of people who would rather them not move back to the lower east because of those incidents. That being said, although I would frankly rather them be behind our bench, I would certainly not object to them moving back to the lower east either. IIRC ND students are on their team's side of the field, although not immediately behind them.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
this photo says it all (taken after kickoff against Duke)

8741743.png
That just made me throw up. Its weird but i don't know if its because during the Gailey years we had better start times but the stadium always seemed more full and louder

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. They did not relocate the students until the new north stands and deck were built. But I bet there are plenty of people who would rather them not move back to the lower east because of those incidents. That being said, although I would frankly rather them be behind our bench, I would certainly not object to them moving back to the lower east either. IIRC ND students are on their team's side of the field, although not immediately behind them.

A pic from the 2015 GT vs ND game. The wedge in the corner that is partially full in this picture (fills up by game time) is where the students sit...and the band, I think.

c1658b38a78959df27e4fc12fb26d85c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk