Student section

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Anyone remember the VT game maybe 2009 or 2010 when we upset them at home, carried the goal post to the President's lawn?
That's the kind of excitement that's missing. Its happened under CPJ but will it happen again ?
I mentioned the CPJ regime as a whole. Again, I don't care about offensive scheme. I care about wins/losses and creating an exciting brand of football. Johnson is dull, his program is dull, and the team is losing. That's what it boils down to.

I fail to see where I am being sensitive. You made assumptions and I corrected you. It's ok to be wrong every now and then.

I am not trying to make an argument that can be proven. I made an observation and someone responded back like a smart *** with an incorrect assumption based on what I said, and I responded in kind. No big deal.

Again, the students that dont' care about football have nothing to do with anything that I posted. I am specifically targeting the students that do care and choose to stay at home or stay at the frat houses to party. The student sections have filled up in the past when there was something to be excited about. That tells me that it can happen again but it will not happen while Johnson is the coach. It's actually pretty simple.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I mentioned the CPJ regime as a whole. Again, I don't care about offensive scheme. I care about wins/losses and creating an exciting brand of football. Johnson is dull, his program is dull, and the team is losing. That's what it boils down to.

I fail to see where I am being sensitive. You made assumptions and I corrected you. It's ok to be wrong every now and then.

I am not trying to make an argument that can be proven. I made an observation and someone responded back like a smart *** with an incorrect assumption based on what I said, and I responded in kind. No big deal.

Again, the students that dont' care about football have nothing to do with anything that I posted. I am specifically targeting the students that do care and choose to stay at home or stay at the frat houses to party. The student sections have filled up in the past when there was something to be excited about. That tells me that it can happen again but it will not happen while Johnson is the coach. It's actually pretty simple.

I can tell that I’d be better off talking to my foot than engaging with someone with your haughty attitude but I have as firm of a grasp of things as you do and quite possibly even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like you should have a done a better job at managing your time. There is plenty of time during the week to get this work done. I found my ME professors to be quite amenable if you are willing to have a conversation with them.

I’m in no way convinced that you went to Tech.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m in no way convinced that you went to Tech.

Seconded. And as much as my EE background makes me want to snob it up here, I can't in good conscience say it's an ME thing. They do plenty of work.

Also have no idea who these people who love football but get drunk instead of going to games are. Apparently because of... Um... something about Paul Johnson?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Seconded. And as much as my EE background makes me want to snob it up here, I can't in good conscience say it's an ME thing. They do plenty of work.

Also have no idea who these people who love football but get drunk instead of going to games are. Apparently because of... Um... something about Paul Johnson?

Hey, if you’re an EE you should snob it up. [emoji3]. Don’t EEs get into partial DiffEQs and worse? I don’t know if I would’ve made it through the EE program...CE was bad enough.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, if you’re an EE you should snob it up. [emoji3]. Don’t EEs get into partial DiffEQs and worse? I don’t know if I would’ve made it through the EE program...CE was bad enough.

Yeah. How much depends on your focus. I actually deal with diffEQ's in my job. True story.

EXCELLENT article. I particularly like the following ----

Del Conte and Martin have reconfigured the seating to give Texas students a contiguous bloc of seats with the Texas band blasting from the middle. They have made that student seating first-come, first-serve to get those students in the stadium and yelling. They have cut down on ads on the video boards and forbidden on-field, thanks-for-writing-that-big-check presentations if those presentations bring down the energy level in the stadium. The newcomers are trying to remind Texas fans that football games are supposed to be fun. And it just so happens that for the past two Saturdays, the team has given fans a reason to keep partying in the stands.

and this ---

Inside the stadium, the change in vibe begins in the student section. Texas controversially displaced some season-ticket holders to create a contiguous student section, but officials considered this a critical element. (Texas sought the advice of consultant Guido D’Elia, the man responsible for creating the gameday atmosphere at Penn State, which is home to one of the nation’s great student sections.)
Martin and Del Conte eliminated a lottery-based student ticketing system that gave students assigned seats in favor of a first-come, best-served approach. “It’s like the difference between having a flight on Southwest Airlines versus a flight on United,” Martin says, referencing the Lone Star State-based airline that famously does not assign seats. “If you’re flying Southwest, you’re going to get your butt to the airport early.”

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
EXCELLENT article. I particularly like the following ----

Del Conte and Martin have reconfigured the seating to give Texas students a contiguous bloc of seats with the Texas band blasting from the middle. They have made that student seating first-come, first-serve to get those students in the stadium and yelling. They have cut down on ads on the video boards and forbidden on-field, thanks-for-writing-that-big-check presentations if those presentations bring down the energy level in the stadium. The newcomers are trying to remind Texas fans that football games are supposed to be fun. And it just so happens that for the past two Saturdays, the team has given fans a reason to keep partying in the stands.

and this ---

Inside the stadium, the change in vibe begins in the student section. Texas controversially displaced some season-ticket holders to create a contiguous student section, but officials considered this a critical element. (Texas sought the advice of consultant Guido D’Elia, the man responsible for creating the gameday atmosphere at Penn State, which is home to one of the nation’s great student sections.)
Martin and Del Conte eliminated a lottery-based student ticketing system that gave students assigned seats in favor of a first-come, best-served approach. “It’s like the difference between having a flight on Southwest Airlines versus a flight on United,” Martin says, referencing the Lone Star State-based airline that famously does not assign seats. “If you’re flying Southwest, you’re going to get your butt to the airport early.”

This is great. Somebody get Guido on the phone.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Unpopular opinion, but I think the students get more excited about the mini 500 than the games.... how do we gets these kids to care about the football team? Somehow have a project to involve them with the program????

Have a swarm of Buzz-shaped drones lead the wreck onto the field, then have those same drones drop free swag to the crowd, including upper deck seats, during halftime performances. And, of course, free beer.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Have a swarm of Buzz-shaped drones lead the wreck onto the field, then have those same drones drop free swag to the crowd, including upper deck seats, during halftime performances. And, of course, free beer.

The most annoying thing at the games is when they ask who wants a free t-shirt and only gives it to the student section.... There were about 15 kids near me in 101 looking for a t-shirt. So dumb.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
You and I both know we aren't talking about that segment of the student population. We are talking about the students who tailgate at frat houses and stay at the frat houses (or dorms or bars or whatever) instead of going inside the stadium.

I never even mentioned the triple option. Don't be so sensitive. I couldn't care less that we run a spread option offense. I care that the program is dying.
lol this doesn't happen. Fraternity blocks make up the entirety of the south endzone and are far and out the most consistent in attendance. Half the Upper north east stands were empty at kickoff and that has nothing to do with how many students were tailgating.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
lol this doesn't happen. Fraternity blocks make up the entirety of the south endzone and are far and out the most consistent in attendance. Half the Upper north east stands were empty at kickoff and that has nothing to do with how many students were tailgating.
I TOTALLY disagree about the consistency of the fraternity sections. First, those blocks are in the lower north, west of the band, and they are seldom full. There was one game last year when I doubt there were 200 in that entire section, while the non-frat section on the other side of the band was full. Plus the fratties never get there till midway through the first quarter. Make all student seating be on a first-come basis, and they will not only get there early, they will fill it up.

PTCjacket

Banned

Actually, it does happen. Last season I had to leave a game early with my young kid (before halftime early), and the frat houses were alive and well with partyers that decided it was much more entertaining to stay at the house and drink than it was to be in the stadium. You can ignore it all you want, but it does happen.

I'm not blaming them either. I blame the blandness of the program. But again, if Stansbury is serious about improving the gameday atmosphere, it starts with packing the student sections. They tend to drive the direction of the atmosphere, and they are going to be the ones responsible for buying season tickets in years to come. As it stands, people that graduated with me in 2008 (well off graduates and big sports fans) have refused to buy tickets over the last few years, and they are not anomalies.

PTCjacket

Banned
I TOTALLY disagree about the consistency of the fraternity sections. There was one game last year when I doubt there were 200 in that entire section, while the non-frat section on the other side of the band was full. Plus the fratties never get there till midway through the first quarter.

this photo says it all (taken after kickoff against Duke)

8741743.png

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
/QUOTE]

That's surprising. My family & I got delayed badly and arrived in the 2nd quarter. Walking in from the northeast corner i nearly took a picture of the seemingly full stadium. Once we found our seats i realized the upper half of the upper North was empty but still it looked like a pretty good crowd...well after kickoff. Noon kickoffs man :sleep::dead:

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Seems like nothing has changed from when I was in school . For homecoming that is pretty bad looking .
The school needs to do some research on what the issue is. Is it interest in football, is it the time of the game , team performance etc

8741743.png

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk