Student section

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The students who like to point the finger back at the Alumni need to understand that student sections in general are typically more responsible for the atmosphere of the stadium than the rest of the crowd/older alumni. Every fanbase in every stadium that I've been to (maybe 10 or so) has usually been led in enthusiasm by the students. A weak student turnout or reaction typically leads to an overall stale atmosphere.

It all starts with the students, both for present day atmosphere and to ensure that the GT athletics program doesn't die off in the near future. Unfortunately, we are at a point where young alumni do not want to buy in on this CPJ regime, and that does not bode well for the future health of the program. This whole CPJ discussion goes far beyond whether his X's and O's are sound.

I would argue that many of them don’t buy into football and they couldn’t care less who the coach is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I would refute that argument. We've had full student sections many a time in recent years. Make the program exciting again and you'll fill those seats up and generate future season ticket holders.

For an odd game during a single season maybe. Not consistently. Or maybe you are confusing our student sections with those at away games.

Night games are far more likely to get a good turnout. We haven’t had many recently. Insert a new coach and there is little reason to believe this will change.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Easy band-aid reduce the student section to one side so at least the student section looks more full or.
Or reduce the price for tickets ?
Also noon games...again it always seemed that we attract more students when it's a mid afternoon or evening game . I know what's not as as easy to control

I just remember when I was a student , the policy was still lining up at the box office on Monday before the game to get tickets. So In not as familiar with the current policy .

Also maybe the school should actually look at how many students are studying instead of going to games. I always remember trying to squeeze in some studying early on game days, but if it's a noon game that makes it tough

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

PTCjacket

Banned
Students dislike the TO and CPJ so much that they’re going to the library instead? Okay.

You and I both know we aren't talking about that segment of the student population. We are talking about the students who tailgate at frat houses and stay at the frat houses (or dorms or bars or whatever) instead of going inside the stadium.

I never even mentioned the triple option. Don't be so sensitive. I couldn't care less that we run a spread option offense. I care that the program is dying.

Texas_Wreck53

Georgia Tech Fan
Easy band-aid reduce the student section to one side so at least the student section looks more full or.
Or reduce the price for tickets ?
Also noon games...again it always seemed that we attract more students when it's a mid afternoon or evening game . I know what's not as as easy to control

I just remember when I was a student , the policy was still lining up at the box office on Monday before the game to get tickets. So In not as familiar with the current policy .

Also maybe the school should actually look at how many students are studying instead of going to games. I always remember trying to squeeze in some studying early on game days, but if it's a noon game that makes it tough

The current policy or at least as of 2015 was the South Endzone was “free” and covered by your student athletic fee so you just had to register a ticket online. The north endzone was something like $100 for the season to sit with a group block. When watching the games it looks like neither side really fills up. If I had to guess I think a lot of students study instead of going to games, unless there was enough hype

PTCjacket

Banned
The current policy or at least as of 2015 was the South Endzone was “free” and covered by your student athletic fee so you just had to register a ticket online. The north endzone was something like $100 for the season to sit with a group block. When watching the games it looks like neither side really fills up. If I had to guess I think a lot of students study instead of going to games, unless there was enough hype

This is a misnomer. The students who are studying would never go to a game regardless of the hype or the opponent or the coach or whatever. I went to Tech during the 2000s, and there wasn't this mass congregation of students studying on Saturday afternoons. Most were simply sleeping in, being lazy, playing video games, getting drunk again, etc.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
And are students required to pay the athletic fee ? I can't remember

But regardless that should be enticing.
I just think as others have said, the percentage of students interested or actually care about football at Tech is not that big at least when you compare to other schools like UGA..

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You and I both know we aren't talking about that segment of the student population. We are talking about the students who tailgate at frat houses and stay at the frat houses (or dorms or bars or whatever) instead of going inside the stadium.

I never even mentioned the triple option. Don't be so sensitive. I couldn't care less that we run a spread option offense. I care that the program is dying.

You mentioned the CPJ regime which is the TO; you can’t separate the two. And yes, I was talking about the large group of students who likely don’t give a flip about football and put academics and many other things over watching football so YOU don’t be so sensitive.

It doesn’t really matter what either of us thinks anyway because neither of our arguments can be proven.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
This is a misnomer. The students who are studying would never go to a game regardless of the hype or the opponent or the coach or whatever. I went to Tech during the 2000s, and there wasn't this mass congregation of students studying on Saturday afternoons. Most were simply sleeping in, being lazy, playing video games, getting drunk again, etc.

I was also at Tech in the 2000s and I had to spend the weekends catching up on the piles of work that those sadistic professors gave us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And are students required to pay the athletic fee ? I can't remember

But regardless that should be enticing.
I just think as others have said, the percentage of students interested or actually care about football at Tech is not that big at least when you compare to other schools like UGA..

My understanding is that the student athletic fee covers game day tix.

Low student attendance is not limited to Tech. Other schools, except for big games, also have similar issues.

PTCjacket

Banned
You mentioned the CPJ regime which is the TO; you can’t separate the two. And yes, I was talking about the large group of students who likely don’t give a flip about football and put academics and many other things over watching football so YOU don’t be so sensitive.

It doesn’t really matter what either of us thinks anyway because neither of our arguments can be proven.

I mentioned the CPJ regime as a whole. Again, I don't care about offensive scheme. I care about wins/losses and creating an exciting brand of football. Johnson is dull, his program is dull, and the team is losing. That's what it boils down to.

I fail to see where I am being sensitive. You made assumptions and I corrected you. It's ok to be wrong every now and then.

I am not trying to make an argument that can be proven. I made an observation and someone responded back like a smart *** with an incorrect assumption based on what I said, and I responded in kind. No big deal.

Again, the students that dont' care about football have nothing to do with anything that I posted. I am specifically targeting the students that do care and choose to stay at home or stay at the frat houses to party. The student sections have filled up in the past when there was something to be excited about. That tells me that it can happen again but it will not happen while Johnson is the coach. It's actually pretty simple.

PTCjacket

Banned
I was also at Tech in the 2000s and I had to spend the weekends catching up on the piles of work that those sadistic professors gave us.

It sounds like you should have a done a better job at managing your time. There is plenty of time during the week to get this work done. I found my ME professors to be quite amenable if you are willing to have a conversation with them.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
When I went to school, kickoffs were every Saturday at (iirc) 1:00 sharp. My Chem Lab right next to Grant Field was from 9-12 on Saturday mornings. So, I remember hearing everyone tailgate outside while I was supposed to be working inside. Sucked.

But day games did not dent attendance or enthusiasm back then. We students sat in the lower east in those days, with rats on the first few rows and other students getting higher rows above us (this made the "Rats on the field" much easier to execute since we were in the rows at were in fact right on the field. But my recollection is that the stands were almost always full and there was A LOT of noise. Especially when we played Auburn or Tennessee or Georgia.

Students today seem far less interested in football, as far as I can see, and no, I have no idea how to get them fired up. I do agree that a vibrant student section is key to having a vibrant stadium atmosphere.