Student section

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
So your solution is to say "screw the tv contract"?

The same tv contract that provides us with a large percentage of our revenue? Please tell me you realize that Georgia Tech cannot simply say "tv be damned".

At this point, with total callus disregard for the fans who sacrifice time and money to support their team, I hate to say it but yes. TV be damned because it is ruining the sport . Playing football at noon in Atlanta in 90 plus degree weather is insane.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This makes so much sense. Put the students ALL of them in the lower east with the band right smack dab in the middle of them. First come first serve with tickets covered by the student fees for each home game. Play all of the early home games at night. TV be damned. Get the concessions and parking straightened out. It is beyond ridiculous that the athletic department cannot figure these things out.

The GTAA has to be the most inept sports management organization I've ever experienced. Only in the last few years did they put together a strategic plan, but holy cow ... what on earth do they spend their resources on? The goal has to be to a) put a product on the field that people want to pay for, b) a great game experience, and c) good fan relations. It has gotten better in the last year, but compared to other organizations ... it's neanderthal. I wish TStan would go visit the top 5 AA's in the country and do some benchmarking!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
At this point, with total callus disregard for the fans who sacrifice time and money to support their team, I hate to say it but yes. TV be damned because it is ruining the sport . Playing football at noon in Atlanta in 90 plus degree weather is insane.

I think the reality is if the TV revenue can replace the stadium revenue, most AA's (not just ours) won't care. They'll run a few extra concerts to rent the field out and they'll be good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That would be sad and embarrassing. I will never, ever, ever be in favor of dropping to the FCS.

These conversations are vaguely familiar. I recall when President Petit was considering dropping football ... and then Bill Curry and Homer Rice showed up. Sad that 36 years later ... we may have made a full circle.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
These conversations are vaguely familiar. I recall when President Petit was considering dropping football ... and then Bill Curry and Homer Rice showed up. Sad that 36 years later ... we may have made a full circle.
This is true Kim King and Taz and what was "ad hoc" Yellow Jacket Club got,together and wanted to fire Pettit. Pettit took it as a real threat and put Kim King on the athletic board. Problem today we have no one like this to do it again

PTCjacket

Banned

This is a worthless state of mind, because it literally (and legally) cannot happen. We have absolutely no way to say "TV be damned". The fact that you think we can tells me all I need to know.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This makes so much sense. Put the students ALL of them in the lower east with the band right smack dab in the middle of them. First come first serve with tickets covered by the student fees for each home game. Play all of the early home games at night. TV be damned. Get the concessions and parking straightened out. It is beyond ridiculous that the athletic department cannot figure these things out.

Man please. I don’t care how much you prefer later games. Not even Alabama can dictate their kick times. TV pays too much to walk away from that.

Your time would be better spent wishing for Tech to clone Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd to bring back the glory days.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I seriously doubt the AD would move the highest paying STH from midfield to the end zone. Do that and you lose every club member. I don't know the Tech Fund numbers for every section, but I would guess that those 4 club sections make up at least 40% of ticket revenue for football.
I should have said excluding the club section. There are plenty of seats on the east side that are not club seating that we should fill with students. We could wrap the students from about the 30 yard line into one of the end zones and turn the other endzone into premium seating.

PTCjacket

Banned
Man please. I don’t care how much you prefer later games. Not even Alabama can dictate their kick times. TV pays too much to walk away from that.

Your time would be better spent wishing for Tech to clone Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd to bring back the glory days.

It sounds like he wants to A) leave the ACC and become independent, B) have GT pay the $50 million or whatever penalty, and C) watch our program get flushed down the toilet because we'll have no money left from the moves in A and B, and if we are ever on TV again that money gained will go to the ACC due to the tv rights issue.

Of course, my knowledge of the grant of rights deal could be way off base, but I'm pretty sure the above would have to happen in order for us to say "tv be damned".

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This is true Kim King and Taz and what was "ad hoc" Yellow Jacket Club got,together and wanted to fire Pettit. Pettit took it as a real threat and put Kim King on the athletic board. Problem today we have no one like this to do it again

I knew things would get worse when Kim King died and Homer retired, but it's worse than I thought it would be. First Clough hires Dave Braine. Things have continued to go downhill. The Board-mostly appointed by Peterson--is a bunch of academics. The Board is the the genius group that approved Hewitt's contract. We need a Board dominated by alumni, like UGa has, and not dominated by academics.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is a worthless state of mind, because it literally (and legally) cannot happen. We have absolutely no way to say "TV be damned". The fact that you think we can tells me all I need to know.

Nah, we can't because we will go busted if we do not appease the almighty god of television. Still things would be a lot better if games could be scheduled for the benefit of the players and the home team fans. At the rate we are going we will have progressively fewer fans in the stands. I don't know what the solution is but the first step would be to get the students involved in making going to the game a priority in their college experience. It may be too late for a turnaround in the current Generation Z mentality but it would not hurt to try some innovations.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I love this thread...... "We need to spend more money on our football program!" "But screw TV. Let's play night games and forego TV revenue." "Oh. And let's piss all over the people who pay the most for their seats."

You can't make this stuff up

True dat. But it seems that every time we play a night game (on Saturday mind you) the atmosphere at BDS is electric especially if it is against Virginia Tech or Miami. Frenzied, exciting football games at night lend themselves to great TV and better recruiting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It sounds like he wants to A) leave the ACC and become independent, B) have GT pay the $50 million or whatever penalty, and C) watch our program get flushed down the toilet because we'll have no money left from the moves in A and B, and if we are ever on TV again that money gained will go to the ACC due to the tv rights issue.

Of course, my knowledge of the grant of rights deal could be way off base, but I'm pretty sure the above would have to happen in order for us to say "tv be damned".

Come on, give me a break here. This is just one fan's frustrations over the continued slow decline of our program. No I do not want to leave the ACC but the officiating for such a prestigious conference is remarkably wretched. I just think that televising a lower tier game with Alcorn State at the start of September should not be a noon start for the sake of both the players and the fans.