#StopCutBlockHate #CutBlocksAreBlocksToo

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
DLine holding our Oline as they release is becoming avant garde.

When we get called for an illegal block (which is pretty rare), more times than not the defender causes it by illegally holding our O lineman.

We should ban defensive holding to make the game safer...

#BanDefensiveHolding

/

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of stadiums play the "We will, we will Rock You" song. Can change Rock to Cut and make it part of our game day chants? Say like the Noles do after we make first down conversions?
How about every 1st down we say "cut, cut, cut." pointing at the defense every time we say it and then say "First down." and point in the direction we are going?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have never understood this as anything but sour grapes.

When I played back in the Dark Ages, OL blocking was cut blocking. The rules precluded the "push and dance" style of "blocking" you see today; if your hands left your jersey, it was holding. Consequently, you either cut blocked or you speared (led with your helmet, then brought up your forearms). Or, to put it simply, when I played football an OL was supposed to, you know, hit somebody.

One of the reasons I love our O is that it brings that back. Our OL and skill players hit people. None of this zone blocking by big, immobile, blubber balls: we hit. I can't tell you how much that increases my enjoyment of the game; I liked hitting people and I bet our team does too. What gets me is that the rest of football has gotten to the point where getting hit is a problem. It shouldn't be. It's part of the game.

For linemen, btw, it's the fun part.
Yes, I hear a lot of guys from that era couldn't play today. Meanwhile I'm thinking today's belly-bumpers and grabbers couldn't play back then.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
In the dark ages I was always told keep your feet under you and drive. Wasn't that different from tackling except could not wrap up and if hands left your body it was a hold. We seem to leave our feet too much today and end up on the ground with D guy jumping over potential blocker.

The size and athleticism today is bigger, faster, and more agile. Blocking the old way would be a lot tougher. Also rules have been made to help offense score more points IMHO. The game is pretty much in the referees hands because there are tons of holds that are not called. If you pull a guy down you will get called. Put a hand on side of each shoulder with open palms and control him does not seem to get called as a hold today.
I have never understood this as anything but sour grapes.

When I played back in the Dark Ages, OL blocking was cut blocking. The rules precluded the "push and dance" style of "blocking" you see today; if your hands left your jersey, it was holding. Consequently, you either cut blocked or you speared (led with your helmet, then brought up your forearms). Or, to put it simply, when I played football an OL was supposed to, you know, hit somebody.

One of the reasons I love our O is that it brings that back. Our OL and skill players hit people. None of this zone blocking by big, immobile, blubber balls: we hit. I can't tell you how much that increases my enjoyment of the game; I liked hitting people and I bet our team does too. What gets me is that the rest of football has gotten to the point where getting hit is a problem. It shouldn't be. It's part of the game.

For linemen, btw, it's the fun part.
FWIW, that's how GT signed parker braun. He played in a hitting system, transferred high schools and played in a grabbing system, and said "no thanks" and signed with GT

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I hear a lot of guys from that era couldn't play today. Meanwhile I'm thinking today's belly-bumpers and grabbers couldn't play back then.
AS witness see the 1965 and 1966 Bama v. Nebraska games. Bob Devaney's teams were every bit as big as the ones around today, albeit not in as good shape. Bama beat them like a drum in both games with an OL that averaged 215. Cecil Dowdy was an AA at OT at 6' 210 lbs.

Now, admittedly, if those Bama outfits had played the 1964 Nebraska team (Bob Brown at RG, starring) they would have been in a heap of trouble. I remember their QB Bob Churchich's TD run against Auburn in the Orange Bowl that year. A Tigger DB hit him solid about 5 yards past the LOS. Churchich simply clubbed him off with one hand and proceeded to trot into the end zone about 50 yards later. That team could have played and won big in any era.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My post on Volnation including the tweets:

GT's cuts blocks causes injuries and here are the facts... the injury rate on cut blocking is 121.25% more than non-cut blocking. 27 P5 athletes have knee injuries from 2014 to 2016 due to cut blocking. GT is responsible for 16 of those injuries. In fact, GT has injured 2 of their own defensive players in spring practice due to cut blocking. This data is being used to try and ban cut blocking. Butch should complain, like Stoops, to the referees before the game. #KneesMatter #StopTheKneeHate #WhinersArePeopleToo

The 'just gave me a stroke-attack' award goes to you, sir. You earned it.

(And that's combination stroke and heart attack.)

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
My post on Volnation including the tweets:

GT's cuts blocks causes injuries and here are the facts... the injury rate on cut blocking is 121.25% more than non-cut blocking. 27 P5 athletes have knee injuries from 2014 to 2016 due to cut blocking. GT is responsible for 16 of those injuries. In fact, GT has injured 2 of their own defensive players in spring practice due to cut blocking. This data is being used to try and ban cut blocking. Butch should complain, like Stoops, to the referees before the game. #KneesMatter #StopTheKneeHate #WhinersArePeopleToo

Beautiful

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I feel like I see more gt fans (even players) making light of the cut blocks and using it to talk trash to opposing fans instead of defensively trying to explain all the wrong stereotypes. This is a good sign to me. We got nothin to be defensive about. Maybe it was Stoops over the top whining that put things into perspective. It had been a while since we've seen that I think.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
AS witness see the 1965 and 1966 Bama v. Nebraska games. Bob Devaney's teams were every bit as big as the ones around today, albeit not in as good shape. Bama beat them like a drum in both games with an OL that averaged 215. Cecil Dowdy was an AA at OT at 6' 210 lbs.

Now, admittedly, if those Bama outfits had played the 1964 Nebraska team (Bob Brown at RG, starring) they would have been in a heap of trouble. I remember their QB Bob Churchich's TD run against Auburn in the Orange Bowl that year. A Tigger DB hit him solid about 5 yards past the LOS. Churchich simply clubbed him off with one hand and proceeded to trot into the end zone about 50 yards later. That team could have played and won big in any era.

You know of what you speak. Was at that Orange Bowl game. Dowdy had, shall we say, a mean streak!

As regards blocking technique - Fine lets outlaw cut blocking. BUT, outlaw the holding that OL are taught and allowed to get away with on every play today. They will have to block by grabbing their own jersies and block that way.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Good god the lack of informative conversation is embarrassing. Seems like its a hive mind mentality to call cut blocking dirty for people who don't want to take the time to understand/learn scheme. Anyone have an actual rough estimate for how many defenders we've played against who have been hurt by cut blocks?

I think there's literally been like 1 dude who got hurt directly by an illegal block. The problem is, if a guy pulls a hammy, the opposing fanbase goes ..."SEE, SEE CHOP BLOCK!!! OH THA HUMANITYYYY!!!"

Meanwhile, anyone watching sees it was just a pulled hammy.

Definitely in their heads.

It's definitely chopblock o'clock in Knoxville.

#BattleOfWoundedKnees
#Tenneknee

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To play devil's advocate....we are sounding a bit like we did prior Notre Dame '14. I don't care though....I'm feelings pretty pretty positive about this year. I'll be tempering that enthusiasm based on CPJ's post practice statements and demeanor.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
To play devil's advocate....we are sounding a bit like we did prior Notre Dame '14. I don't care though....I'm feelings pretty pretty positive about this year. I'll be tempering that enthusiasm based on CPJ's post practice statements and demeanor.

The bright side here is that Tennessee will be nowhere near as good as 15 Notre Dame. Period.