#StopCutBlockHate #CutBlocksAreBlocksToo

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My post on Volnation including the tweets:

GT's cuts blocks causes injuries and here are the facts... the injury rate on cut blocking is 121.25% more than non-cut blocking. 27 P5 athletes have knee injuries from 2014 to 2016 due to cut blocking. GT is responsible for 16 of those injuries. In fact, GT has injured 2 of their own defensive players in spring practice due to cut blocking. This data is being used to try and ban cut blocking. Butch should complain, like Stoops, to the referees before the game. #KneesMatter #StopTheKneeHate #WhinersArePeopleToo

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow

GT's cuts blocks causes injuries and here are the facts... the injury rate on cut blocking is 121.25% more than non-cut blocking. 27 P5 athletes have knee injuries from 2014 to 2016 due to cut blocking. GT is responsible for 16 of those injuries. In fact, GT has injured 2 of their own defensive players in spring practice due to cut blocking. This data is being used to try and ban cut blocking. Butch should complain, like Stoops, to the referees before the game. #KneesMatter #StopTheKneeHate #WhinersArePeopleToo

Wait, so is this data real or not?

(also great job on the tweets! Stoops was such a moron in that game.)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Someone wants an nbc cbs abc cnn espn rt pravda paycheck ...

cut.jpg
StopCutBlockHate #CutBlocksAreBlocksToo

That'd make a good tshirt lol.

https://teespring.com/triple-option_copy_175VGEC2PL6#pid=2&cid=2122&sid=front

Attachments

• Shade 6-1.jpg
    Shade 6-1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 18

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have never understood this as anything but sour grapes.

When I played back in the Dark Ages, OL blocking was cut blocking. The rules precluded the "push and dance" style of "blocking" you see today; if your hands left your jersey, it was holding. Consequently, you either cut blocked or you speared (led with your helmet, then brought up your forearms). Or, to put it simply, when I played football an OL was supposed to, you know, hit somebody.

One of the reasons I love our O is that it brings that back. Our OL and skill players hit people. None of this zone blocking by big, immobile, blubber balls: we hit. I can't tell you how much that increases my enjoyment of the game; I liked hitting people and I bet our team does too. What gets me is that the rest of football has gotten to the point where getting hit is a problem. It shouldn't be. It's part of the game.

For linemen, btw, it's the fun part.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I have never understood this as anything but sour grapes.

When I played back in the Dark Ages, OL blocking was cut blocking. The rules precluded the "push and dance" style of "blocking" you see today; if your hands left your jersey, it was holding. Consequently, you either cut blocked or you speared (led with your helmet, then brought up your forearms). Or, to put it simply, when I played football an OL was supposed to, you know, hit somebody.

One of the reasons I love our O is that it brings that back. Our OL and skill players hit people. None of this zone blocking by big, immobile, blubber balls: we hit. I can't tell you how much that increases my enjoyment of the game; I liked hitting people and I bet our team does too. What gets me is that the rest of football has gotten to the point where getting hit is a problem. It shouldn't be. It's part of the game.

For linemen, btw, it's the fun part.
In the dark ages I was always told keep your feet under you and drive. Wasn't that different from tackling except could not wrap up and if hands left your body it was a hold. We seem to leave our feet too much today and end up on the ground with D guy jumping over potential blocker.

The size and athleticism today is bigger, faster, and more agile. Blocking the old way would be a lot tougher. Also rules have been made to help offense score more points IMHO. The game is pretty much in the referees hands because there are tons of holds that are not called. If you pull a guy down you will get called. Put a hand on side of each shoulder with open palms and control him does not seem to get called as a hold today.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The size and athleticism today is bigger, faster, and more agile. Blocking the old way would be a lot tougher. Also rules have been made to help offense score more points IMHO. The game is pretty much in the referees hands because there are tons of holds that are not called. If you pull a guy down you will get called. Put a hand on side of each shoulder with open palms and control him does not seem to get called as a hold today.
I agree about the points scored angle. I think the colleges got worried by the way the pro game had gotten more offensive and was attracting more spectators. There's also the detrimental effects of spearing: too many concussions and neck injuries. I am in favor of that part of the new regime.

I think the size and athleticism argument cuts both ways, however. By blocking the way we do we actually neutralize a lot of the size differential, as others have pointed out. I think the physical advantages would cancel out, iow. I don't think we'll see changes in the rules to get rid of the flagrant holding we now see, however. OL blocking has gotten to be like Italian soccer; we actually teach OLs to disguise holds and to block in ways that skirt the rules. Like you, I feel for the refs.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
When the defender puts his hands down on the edge, it is just about game over. The cut blocks require a defender to take their eyes off of the back with the ball for just an instant which is time enough for our guys to get to the corner or speed up field. Properly executed, it is a thing of beauty. As for injuries, I am a skeptic. Is it tiring and extremely frustrating for corners and outside linebackers? Yep. It is just about impossible for defenders on the edge to maintain discipline and play their assignment over the course of a game because the blocking and constant movement just wears you out as a defender. Go back and look at the 2014 Miami game on how the cut block should be utilized. The announcers were very complimentary of the "team concept" where everyone has a role and played it especially the A backs. Huard talked about the "sacrificial nature" of the offense. When properly executed it is an enormous equalizer.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree about the points scored angle. I think the colleges got worried by the way the pro game had gotten more offensive and was attracting more spectators. There's also the detrimental effects of spearing: too many concussions and neck injuries. I am in favor of that part of the new regime.

I think the size and athleticism argument cuts both ways, however. By blocking the way we do we actually neutralize a lot of the size differential, as others have pointed out. I think the physical advantages would cancel out, iow. I don't think we'll see changes in the rules to get rid of the flagrant holding we now see, however. OL blocking has gotten to be like Italian soccer; we actually teach OLs to disguise holds and to block in ways that skirt the rules. Like you, I feel for the refs.

DLine holding our Oline as they release is becoming avant garde.