Steve Hummer is relentless

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure the honeymoon is over. All the good hype has gone down the drain with three ugly games. Throwing dollar bills, dancing, losing to the Citadel and yelling money down seems to have turned Tech fans off pretty quickly. It's time for Collins to get his house in order. Work on team discipline, name a starting quarterback, recruit and somehow, without being foolish, unite the fan base. IMO, a lot of damage was done yesterday and most of it is on the coaching staff due to poor preparations and decision making. Keep the players focused on the game in front them and stop the distractions.

Last edited:

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Did I hear right....that TO also did kick off return?
Yes but I disagree with Hummer on this one point. Desperate times call for desperate measures and TO’s return worked out in our favor. We just do not have the talent to compete well. Worse though is that the team did not seem prepared for what every returning player had seen in practice for years. Our worst fears are coming true and we need to realize PJ left us in a compromised spot talent wise. And this coaching staff needs to realize that overconfidence during this time of transition does no one any good except our opponents.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Reading these comments about the coaching, many of which I agree with, compels me to mention the players on the field. Today’s loss was a combination of a team lacking talent as well being poorly prepared.

I’m confident our talent will improve in time with Collins. Hopefully the game plan will as well.

Bear Bryant: “Talent doesn’t win games. Making fewer mistakes than your opponent does.”

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the honeymoon is over. All the good hype has gone down the drain with three ugly games. Throwing dollar bills, dancing, losing to the Citadel and yelling money down seems to have turned Tech fans off pretty quickly. It's time for Collins to get his house in order. Work on team discipline, name a starting quarterback, recruit and somehow, without being foolish, unite the fan base. IMO, a lot of damage was done yesterday and most of it is on the coaching staff due to poor preparations and decision making. Keep the players focused on the game in front them and stop the distractions.
A LOT less style and a LOT more substance, if you don't mind coach.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
You don't post enough on here. I always appreciated your sage posts on the old AJC blogs, and the few times you post here are always good too. Would also love to get together with you again, if only, like last time, for a few minutes.
I’ll come by the tailgate again this season. We have a couple kids now (and another in January), so just getting to the games is tough, though we’ve been at all of them.

I’ll come by the tailgate again this season. We have a couple kids now (and another in January), so just getting to the games is tough, though we’ve been at all of them.
We are in a different lot now, but probably closer to where you tailgate, or at least where you said you tailgated a few years ago. PM me before a game, and I will give you the details.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I would like to know what happened to the Rocket Toss. That's not just a staple of triple option football. Plenty of teams use it, but we haven't used it once so far.
Or the jet sweep/pop pass to A. Brown. Or a 5 yard curl to the big *** tight end boxing out like he is grabbing a rebound. Or the speed option out of the gun. Or a tunnel screen. The play calling is so unimaginative.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Or the jet sweep/pop pass to A. Brown. Or a 5 yard curl to the big *** tight end boxing out like he is grabbing a rebound. Or the speed option out of the gun. Or a tunnel screen. The play calling is so unimaginative.
I'm glad you brought up the tight end position. I thought the transfer guy was supposed to be pretty good. He's a big guy. Since the tight end production has been somewhat lame, move him over to our depleted offensive line.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
So much for Geoff Collins and Dave Patenaude being offensive visionaries:rolleyes:

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
What everyone here is missing about Collins is how he has changed the perception high school players see GT. You can downplay that all you want but it’s true. I’m not willing to give up on a guy 3 games in playing with a scrap heap Oline.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
What everyone here is missing about Collins is how he has changed the perception high school players see GT. You can downplay that all you want but it’s true. I’m not willing to give up on a guy 3 games in playing with a scrap heap Oline.
Geoff Collins will be in a tough spot and his honeymoon with the fans and the sports media will be over if GT finishes this season 1-11 which is very possible.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Collins will riff on how, in his system, there is no set player at any position. “We don’t talk like that,” he said postgame when asked about who’s Tech’s quarterback moving forward. “You notice out there today there were probably six safeties who played in the game. I don’t see people sitting here asking me who is going to be the starting safety moving forward. We don’t think in those terms.”

This kind of stuff infuriates me. Is this some kind of politically correct running of a team?! No starters, no direction, no leadership and then we wonder why we lose to the Citadel. He sounds like a flake.
Yeah, I was just wondering how well my company would operate if we ran things that way.

Animal02

Banned
Just what sort of perception will H.S. kids have of a program that loses to a FCS school like the Citadel. Just what sort of perception will they have if we finish 1-11 this year and 3-9 next.
H.S. kids will see through the Bullcrap being piled high and look elsewhere.