State of program

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I totally agree with that. That logic should apply to the entire staff tho not just the DC. The issue is when the OL breaks down we blame Sewek. When the d falls on its face we blame Roof. When we up long kick off returns we blame that coach. We never hold Paul accountable. Why? At the end of day he is responsible for the performance of the team. Is that not correct?
I agree I have actually on this site placed blame on CPJ more than once. My frustration is the play calling on D, it baffles me at times. The D ultimately lands on Roof when it comes to infield play and the same on O for CPJ. Difference is, most years our Offense isn't the issue. I do agree this ultimately falls on CPJ though, he needs to make changes or im ready for him to be gone and I really like CPJ and think he gives us the best chance to win with the system, he just needs to make changes imo.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Dukes offense did what our offense does to other teams. Long time controlling drives that made us sit on the sideline and forced us to press to stay in the game. I just don' understand how we line up 6-7 yards deep on a team that throws screens and sweeps all game long.

We've had decent special teams the past few seasons. We suck this year, but cpj coached some of the best special team players that have come through Tech. Jamal Golden, Ryan Rodwell, and Harrison Butker who was maybe out best kicker ever. Our current punter looks like he may be another star. He's also coached some really good offenses, some of the best we've even seen on the flats. We are having a down year on both units, but both units lost a lot of talent to graduation and some other stuff. New QB, new BBack, lost some senior depth at OLine. Defense was suppose to be our strength with a two deep full of Seniors and Juniors who have had tons of playing time, and a top notch defensive recruiting class coming in. Sometimes you need your defense to carry you and it really doesn't feel like they have pulled their weight at all this year. That first half the offense put up 20 and had a 2:1 TOP advantage, but the defense was letting Duke score in about 2 minutes so it didn't really matter.
It freaking does master, if your defense is having issues, then you better damn well make sure the offense can pick up the slack. 20 first half points and zilch the 2nd half. The defense has more than held their own this year.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think they had a drive over maybe 5 minutes. They were scoring like an air raid team with 2-4 minute drives.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This isn't a dig a TaQuan, but he just can't pass. He's a heck of a runner though. We really should open up the QB competition this spring. When he's on, he's on, but when he isn't he is just not very good. He reminds me of Rex Grossman in the NFL. It's tough to coach with that kind of inconsistency. And this isn't like his receivers aren't helping him out (which they really didn't do vs VT on a number of passes). He'll throw passes nowhere in the neighborhood of a GT jersey sometimes.

Spurrier always said that while at Florida, Grossman was his most talented quarterback, not the best mind you, the most talented. Marshall is possibly the best pure runner of all the quarterbacks Coach Johnson has had but is a long way from being the best.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
Never be a serious contender with CPJ and Roof at the helm.
Sure you will have 10-12 win seasons every 6-7 years.
But that’s it. Mediocre at best.

Both were out coached and made zero adjustments.
Sad.

So my final statement as to cheer me up me and my kids are decorating for Christmas and yes I put up a Georgia Tech Christmas tree. I have been a Tech fan all my life. Today hurts, sort of like when we went to Duke and coach CTR kicked our ***, for those of you that remember. We got Outplayed today on the road, which happens in the ACC. Just ask Clemson. CPJ is the coach for Tech. He has been the most successful in my 48 years of watching. We can all complain about recruiting etc, but we don't have PE, African Studies, or Coaching as a major. I will be flying this Wednesday to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and I will be cheering on my Jackets. And yes I still think we can beat Georgia. Want to chat, come by our tailgate in the Student Center and ask for where our tailgate master Pete is. Let's see what happens this year and next. We have a lot of talent coming back and coming in. And to finish as I head back down to complete my Tech Christmas tree, as some of you may know or not, I am the most devout fan as people question, since I am a 1984 UGA Grad.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
In
Interesting data. Thank you for sharing. Still a bit confused by how Duke is spending $6 million more than GT.

However I think the data is a bit suspect. This counts as “spending” the amount of tuition each year, which is much higher at Duke than GT. That is a somewhat notional expense, imho. Real spending would be on recruiting and coach’s salaries and facilities (the last not included in that study). Still not certain I believe Duke is outspending us by an appreciable real margin.

Jamar33

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t know why this board loves CPJ so much.
I understand his system and limitations for players but good grief.
If you can’t make adjustments in the second half game after game.

Somethings gotta give.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Colorado Jacket has it right and we should all appreciate a dwag fan who has come to the right side of the Force. Being a GT fan isn't easy now and never has been. Perspective seems to be in short order after a bad loss like this. We all want the Jackets to win and when the 18-22 year old young men don't, us old(er) farts lose a grip. Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. Today.....