State of program

If you don't like CPJ or the offense we run fine you don't have to like it. But to make things up to try and prove your point is not working. To say that CCC is teaching a player to miss reads run for you life and throw off your backfoot before falling backwards on the ground is not helping you prove your point. If you want to say we need to hire another coach to help fine but by now unless you have connections at Tech that is not going to happen. We are an option team the first priority of a QB coach in our offense is to teach and help him understand his reads. Do you think a QB coach who is at a team that runs a pro style offense first priority is to teach his QB how to run ?

And if you want to keep trying to help you make you point, pointing out we have lost to Duke 3 of 4 times. Then what does it mean that have we beat VT the last 2 years, or 2 out of the last 3 years we beat uga.

So you're OK with TM's throwing mechanics?

Really? Have you watched any other QB at a level of HS or above throw the football? Since you don't appear to have, let me tell you some basics. It's like throwing a baseball: Step into the throw and let your weight be moving forward, towards the target. Do not throw off your back foot and, for god's sake this shouldn't need to be said but don't just fall backwards onto the ground like a catfish. Even the most Wishboney of Option QBs knows this.

I think it had more to do with you spewing inaccurate information, yet thinking you are on top of the situation. GT has had several special teams coaches, Walkosky and Rychleski, off the top of my head. Also, CPJ is not the QB coach, you must have read that on CNN.

So you're OK with our STs? KO Return team looking good? PK making a ton of chip-shot FGs? Punt Return team not allowing big returns? Great angles being made towards opponent returners? Amazing tackling techniques most of the time?

You're all good with that - no coaching issues at all? Or are you gonna throw some more insults my way, since I have the guts to point it out and not worship the ground CPJ walks on?

If you don't like CPJ or the offense we run fine you don't have to like it. But to make things up to try and prove your point is not working. To say that CCC is teaching a player to miss reads run for you life and throw off your backfoot before falling backwards on the ground is not helping you prove your point. If you want to say we need to hire another coach to help fine but by now unless you have connections at Tech that is not going to happen. We are an option team the first priority of a QB coach in our offense is to teach and help him understand his reads. Do you think a QB coach who is at a team that runs a pro style offense first priority is to teach his QB how to run ?

And if you want to keep trying to help you make you point, pointing out we have lost to Duke 3 of 4 times. Then what does it mean that have we beat VT the last 2 years, or 2 out of the last 3 years we beat uga.

Oh, I agree. Changes won't be made anytime soon. The downward trend will continue. I don't see any reason to think that...Suddenly, STs are going to improve on their own nor will TM's throwing mechanics. It'd be nice to see what we have in Lucas Johnson, from all accounts a great passer AND runner. It'd stink to lose that kid to a transfer due to lack of playing time.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So you're OK with TM's throwing mechanics?

Really? Have you watched any other QB at a level of HS or above throw the football? Since you don't appear to have, let me tell you some basics. It's like throwing a baseball: Step into the throw and let your weight be moving forward, towards the target. Do not throw off your back foot and, for god's sake this shouldn't need to be said but don't just fall backwards onto the ground like a catfish. Even the most Wishboney of Option QBs knows this.
Did I say I was Ok ? All I said was don't make things up to try and prove a point. And yes I know the right mechanics to throw a football . But its not easy if you don't have blocking. Is our passing game poor ? Yes, I know it and most on here do. But to continue to say things like a coach is teaching him to throw off his backfoot or saying that our QB falls backwards on the ground like a catfish does not prove one thing other then you don't like CPJ or our offense.

If GT stumbles to a losing season in 2018 do you think GT will have a new head coach in 2019?

No, I think CPJ is here for another 5-10 years. It's why I'm pointing out technique-coaching stuff, in hopes that it gets fixed. The Triple Option and 5-8 pass attempts isn't going away but there's no reason we can't improve FUNDAMENTALS on ST and Defense. We don't need a new coach to instruct guys on the concept of Angles To Ball Carriers or How To Kick The Damn Ball Into The End Zone, etc etc etc. Nor "How To Throw A Football" properly.

For a Season Ticket package, I'll come down there and instruct TM on how to throw. Or just start Lucas Johnson before he decides to transfer.

Did I say I was Ok ? All I said was don't make things up to try and prove a point. And yes I know the right mechanics to throw a football . But its not easy if you don't have blocking. Is our passing game poor ? Yes, I know it and most on here do. But to continue to say things like a coach is teaching him to throw off his backfoot or saying that our QB falls backwards on the ground like a catfish does not prove one thing other then you don't like CPJ or our offense.

I don't - you're right. But neither of our opinions changes the fact that...thru the entirety of the season to date, TM's throwing mechanics have gotten worse, not better. And there were at least 3 pass plays on Saturday where he had plenty of time and still throws off the back foot, causing those floaters or mis-timed passes.

And if he doesn't have time in the pocket, WHY WHY WHY keep running 40 yd Post Bombs that require (get ready for it!) TIME IN THE POCKET?????? If you, as a coach, see your QB running for his life, STOP THROWING BOMBS and start throwing some quicker stuff. The Duke Swing Pass worked well for them and god knows we've got A-backs who can catch and are quick....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No, I think CPJ is here for another 5-10 years. It's why I'm pointing out technique-coaching stuff, in hopes that it gets fixed. The Triple Option and 5-8 pass attempts isn't going away but there's no reason we can't improve FUNDAMENTALS on ST and Defense. We don't need a new coach to instruct guys on the concept of Angles To Ball Carriers or How To Kick The Damn Ball Into The End Zone, etc etc etc. Nor "How To Throw A Football" properly.

For a Season Ticket package, I'll come down there and instruct TM on how to throw. Or just start Lucas Johnson before he decides to transfer.
Serious question , do you get to go to any practices ? Because like most on here unless they are a parent of a player the only time I got to see LJ was at the spring game . And that one time did not prove he needed to start.
And I do agree we need short passes more than 40 yards passes.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't - you're right. But neither of our opinions changes the fact that...thru the entirety of the season to date, TM's throwing mechanics have gotten worse, not better. And there were at least 3 pass plays on Saturday where he had plenty of time and still throws off the back foot, causing those floaters or mis-timed passes.

And if he doesn't have time in the pocket, WHY WHY WHY keep running 40 yd Post Bombs that require (get ready for it!) TIME IN THE POCKET?????? If you, as a coach, see your QB running for his life, STOP THROWING BOMBS and start throwing some quicker stuff. The Duke Swing Pass worked well for them and god knows we've got A-backs who can catch and are quick....
See I knew we could find something we agree on :)

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
So you're OK with our STs? KO Return team looking good? PK making a ton of chip-shot FGs? Punt Return team not allowing big returns? Great angles being made towards opponent returners? Amazing tackling techniques most of the time?

You're all good with that - no coaching issues at all? Or are you gonna throw some more insults my way, since I have the guts to point it out and not worship the ground CPJ walks on?

Honestly, I could care less what you think. I was just trying to help you understand why other posters call you "completely clueless.".

The rest of the ACC was absolutely awful during that period as well.

Duke, 'Cuse, Pitt, and BC are godawful bad right now though and UVA's been mostly dogcrap for the past few decades. You can usually throw Wake in.

FSU was better then but Clemson is much, much better now. Maryland, UNC, 'State....meh - they were mediocre at best, you're right.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If GT stumbles to a losing season in 2018 do you think GT will have a new head coach in 2019?

Depends. If we have limited injuries, and we end up with a losing record because the wheels fell off the bus, then yes, I think you might see TStan make a change. If we end up with another 2015 where injuries decimate us, then I could see TStan giving CPJ one more year.

2018s schedule is interesting. In addition to uga, we also have USF on the OoC schedule, in addition to Bowling Green and Alcorn State. Louisville away for our other ACC crossover, and VT away as well. While I think we can beat any team on our schedule next year, including Clemson, I can easily see another 5-6+ loss season if our O does not get better. If the offense continues to be the reason that we are losing these games, then yes, I think TStan might indeed make a move. I don't know that I would necessarily agree with it, but I would understand it.

All of this assumes that he could generate the cash for the buyouts.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Depends. If we have limited injuries, and we end up with a losing record because the wheels fell off the bus, then yes, I think you might see TStan make a change. If we end up with another 2015 where injuries decimate us, then I could see TStan giving CPJ one more year.

2018s schedule is interesting. In addition to uga, we also have USF on the OoC schedule, in addition to Bowling Green and Alcorn State. Louisville away for our other ACC crossover, and VT away as well. While I think we can beat any team on our schedule next year, including Clemson, I can easily see another 5-6+ loss season if our O does not get better. If the offense continues to be the reason that we are losing these games, then yes, I think TStan might indeed make a move. I don't know that I would necessarily agree with it, but I would understand it.

All of this assumes that he could generate the cash for the buyouts.
The optimistic GT fan that I am believes at the very least the 2018 GT football should be 8-4.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The optimistic GT fan that I am believes at the very least the 2018 GT football should be 8-4.

Honestly, I agree with you there. I think VT might well lose their coach this offseason, with all the current vacancies up for grabs, and even if they keep him, I don't think they are anywhere close to the same team they used to be. I think Miami is overrated right now, and will come back to earth again next season as well. USF, in spite of their 9-1 record right now, really doesn't scare me. I think the uga/Clemson/Louisville/Miami games are all tossups to lean L. I think VT, UVA, and Duke are all tossups to lean W. AS, BG, Pitt, UNC, and USF should all be wins. But that's why we play the games...

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I agree with you there. I think VT might well lose their coach this offseason, with all the current vacancies up for grabs, and even if they keep him, I don't think they are anywhere close to the same team they used to be. I think Miami is overrated right now, and will come back to earth again next season as well. USF, in spite of their 9-1 record right now, really doesn't scare me. I think the uga/Clemson/Louisville/Miami games are all tossups to lean L. I think VT, UVA, and Duke are all tossups to lean W. AS, BG, Pitt, UNC, and USF should all be wins. But that's why we play the games...
There is a pretty good chance that Fuente could go somewhere like Tennessee,Florida or Texas A&M. I could see Bud Foster being named head coach if that happens and VT having a mediocre to poor 2018. I think Bud Foster would be VT's version of Ed Orgeron.