State of program

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not for replacing CPJ or Roof. I just think we ( being the "Homers" that we are ) tend to overestimate our talent level. When Coach says "missed
assignments" so consistently, I hear that we got out muscled, or out quicked instead. We have good players. They are good men and represent our school well. We just need more big play guys, some game changers.

It was Duke.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And if you want to keep trying to help you make you point, pointing out we have lost to Duke 3 of 4 times. Then what does it mean that have we beat VT the last 2 years, or 2 out of the last 3 years we beat uga.

Think about this. Say we DID win Saturday. That would be 3 out of 4 against Uga during the same stretch we went 1-3 against Duke. Please reread that sentence slowly and let it sink in. IF this were to happen, all of us sinners need to get our affairs in order and just be ready. This would be a sign of the impending apocolypse. If I have offended any of you somehow, someway I want to apologize now and in public. And it would be the most Tech like feat that I have ever seen in a lifetime of beating the Bear in Birmingham one week and losing to Memphis the next. Or tying the #1 ranked team in the nation to avoid going completely 0-fer against the D1 schools or whatever they were called back in the day. Getting beat by Furman. AT home no less. In fact, the more I think about the ridiculousness (sp?) of this, the more I think it is likely that we will win. It would just be so Tech like. I'm calling it now..GT 28, Uga 24. Book it.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'm not for replacing CPJ or Roof. I just think we ( being the "Homers" that we are ) tend to overestimate our talent level. When Coach says "missed
assignments" so consistently, I hear that we got out muscled, or out quicked instead. We have good players. They are good men and represent our school well. We just need more big play guys, some game changers.

Actually, " Missed assignments" are players doing the wrong thing on a play. Its honestly the difference between a loss like duke and a loss like clemson. Against duke, on offense in the first half we had very few missed assignments and it showed, we scored on 3 of 4 drives and the one we didn't score on we had the right play call and their DE makes a hell of an athletic play on a ball TM puts jsut a little too shallow.

Defensively however, oh boy and IBeeballin can probably speak to this too, but our run fits were horrible, our key recognition was amazingly bad. Duke really only ran abotu 6 or 7 play concepts at us and our safeties were in the wrong coverages so much to the point that there is NO way that was the called coverage. For instance, the swing pass we had such trouble with, We were in zone, technically the call was for the nickle ( duke always ran this pass into the slot side) to shoot outside on contain/play the swing and the linebacker should have rolled inside leverage for slant coverage and out. Several times Lawrence just played the slot and didn't pass off the receiver inside. That's a missed assignment.

Against clemson, our offense would get hat on a hat, and people would get beat. That is getting physically dominated. That rarely happened in the second half against duke. Usually what i saw happenign was TM was making the incorrect presnap read based on the duke blitz alignment.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Actually, " Missed assignments" are players doing the wrong thing on a play. Its honestly the difference between a loss like duke and a loss like clemson. Against duke, on offense in the first half we had very few missed assignments and it showed, we scored on 3 of 4 drives and the one we didn't score on we had the right play call and their DE makes a hell of an athletic play on a ball TM puts jsut a little too shallow.

Defensively however, oh boy and IBeeballin can probably speak to this too, but our run fits were horrible, our key recognition was amazingly bad. Duke really only ran abotu 6 or 7 play concepts at us and our safeties were in the wrong coverages so much to the point that there is NO way that was the called coverage. For instance, the swing pass we had such trouble with, We were in zone, technically the call was for the nickle ( duke always ran this pass into the slot side) to shoot outside on contain/play the swing and the linebacker should have rolled inside leverage for slant coverage and out. Several times Lawrence just played the slot and didn't pass off the receiver inside. That's a missed assignment.

Against clemson, our offense would get hat on a hat, and people would get beat. That is getting physically dominated. That rarely happened in the second half against duke. Usually what i saw happenign was TM was making the incorrect presnap read based on the duke blitz alignment.
It’s almost impossible to win when the defense plays like that. At the same time CPJ didn’t do us any favors in the third quarter going deep on the first play of each drive. Sure...if it worked and what not, but it’s low percentage and the run game was working. Instead we put ourselves behind the sticks when we couldn’t get a stop on the other side. Seems like maybe when you’re falling apart like that on defense it’s better to grind it out.

But whatever, it doesn’t matter. Gotta let that one go.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
It was Duke.
Understood. I didn't have the advantage of actually watching the game here in Wisconsin. But at some point, who is responsible for missed assignments? The players don't care, or they don't know? Or are they a step slow, or the opponent could shed your block quickly, due to talent ? If the opponent is doing something unexpected, CPJ always denies he has not seen it before. At this point he seems almost incredulous that his players don't understand what they need to do. Who's fault is that? The " teacher's" or the " student's"? I realize DOOK had a long time to prepare, but from what I could tell, the in-game adjustments were not effective on either side of the ball. To me, this has been the "state of the program" for many years......

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It’s almost impossible to win when the defense plays like that. At the same time CPJ didn’t do us any favors in the third quarter going deep on the first play of each drive. Sure...if it worked and what not, but it’s low percentage and the run game was working. Instead we put ourselves behind the sticks when we couldn’t get a stop on the other side. Seems like maybe when you’re falling apart like that on defense it’s better to grind it out.

But whatever, it doesn’t matter. Gotta let that one go.

BUT if those passes would have been completed... (yeah I know.. if IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts, yada, yada, yada...)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So state of the program...here is our record in conference games every year under CPJ:

2017: 4-4
2016: 4-4
2015: 1-7
2014: 6-3
2013: 5-3
2012: 5-4
2011: 5-3
2010: 4-4
2009: 8-1
2008: 5-3

So think about this for a second...since beating Clemson for the ACC championship we are 34-32 in ACC games. That is not very good. The program is not in a great place, but it’s not a dumpster fire either. Needs improvement for sure.

Care to throw ugag in there year by year. Screw the ACC as compared to ugag.

Just my opinion, but that was how I was raised.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really like CPJ but am also concerned about staleness of the program. AD's don't make coaching decisions based on wins/losses or how good/bad they think the coach is. They make coaching decisions based on interest in the program. Right now there is a lot of apathy. If the AD believes the apathy is bad, then sometimes a new coach may raise interest level just from newness. We are getting close to that point.
Apathy = f (losses). I didn't see any apathy to speak of last year, especially after the bowl game. I'm pretty sure that Stan will make any decision as a result of more objective factors. Further, I doubt that anyone in his position would look at this year and see some kind of coaching failure; we're very close to 7 - 8 wins (about what I predicted, btw). As Coach has said many times - yesterday was just the most recent - he could sure use more resources, particularly in his staff. I'm pretty sure Stan will try hard to get them for him.

Or, short ttp, I doubt a coaching change is warranted at present, especially on the basis of what fans think about it.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Care to throw ugag in there year by year. Screw the ACC as compared to ugag.

Just my opinion, but that was how I was raised.

Yeah, 3-6 ain't great, for sure, but I think if you asked most Tech fans if they're realistically take winning 1 out of 3 against those guys they'd say absolutely. FWIW, it should probably be 5-4, but that doesn't make it feel better. A win on Saturday to get to 4-6 would actually go a long way towards making most of us feel better.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So here's the bottom line, if we lose Saturday and end up at 5-6 then that's two losing seasons in three years. Another losing season in 2018 or 2019 would mean it's time of a change IMHO. That being said, I'm going to sit back and watch and keep cheering on my team. Hopefully it doesn't come to that...

Milwaukee

Banned
Understood. I didn't have the advantage of actually watching the game here in Wisconsin. But at some point, who is responsible for missed assignments? The players don't care, or they don't know? Or are they a step slow, or the opponent could shed your block quickly, due to talent ? If the opponent is doing something unexpected, CPJ always denies he has not seen it before. At this point he seems almost incredulous that his players don't understand what they need to do. Who's fault is that? The " teacher's" or the " student's"? I realize DOOK had a long time to prepare, but from what I could tell, the in-game adjustments were not effective on either side of the ball. To me, this has been the "state of the program" for many years......

It should've been on your local fsn alternate channel. For future reference.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Eason can't start for Miami in 2018. He'll have to sit a year per NCAA undergrad transfer rules. Unless, of course, he manages to graduate from uga in 2 years...

Meh. After UNC, the NCAA has no teeth anymore when it comes to major programs like LSU. Ole Miss might feel the hammer, though...

Has not kirby ruled he will not release players to um, gt, and other sec schools?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I like watching CPJ’s offense and I think he has done a good job of getting the most out of our recruits. I wonder sometimes though how many potential recruits overlook us because of the offense we run. I would really like to see us be more aggressive on defense. I would also like to see more blitzes and I just don’t understand why the DBs give the receivers so much cushion (up to 10 yards).

As far as the program goes, I’d hate to see CPJ go. His winning percentage is comparable to O’Leary and Gailey even though the ACC is arguably much tougher than it was under these two coaches.

GT’s academics are a major challenge for athletics. Compare GT’s majors against UGA’s, for example. It is like comparing apples and oranges when considering academic rigor. My bet is that a lot of 5-Star recruits hope to play in the NFL so they aren’t concerned with the degree they earn. If I’m right, which school would this recruit pick? Our recruits have accepted a major challenge in the classroom and on the field.

We need more and better fan support. The guys in section 101 on about the 25th row need to give the rest of fans a cheering lesson; they are engaged the entire game. There are too many folks sitting on their behinds even when things are going well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
So you're OK with our STs? KO Return team looking good? PK making a ton of chip-shot FGs? Punt Return team not allowing big returns? Great angles being made towards opponent returners? Amazing tackling techniques most of the time?

You're all good with that - no coaching issues at all? Or are you gonna throw some more insults my way, since I have the guts to point it out and not worship the ground CPJ walks on?
I think CPJ himself said STs were "horrific"...not sure where to go from there...

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, one win away. Against Wake, in the biggest down year for the ACC during my life. So maybe he got the tiniest of whiffs of both. I wouldn't trade that for an ACC champ, Orange Bowl champ, 2nd Orange Bowl appearance, multiple ACC title game appearances.
You forgot a big one: any wins at all over ugag.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
As far as the program goes, I’d hate to see CPJ go. His winning percentage is comparable to O’Leary and Gailey even though the ACC is arguably much tougher than it was under these two coaches.

Johnson has a 51% FBS win percentage over the last 8 years. That's acceptable to you? I don't see how anyone can call themselves a Tech fan and deem that percentage to be acceptable.

Johnson's winning percentage is comparable to O'Leary and Gailey only because he didn't have to clean up a mess like O'Leary did and because he inherited Gailey's players. His first 2 years with Gailey's players were by far his best two years. He has also had the advantage of far more FCS teams on the schedule than Gailey had.

With regard to the ACC, from 2002-2005 we played 4 ACC teams ranked in the AP final poll twice and 3 teams so ranked twice. I don't believe Johnson has had a single year where 4 final AP ranked ACC teams were on the schedule, and I believe only 3 times in 9 years have there been 3 teams on the schedule so ranked. With divisional play, you can't say that the ACC is "much tougher", starting with the fact that we don't play a top 5 ranked FSU every year like we used to. Clemson is better, but they were frequently ranked when we played both them and FSU.

O'Leary had 5 consecutive final AP top 25 teams. Any argument that Johnson is as good as O'Leary goes out the window based on that one statistic. Johnson has had 2 final AP ranked teams in 10 years, and one of those was due to Gailey's recruiting

51% FBS win percentage over the last 8 years---if you are for Johnson, you are for continued mediocrity. Period. No debate about it.

And by the way, Johnson's win percentage for the three years prior to Roof: 52.5% Since Roof: 56.5% Is Roof really the problem?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
#1 - Don’t question me being a fan. #2 - You can cherry pick and abuse statistics however you like. This is America. However, by definition and comparison, most of the statistics you presented are statistically insignificant. #3 - CPJ inherited a team that was on probation and was 9 scholarships under the max of 85, which included 3 senior walk-ons. #4 - You tried to refute my points but presented no solutions of your own. #5 - This year we started the season with the 9th most difficult schedule in the country and before the VT game our remaining schedule was ranked second only behind Auburn. My point about the ACC was that the conference, as a whole, is stronger than it was when Gailey or O’Leary coached. FSU and Clemson is not the ACC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk