State of program

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Who coaces our WR guys. Seems it is a 50 yard pass or nothing. We have not shown any quick intermediary or bubble screen passes. We are very predictable on passing. Duke had our long stuff well covered all night. No open passes like against VT. Even when we hit them they were well covered. Not sure what PJ is seeing in practice but seems we are feast or fathom on passing.

PJ calls the plays.
btw--our effort at a screen pass resulted in a int. hmmm--but you are right ,it is a BAD pssing game

slugboy

Staff member
I appreciate the venting and the need for venting. Not saying I'm right here, but some of the things I think:
  1. I think the guy who does "Football Study Hall" asked "If you could spend 15 points into your ideal coach in these 4 categories, how would you spend them?" and his response was "Recruiting = 5; Player Development = 5; In-Game Coaching =3; Ethics = 2". I think CPJ comes out about "2/3/5/5", and I'm possibly rating him high on player development.
  2. We do a little bit of moneyball with the triple option scheme because we aren't competing for exactly the same players, but we have a lot of QBs, A-Backs, and B-Backs. We lost our top two B-Backs in the offseason, and we still ended up with depth there. If we lost our top two DTs or OTs, we'd be done for the season, and we start two of each and rotate on the DL. We don't recruit enough linemen. We always seem thin on both lines. I think back to Matt Millen running the Detroit Lions, where he kept drafting skill players but no one who could block. We're a STEM school, we should be able to figure out how to manage our roster.
  3. Stanford got their program where they are on player development (they blazed the trail with their strength and conditioning coaches). We seem to have the smallest football staff in the ACC http://www.roanoke.com/hokies/how-d...cle_1233aa48-3b03-11e7-a249-9b33d1436de1.html. We're concerned about recruiting support, but there are other areas where we have smaller staff also.
  4. Looking at Wake under Jim Grobe: He didn't have the most amazing recruiting classes, but you knew everyone on the team could block and tackle when they got on the field. Our tackling looked rough yesterday, and Duke looked faster than we did--at least getting to their blocks and getting off of ours. The best cut block of the game was on one of their runs into the end zone.
  5. Here's the pre-season All-ACC team: http://www.theacc.com/news/2017/7/19/596f73f3e4b0f351c08309bc_131480904154960570.aspx. We had Dedrick Mills on it. BC had a linebacker. Pitt had a tackle. We don't have to out-recruit FSU, but I'd love to have us out-recruit/out-develop BC, UVA, NCST, and others.
  6. I bet CPJ would ridicule the heck out of me if I brought this up on his call in show though. I still think he's putting a lot of his chips on the wrong bets though.

Who coaces our WR guys. Seems it is a 50 yard pass or nothing. We have not shown any quick intermediary or bubble screen passes. We are very predictable on passing. Duke had our long stuff well covered all night. No open passes like against VT. Even when we hit them they were well covered. Not sure what PJ is seeing in practice but seems we are feast or fathom on passing.

It's the dumbest passing scheme in Div 1 football. No sideline routes. No slants. No medium passing whatsoever. Just TM throwing bombs off his back foot and falling down...and hoping that the guy somehow comes down with a wobbly poorly-thrown duck.

It's asinine.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate the venting and the need for venting. Not saying I'm right here, but some of the things I think:
  1. I think the guy who does "Football Study Hall" asked "If you could spend 15 points into your ideal coach in these 4 categories, how would you spend them?" and his response was "Recruiting = 5; Player Development = 5; In-Game Coaching =3; Ethics = 2". I think CPJ comes out about "2/3/5/5", and I'm possibly rating him high on player development.
  2. We do a little bit of moneyball with the triple option scheme because we aren't competing for exactly the same players, but we have a lot of QBs, A-Backs, and B-Backs. We lost our top two B-Backs in the offseason, and we still ended up with depth there. If we lost our top two DTs or OTs, we'd be done for the season, and we start two of each and rotate on the DL. We don't recruit enough linemen. We always seem thin on both lines. I think back to Matt Millen running the Detroit Lions, where he kept drafting skill players but no one who could block. We're a STEM school, we should be able to figure out how to manage our roster.
  3. Stanford got their program where they are on player development (they blazed the trail with their strength and conditioning coaches). We seem to have the smallest football staff in the ACC http://www.roanoke.com/hokies/how-d...cle_1233aa48-3b03-11e7-a249-9b33d1436de1.html. We're concerned about recruiting support, but there are other areas where we have smaller staff also.
  4. Looking at Wake under Jim Grobe: He didn't have the most amazing recruiting classes, but you knew everyone on the team could block and tackle when they got on the field. Our tackling looked rough yesterday, and Duke looked faster than we did--at least getting to their blocks and getting off of ours. The best cut block of the game was on one of their runs into the end zone.
  5. Here's the pre-season All-ACC team: http://www.theacc.com/news/2017/7/19/596f73f3e4b0f351c08309bc_131480904154960570.aspx. We had Dedrick Mills on it. BC had a linebacker. Pitt had a tackle. We don't have to out-recruit FSU, but I'd love to have us out-recruit/out-develop BC, UVA, NCST, and others.
  6. I bet CPJ would ridicule the heck out of me if I brought this up on his call in show though. I still think he's putting a lot of his chips on the wrong bets though.

Recruiting is the most important component of a successful college program and its the one that we do the most poorly. Something has got to change or we will be with the bottom feeders very soon.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Our WR's are probably the best offensive group on the field. The reason we don't have shorter routes is because TM can't hit anyone deep. This same receiving core did fine with JT because he knew how to hit a player deep and knew how to throw a jump ball to the outside shoulder. If you can hit a deep pass, the comeback route opens up. We've got maybe 2 comeback routes all year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some coaches are great coordinators and some are better HC's. We a guy stuck in the middle. He likes to cast blame and credit, but sluff's off his own short comings. Fridge wasn't a great HC, but he was a great OC.

Fridge was never given a true fair shake as HC imo. He was a great coach period. Not many coaches have taken Maryland to great heights.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Our passing game is vertical or nothing. Jump balls. No possession throws. Are you telling me that we don't have the personnel to run a 10 yard hitch or a slant? Smelter killed DBs with that...what happened to it? How do we expect to beat anyone if we are so predictable?
I heard coach say we don't throw for 10 yards because we can run for it. Ok. What if we can't run for 10?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So state of the program...here is our record in conference games every year under CPJ:

2017: 4-4
2016: 4-4
2015: 1-7
2014: 6-3
2013: 5-3
2012: 5-4
2011: 5-3
2010: 4-4
2009: 8-1
2008: 5-3

So think about this for a second...since beating Clemson for the ACC championship we are 34-32 in ACC games. That is not very good. The program is not in a great place, but it’s not a dumpster fire either. Needs improvement for sure.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
So state of the program...here is our record in conference games every year under CPJ:

So think about this for a second...since beating Clemson for the ACC championship we are 34-32 in ACC games. That is not very good. The program is not in a great place, but it’s not a dumpster fire either. Needs improvement for sure.
Hard to argue those facts.

jacob

Banned

Just wait. You're gonna get all these ppl saying that's how we've always been and all this crap. Well then let's hope the new administration with Tstan can take us to that next level!

Sad that we have a smaller staff than the average Sun Belt or Mountain West team.

CPJ doesn't think STs are important so no coach needed for them. CPJ is also the QB coach, as can be seen by the complete lack of proper throwing mechanics by our coverted RB, TM. QBs never get better under CPJ. Tevin was no better as a senior and JT16 was no better than JT14. These things just don't appear to be important to CPJ. Only crap about "the mesh" and A-Backs, B-Backs. Sadly, nothing about D-backs either.