Starting lineup

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don't do that. Besides a lot of people including me share your skepticism about Kallon. For all our sakes, I hope we are wrong and the young man comes through with a big senior year.
Can't blame a 6_5 270# guy for struggling at dt. We have finally stopped recruiting tall dt. Lets wait and see if he and gamble can pressure up middle on passing downs AND OBSTRUCT AND MAYBE DEFLECT PASS FOR AN INTERCEPTION.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
h
I don't disagree with any of your comments but sounds you basically agree with the list. Who will pass Kallon - Henderson? And who at WR is up to pass Jeune or Stewart? And who is up to pass Chungong?
Lance Austin at PR. Hint Hint Florida State. Safety / Nickle Jalen Johnson. CPJ and CTR both mention jalen being physical. Hoping to hear more on V. Alexander at the LB spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Lance Austin at PR. Hint Hint Florida State. Safety / Nickle Jalen Johnson. CPJ and CTR both mention jalen being physical. Hoping to hear more on V. Alexander at the LB spot.

Sorry didn't mean to comment on original 1979 jacket post. Lol

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Call me hater or pessimistic, but I very little faith in Kallon. Sorry, I know he has worked his butt off and may have actually improved, but imo his ceiling may be closer to Glanton and Adams floor. But I will definitely be rooting for him to be the man we expect him to be

So i am in this camp too. I feel his ceiling is far lower than the younger guys and would not be surprised if at some point in the season his time is more and more shared with other dts.

Clearly we all want him to explode on the scene.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If Kallon is ahead of Henderson and Glanton is in the mix.....I think we might be ok at DT....I was very impressed with Henderson as a true frosh. If Kallon is ahead of him now Kallon has taken a jump in improvement.

Sometimes coaches er to the senior. Even though they are not totally a better player. Roof does this imo alot. Just like alford and mitchell. I think we all know mitchell has way more talent and potential but ted likes older guys in the mix. For me when all things are equal (like he has said with alford and mitchell) i play the younger guy since his growth potential is higher and by years end is way better.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes coaches er to the senior. Even though they are not totally a better player. Roof does this imo alot. Just like alford and mitchell. I think we all know mitchell has way more talent and potential but ted likes older guys in the mix. For me when all things are equal (like he has said with alford and mitchell) i play the younger guy since his growth potential is higher and by years end is way better.
I think the reason most coaches do this is to keep the young guys focused and motivated to improve. Coaches are always fighting against human nature to become complacent. So until games start they are going to tell young players that the competition is still ongoing. However, I do agree that if it is clear that the younger player has more talent and upside that they will win out once games start.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Cpj said he's fighting to get into the top 6. Physically said he looks fine, fast, but is still learning.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

wow, what a difference a year makes. IIRC, he (Cottrell) was likely a starter last year or at least a #2.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
wow, what a difference a year makes. IIRC, he (Cottrell) was likely a starter last year or at least a #2.
Yes. Coaches were raving about him as the most exciting of the A-backs and hinting that he had won a starting job. I was excited, not just because I really liked his film in high school, but because the coaches seemed equally excited about C. J. Leggett at B-back. I had never seen this coaching staff be this excited about 2 backs in the same year and it was so disappointing when they both ended up out for the season before the season even started.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Coaches were raving about him as the most exciting of the A-backs and hinting that he had won a starting job. I was excited, not just because I really liked his film in high school, but because the coaches seemed equally excited about C. J. Leggett at B-back. I had never seen this coaching staff be this excited about 2 backs in the same year and it was so disappointing when they both ended up out for the season before the season even started.
Not trying to argue but I don't remember them being that excited about CJ, I'm pretty sure cpj wasn't that pleased because he wasn't hitting the hole hard and he was dancing more which we don't need at B back. I could be wrong but this is what I remember.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
As we have seen, inexperienced a backs are anathema for this offense. Let Cottrell learn and develop, and he will be an excellent player in time. I hope he isn't really needed much this year, but can get some game experience along the way.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if last year's enthusiasm was more about the guys Nate & CJ were beating out. Since we have depth, I agree with letting him get his legs. I hope he's hungry enough to improve, because he's got the speed and strength to be special.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to argue but I don't remember them being that excited about CJ, I'm pretty sure cpj wasn't that pleased because he wasn't hitting the hole hard and he was dancing more which we don't need at B back. I could be wrong but this is what I remember.
CJ was the starter until he was hurt.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

You are remembering it both right & wrong. CPJs knock on Leggett was that he was running "straight up" but then also noted that "he'll figure it out." He also said “C.J. does some good things and then he does some things you don’t like. He’s just got to become more consistent, learn mental toughness, learn to push through things. But he’s a young guy. He’s got to learn to play. He’s got some ability. He broke a couple long runs today.”

There was a good bit of excitement about him. Remember, he was a higher rated recruit than MM. Had he not been injured last spring, he would have been the starter.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Cottrell plays this year a lot. If I had to guess, I'd say that he's still getting over that hammy. That he hasn't practiced in a year is also in the cards. Sooner or later, however, he gets the field a lot. Speed kills and speed like his kills definitely.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think Cottrell plays this year a lot. If I had to guess, I'd say that he's still getting over that hammy. That he hasn't practiced in a year is also in the cards. Sooner or later, however, he gets the field a lot. Speed kills and speed like his kills definitely.
I thought is was an ACL?