Starting lineup

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about it again, Gnonkonde was the pre-signing day casualty.
Forget about Dennis Andrews. Dude had a pretty good year the season before and seemed to be a competent blocker.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all the hype on Cottrel. He has not even played a down yet. If we were smart we would give him the year off to completely rehab his ACL. It looks like he is fighting to get into the top 6 which means he is not going to play that much any way. Let the kid grow up and get healed up.

Go Jackets!

Because CPJ said he was in line to be a starter (on a very young and inexperienced AB corp) before the 2015 season, some posters were raving about his speed. Then everyone had visions of Christian McCaffery dancing through their heads and the messageboard hype machine took over.

Then everyone got on the JJ Green hype machine.

All the while guys like Clinton Lynch and Lynn Griffin came onto the scene and produced but couldn't outperform the internet shadows of guys who never played a snap for us.

Hey...GT fandom is good at building up legends before they produce.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
All the while guys like Clinton Lynch and Lynn Griffin came onto the scene and produced but couldn't outperform the internet shadows of guys who never played a snap for us.

Hey...GT fandom is good at building up legends before they produce.

A little surprised that the Lynn Griffin hype train never started. As fast as anyone on the team (def ~4.4 40) and big. May be easier to get hyped if you've never seen them fail.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A little surprised that the Lynn Griffin hype train never started. As fast as anyone on the team (def ~4.4 40) and big. May be easier to get hyped if you've never seen them fail.
I think you are over hyping LG's speed. I feel pretty sure he wasn't going to stay with either Milton or White and they were in that range. I see LG more as a really good athlete, physical and very agile, rather than super fast.

As far as Nathan Cottrell goes, we have to be patient. Whatever report CPJ is giving him at the moment I am sure is influenced by his rehab and recovery. Having all your speed back is just the beginning. Getting confidence in all your parts to handle cutting and hitting and stuff takes a little time. Plus, he has been slowed by a hammy etc. I haven't seen him play a down against college players, so my opinion means nothing. However, based on reports I got from insiders last year, I remain optimistic. It may take a little time for him to overcome the experience deficit and gain his confidence back, but when he does..........

The majority of our position battles will be a bit fluid as time marches through the season, AB probably more than most.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Not polished in the passing game, but LOVE what Lynn brings to the table. Punishing runner, and very physical blocker. Brings a defender's seek and destroy mentality to the AB position.

Lynn will be one of our best ABs this season.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Hamstrings nori lens are extremely common after ACL surgeries. I have had 2 ACL reconstructions and now my hamstrings are so tight. It is really hard to explain. But from what I experienced is that hamstring injuries go hand in hand with ACL injuries and it will get better the more he works them out and stretches.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not polished in the passing game, but LOVE what Lynn brings to the table. Punishing runner, and very physical blocker. Brings a defender's seek and destroy mentality to the AB position.

Lynn will be one of our best ABs this season.
I am really high on LG too. He was tossed into the fire some last year without a lot of time or background to make it work. It was pretty much all physicality and general football IQ that got him through. Something tells me he will be a really really good blocker. Additionally, he is the type to break tackles and that is huge because ABs find themselves with one guy to beat a bunch of the time. I'll bet the off season has been kind to him and he has learned a bunch making him a totally different player this year.

Another guy I am expecting a lot from is Qua Searcy. Although not the most physical, he is faster and more slippery than anybody at AB last season, with great body control and hands. Before the freak injury at ND, he really looked like he was breaking out. I would think his injury is way further back in the rear view mirror than, say, Cottrell's.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the people who are not convinced about Cottrell boil down to people who haven't watched his senior year high school film. You simply don't see speed like that very often. Also, remember that they made him run the electrically timed 40 seven (that's 7) times in the combines because they didn't believe what they were seeing. His average for those seven attempts was … 4.35. You don't see that as an average speed all that often. It's no wonder he was slated to start last year.

I expect that Boom is right and he's still working his way through injuries and back into football shape. I also predict that he'll be seeing the field a lot by the time we play the Tiggers. Nobody in his right mind would leave that kind of explosiveness (and he can run in traffic too) on the bench any longer then was absolutely necessary.

Milwaukee

Banned
Another guy I am expecting a lot from is Qua Searcy. Although not the most physical, he is faster and more slippery than anybody at AB last season, with great body control and hands. Before the freak injury at ND, he really looked like he was breaking out. I would think his injury is way further back in the rear view mirror than, say, Cottrell's.

This. Searcy is a stud and was severely missed. I'm so glad he's back.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are over hyping LG's speed. I feel pretty sure he wasn't going to stay with either Milton or White and they were in that range. I see LG more as a really good athlete, physical and very agile, rather than super fast.

As far as Nathan Cottrell goes, we have to be patient. Whatever report CPJ is giving him at the moment I am sure is influenced by his rehab and recovery. Having all your speed back is just the beginning. Getting confidence in all your parts to handle cutting and hitting and stuff takes a little time. Plus, he has been slowed by a hammy etc. I haven't seen him play a down against college players, so my opinion means nothing. However, based on reports I got from insiders last year, I remain optimistic. It may take a little time for him to overcome the experience deficit and gain his confidence back, but when he does..........

The majority of our position battles will be a bit fluid as time marches through the season, AB probably more than most.

Agreed on all of the above.

My estimate may be a little high. Took it from what I saw running in pads vs uga -- outran leonard floyd to the edge twice (combine verified 4.6) -- as well as LG's interview with JT where he asked "who's quicker, me or you". JT smirks and answers "me"; LG laughs. At the very least it's a good race. That puts the max somewhere in the high 4.5s, so I might be overhyping.

I credit the position group for leveling up; Cottrell is in the mix, but now we have experienced Ike W. & Clynch, Qua & LG got snaps, etc.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Coach PJ will you please run the triple option set in the shot gun formation. Watching Charleston Southern offensive, so many things you can do in that formation etc I'm just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Coach PJ will you please run the triple option set in the shot gun formation. Watching Charleston Southern offensive, so many things you can do in that formation etc I'm just saying

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
They aren't moving the ball particularly well.