Starting lineup

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
DE - Don't be surprised if Simmons beats out Freeman, even when Freeman is back healthy.
S - still think Griffin starts opposite AJ
AB - Willis starts but those guys rotate so much it doesn't matter
BB - still neck and neck between Marshall and Mills
I could see Simmons beating freeman out, and I agree that Griffin will win the safety spot, dude hits hard. I think D line will be a steady competition through the year.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not sure about who is going to be starting, but I will say this much: I appreciate that CPJ values seniority and past playing time. Things work best when a starter and or a senior have to be unquestionably unseated before giving up their spot. Having said that, I think it is going to happen in a few cases, after a couple games if not before the first.

I really don't want to comment too forcefully about any position battle because, like most or all of us, I have not seen any of camp live etc. However, I think a few players are more vulnerable than others, in terms of protecting their starting roles. Just a guess on my part (let's see after 3 games or so):

AB: last year's starters IW and CL will face strong challenges from the field. One, or maybe both, will succumb to the challengers.
DT: Kallon will have to prove it and may get passed.
BB: MM will obviously have an important role, but will he get the majority of the snaps?
WR: One of RJ or BS may get passed.
SDE: Chungong will be in a free for all.
SS:? Anybodys' guess
NICKEL? might be the biggest question of all.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Have we heard anything from Cottrell since he came back from the injury?

Yesterday press conf, Johnson said, Cottrell is working is way into the rotation at A-Back, think he listed JJ Green, Q Searcy, C lynch, I Willis , ahead of him. Said speed looks back to normal, also in mix for kick returner

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure about who is going to be starting, but I will say this much: I appreciate that CPJ values seniority and past playing time. Things work best when a starter and or a senior have to be unquestionably unseated before giving up their spot. Having said that, I think it is going to happen in a few cases, after a couple games if not before the first.

I really don't want to comment too forcefully about any position battle because, like most or all of us, I have not seen any of camp live etc. However, I think a few players are more vulnerable than others, in terms of protecting their starting roles. Just a guess on my part (let's see after 3 games or so):

AB: last year's starters IW and CL will face strong challenges from the field. One, or maybe both, will succumb to the challengers.
DT: Kallon will have to prove it and may get passed.
BB: MM will obviously have an important role, but will he get the majority of the snaps?
WR: One of RJ or BS may get passed.
SDE: Chungong will be in a free for all.
SS:? Anybodys' guess
NICKEL? might be the biggest question of all.
h
I don't disagree with any of your comments but sounds you basically agree with the list. Who will pass Kallon - Henderson? And who at WR is up to pass Jeune or Stewart? And who is up to pass Chungong?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
h
I don't disagree with any of your comments but sounds you basically agree with the list. Who will pass Kallon - Henderson? And who at WR is up to pass Jeune or Stewart? And who is up to pass Chungong?
Camp could pass Stewart. Despite his legend, he didn't do much last year, granted he was a freshman. 97, I think Glanton? looked good and could pass Kallon. Chungong's spot will most likely be a mix of guys unless someone really pulls ahead when the games begin, or so I would imagine.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We usually put our best DE vs the other teams LT....they switch up occasionally but not a ton. Freeman probably best fits the bigger run stuffer slot but is also likely our best pass rusher....so I still say why not both on the field at the same time?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Not that I know what I'm talking about, but isn't the SDE more of a larger DE run stopper in our defense, while the WDE where Simmons and Freeman play, more of a lean DE pass rusher?
Correct, but honestly it would be ideal to have two guys with great size and speed that can stop the run or pass rush, kinda like Clemson had last year.