Stansbury

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I literally have no opinion on him man. That's all I'm saying. Talk to me in like a year when stuff gets delivered and I'll tell you how I feel. My point is that this thread talking about how fans don't like him or love him doesn't make sense right now. He's just started his job, he's talked about all the great stuff he wants to do but let the guy do something before people start making threads hating on him.

And we're saying he has done things. What do you think he's gonna do with the 4 million he raised? Go to Vegas?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Source on the 4million? How much did the previous ADs make in the same time period? Is he over, under, or equivalently achieving?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We can’t be Haravard Sun- Friday and expect to be Alabama on Saturdays. Truer words never spoken, and once you realize that, then your expectations will be come more realistic as a GT fan.

As I said yesterday we don’t play by the same rules as the factory schools. We will never be an elite program due to academic requirements and a very limited budget for staff and facilities. We might have a special season once or twice a decade, but other than that we are basically a 7 win team each year that goes to mid level bowl games

Explain Stanford. Their academics and entrance requirements are as high as ours, if not higher. In 2011-2016 they were 64-17 and won three conference titles. During the same stretch we were 45-34 with zero conference titles.

If GT fans had an expectation of excellence on the football field like GT does in the classroom, we would be perennial competitors. IMO, GT needs more fan support in the form of buying season tickets and A-T donations and less in the way of complacency with 7-win seasons and mid-level bowls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Explain Stanford. Their academics and entrance requirements are as high as ours, if not higher. In 2011-2016 they were 64-17 and won three conference titles. During the same stretch we were 45-34 with zero conference titles.

If GT fans had an expectation of excellence on the football field like GT does in the classroom, we would be perennial competitors. IMO, GT needs more fan support in the form of buying season tickets and A-T donations and less in the way of complacency with 7-win seasons and mid-level bowls.

More majors? I honestly don't know but that would be my guess.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
He's got to do something to help us

What he (Stanbury) can do is get more recruiting resources available for Coach Johnson and Coach Roof. He can pay the assistants more money. He can continue to address the concerns that fans have about parking and the game day experience. He can work with the various student groups to instill more school spirit and encourage students to attend games. There are a lot of things he can do but firing coaches or making whole sale changes are not and should not be on the agenda. Todd Stanbury is a former player, he knows as well as we do the constraints put on our program by the Board of Regents and the Hill. I am sure that he is working hard within those parameters to improve our team. We should be thankful that we now have an athletic director who is on the same page with the football and basketball coaches and understands their needs.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

From what I have read, Stanford's entrance requirements are pretty much whatever they say they are on an individual basis. They don't have any specific defined requirements. Stanford has a very good engineering program. They also have: an Art & Art History School, a Religious Studies School, a Theater and Performance School, several culture departments such as Iberian and Latin American Cultures, etc. Nothing against any of those majors, but not every athlete at Stanford has the same academic requirements as athletes at GT.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What he (Stanbury) can do is get more recruiting resources available for Coach Johnson and Coach Roof.

Ain't gonna happen. First, the Hill looks at Tech's success over the last 30 years and is DELIGHTED ... and football is only part of it. The Hill has often said, "we don't make decisions based on 400 students". It's just not important to the administration.

But let's say you could. Alabama is an NFL team playing in the NCAA. Million dollar strength coaches. National recruiting team. Eight full time game analysts. Why? Because it is important to Alabama to WIN. Important to the state, the school, and the alumni. It has dramatically improved the University.

Look at Tech. If they were to dramatically upgrade the football program .. could they get any more National Merit scholars than they do now? Higher SAT scores? More research dollars?

Probably not. The Hill is delighted with a program that is consistently 7-4 or 8-3. Competitive, but not obsessed.

Jmonty71

Banned

A winning program puts butts in seats. A mediocre program does not. See, the Braves vs. the Falcons. In the 90s the Braves were sold out all the time and no one went to a Falcons game. Now, the role is reversed. Face it. People want to see winners. Do you think Bama loses 5 games a year and has that large of a fan base? 50% of people are fair weather fans.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A winning program puts butts in seats. A mediocre program does not. See, the Braves vs. the Falcons. In the 90s the Braves were sold out all the time and no one went to a Falcons game. Now, the role is reversed. Face it. People want to see winners. Do you think Bama loses 5 games a year and has that large of a fan base? 50% of people are fair weather fans.

I think your memory of the Braves is a little clouded. The braves didn't even sell out playoff games in the 90s until at least the NLCS. The TV crews made fun of the city because opposing fans who couldn't get playoff tickets in their own stadiums were able to come to Atlanta to watch the games.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
From what I have read, Stanford's entrance requirements are pretty much whatever they say they are on an individual basis. They don't have any specific defined requirements. Stanford has a very good engineering program. They also have: an Art & Art History School, a Religious Studies School, a Theater and Performance School, several culture departments such as Iberian and Latin American Cultures, etc. Nothing against any of those majors, but not every athlete at Stanford has the same academic requirements as athletes at GT.

Stanford entrance estimates:

http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/Stanford-admission-requirements

GT entrance estimates:

http://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/Georgia-Tech-admission-requirements

Regardless, I just think that Stanford proves that having to choose between academics and athletics is a false choice. Ultimately, I think if we had a lot of fans that were interested in excellence in athletics and were willing to back that up with their donations then bigger things would start happening for us.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Two important difference 1. # of majors and 2. Stanford athletics (not just football) has very wide latitude to accept a SA as long as the qualify as outlined by the NCAA. Not saying they would take someone with a 7th grade reading level but, trust me, their latitude to take a SA in much greater the Tech's

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Regardless, I just think that Stanford proves that having to choose between academics and athletics is a false choice. Ultimately, I think if we had a lot of fans that were interested in excellence in athletics and were willing to back that up with their donations then bigger things would start happening for us.

GT is usually ranked slightly behind Stanford as an Engineering School. GT is usually ranked behind Stanford as a Business School. GT does not rank anywhere compared to Stanford as a Culture School, Language School, Theater and Performance School, or any others. GT doesn't rank because it doesn't have ANY of those degree programs that Stanford has. Stanford does have places to put athletes where they don't have to take Calculus. Stanford does have programs that football players can be in and still spend 20 hours a week studying game film. GT does not.

I do agree that GT fans are pathetic. GT Fans do not donate as much money as other fan bases. I would bet that the majority of people who are complaining today don't even have an AT Fund account, much less make normal contributions to it. There are probably plenty of the whiners that don't have season tickets, or even go to an occasional game unless someone gives them a ticket for free.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Roll Call and Athletics funding are two entirely different animals. Athletics funding suffers not because Roll Call excels, but because the Athletics Dept has NEVER really made any serious and sustained attempt to encourage similar giving.

If a percentage of Roll Call funds were diverted to the GTAA, I'm sure that it would cause legal issues for the Roll Call fund. It would probably end up hurting the Roll Call contributions because people wouldn't have confidence that the money was being used for the stated purpose.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Stanford also has the most athletic national champiosnhips all time with 113. Georgia Tech has 1 (in Womens Tennis in 2007) as the NCAA itself did not award national titles for football when we won them (NCAA only counts titles they give out, not voted on by the press until the BCS came out, IIRC) Stanford is private, so itll be hard to ever know what their standards trully are. But to say we should be like Stanford is ignoring 100 years of unparalleled success they have had.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Random

Does everyone know about Amazon Smile? If you buy any product on Amazon thru smile.amazon.com, they donate .5% of your purchase price to an eligible organization, at no additional cost to you. The Georgia Tech Athletic Association is one of those organizations, which I only learned thru some proactive searching on the A-T fund today.

If you ever buy anything thru Amazon and have not selected a charity, you are leaving extra benefits on the table. Log in to your account and select the Georgia Tech Athletic Association, then buy thru smile.amazon.com whenever you need Christmas gifts, diapers, tissues to wipe away your tears after an L, etc.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/