Stansbury

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
28 points in regulation in modern college football is warm. Given the number of points scored in view of the yards gained during regulation indicates a high level of offensive inefficiency in that game, which is worse than warm

This board never ceases to amaze me in the way it criticizes Roof, criticizes Stansbury, and criticizes anyone except the man in charge of the football program--who gets paid far more money than any of the rest of them.
Preach it !! Some on this board think that pj is the second coming!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Its been 7-1 or 8-0 for 7 of the last 12 years. So the odds are actually in Miami's favor right now, especially given that they've played most of the difficult teams (Florida State, Georgia Tech). Their schedule isn't easy the rest of the way out - Virginia could trip them up and certainly Virginia Tech could too. But I'd say the odds are definitely in their favor. While not ideal, that's still okay. If we go 7-1 or 6-2, we can finish 2nd in the coastal and 4th overall in the ACC which will still be a good bowl game. There's a lot left to play for, and the Coastal is still wide open for us until Roseanne Arnold sings.
Yep, Tech has alot to play for but, one of them is not the Coastal. As johnson always says, our goal is to win the division.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Recruiting restrictions were a lot less, or a lot less adhered to back then. Even so, our recruiting didn't really compare to that of the factories

are u kidding me about Ross' recruiting??????. That 1990 team was dominant on both LOS. Rarer than hen's teeth at GT. Great skill players as well. and, btw, great special teams. Looked better getting off the bus than Uga and Nebraska and pretty much everybody else. Moreso than anyone else who has ever been at GT in my lifetime, Ross and his staff were the best at evaluating and signing talent. (Although Pepper had a lot of guys who were pretty good also. However, Peppers top 15 could've played for anybody. The rest probably were Tulane or Rice type of guys.)

also, I don't buy into the narrative that things were significantly different back then. I maintain that (after the 1960's), through all the various cycles and changes, Gt has maintained it's relative position in the pecking order. Or, the ratio of difficulty of recruiting at GT relative to the Bamas and Uga's of the world is a constant. Never better or worse than it ever was.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
are u kidding me about Ross' recruiting??????. That 1990 team was dominant on both LOS. Rarer than hen's teeth at GT. Great skill players as well. and, btw, great special teams. Looked better getting off the bus than Uga and Nebraska and pretty much everybody else. Moreso than anyone else who has ever been at GT in my lifetime, Ross and his staff were the best at evaluating and signing talent. (Although Pepper had a lot of guys who were pretty good also. However, Peppers top 15 could've played for anybody. The rest probably were Tulane or Rice type of guys.)

also, I don't buy into the narrative that things were significantly different back then. I maintain that (after the 1960's), through all the various cycles and changes, Gt has maintained it's relative position in the pecking order. Or, the ratio of difficulty of recruiting at GT relative to the Bamas and Uga's of the world is a constant. Never better or worse than it ever was.

I'm pretty sure some key pieces of our 90 team would not have made the APR. IIrc, I was told that they were taking courses that kept them eligible but did not advance them toward their degree.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Edited to remove comments that were answered by others already. Bottom line Stanford has degrees that are are less rigourous than Criminal Justice degrees or a PhysEd degree.

How rigorous is “ Literature, Media, and Communications”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
How bout we just set back and see what happens next few years. I believe a nicer locker room and new uniform contract will give us better chance at getting a few of those much needed game changers on D. Maybe we sign a Tuitt or Tomlinson type.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I believe a nicer locker room and new uniform contract will give us better chance at getting a few of those much needed game changers on D.

Our odds of getting those players will probably not be dramatically increased by these. Talk to some of your friends in the know from the big schools and see what really talks and what really goes on behind the scenes. It is not for the faint of heart.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Criticizing Stanford is not a good argument. Please be specific by player taking easy classes.
Google Stanford roster football. Select the Stanford website. Then sort by class, then go to the bottom (sr) and work up by player. They even have a player from ga mech in next engineering.
What are the less rigorous degrees? One guy is taking communications. How many on team? Any degree from Stanford is a door opener.
What kind of person plays football and gets a degree in philosophy? The one that goes on to get a man and becomes CEO.
We don't offer philosophy.

Better to critiuze clemson for its less rigorous courses as they are a disgrace. Hope u make the NFL but if not maybe the parks and recreation dept needs someone. Borders on exploitation.
Clemson offers a BA or BS in CJ
https://www.clemson.edu/degrees/criminal-justice

Regarding Stanford, it's been hashed out before regarding the rigor of many of the degrees they offer and entry requirements.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm pretty sure some key pieces of our 90 team would not have made the APR. IIrc, I was told that they were taking courses that kept them eligible but did not advance them toward their degree.

AE...I am not saying that recruiting is easier now than it was back then. In fact if you want to say it's tougher now, I will buy that. However, when we compare and contrast recruiting at GT relative to other teams, our position relative to other schools (from OSU, Bama through UTEP and New Mexico State) as far as obstacles and barriers remains pretty much a constant. so maybe Ross had some advantages. But he also faced the mindset (that has been ignored or forgotten in time) that GT was no longer able to be a factor on the national scene. In fact, it wasn't much before he got there that GT was having relative serious conversations about dropping down in divisions due to a perceived inability to compete. I agree it is never EASY to recruit at Tech. But (imo) all the coaches since the mid-60's or so have been on pretty much equal footing in regards to recruiting. As they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
AE...I am not saying that recruiting is easier now than it was back then. In fact if you want to say it's tougher now, I will buy that. However, when we compare and contrast recruiting at GT relative to other teams, our position relative to other schools (from OSU, Bama through UTEP and New Mexico State) as far as obstacles and barriers remains pretty much a constant. so maybe Ross had some advantages. But he also faced the mindset (that has been ignored or forgotten in time) that GT was no longer able to be a factor on the national scene. In fact, it wasn't much before he got there that GT was having relative serious conversations about dropping down in divisions due to a perceived inability to compete. I agree it is never EASY to recruit at Tech. But (imo) all the coaches since the mid-60's or so have been on pretty much equal footing in regards to recruiting. As they say, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Are you saying that APR affects all other schools comparably to GT? If not, how has relative standong remained unchanged?

Deleted member 2897

Tell me how is this supposed to be some type of smoking gun? It's a list of elective classes big effin deal.

If there is a "smoking gun" at Stanford, it was when the school said they treated their athletes like special needs/disabled students.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

We have NEVER had, and probably never will have again, a coach that could evaluate talent like Boss Ross.

He signed some highly rated guys, but I think of Mooney, Tiggle, Merchant, Rodriquez (sp?) and who knows how many and made them better players and put them in position to be be winners.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting will not improve as long as PJ is the head coach.Some of you guys think that Roof is the problem with his defense. He is no bigger problem than PJ with his offense that most recruits do not want to play in. And, please, please don't respond with that drivel " well, who you gonna get thats better" or "PJ is the best coach that Tech can have" . Let Todd look at our football situation and determine if this is the best we can do.
Are you the guy who canned Phil Fulmer?